Minor base defense?

WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
Decided to build my base in deeper water this time around (in the area w/ the red grass that's on the side of safe shallows) and i've been semi-constantly annoyed by bleeders, biters and sand-sharks. Perhaps we can get a base module that produces some sort of field that repulses these smaller pests, so we arnt being assaulted every time we step outside? Wouldnt work on the bigger threats for balance's sake, but would keep the little guys from annoying us.

Comments

• CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    I built my base in the Grassy Plateaus once recently, and kept getting holes and flooding in my base even though I had plenty of reinforcements.
    Eventually I came to learn that my base was being bombarded 24/7 by nearby Tiger Plants. I had to kill 4 or 5 of them before the issue was resolved, and then I was there with an inventory of Tiger Plant seeds that I was never going to plant, because who the hell would WANT to plant those things?

So yes, something like what you said would be very nice, even if it's a late-game thing.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I had a gasopod that kept running into one of my shallow seabases and knocking holes in it. (I called him "Magoo." Seriously, how do you not see the giant titanium thing you keep hitting?) If there were some way to deter creatures, it'd have my vote.

(Especially those bleeping bleeders and biters.)
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Repulsion turrets. Manned or automated.

Manned would be more fun. It would make an interesting mini-game if it were properly implemented.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Crawmak wrote: »
    I had to kill 4 or 5 of them before the issue was resolved, and then I was there with an inventory of Tiger Plant seeds that I was never going to plant, because who the hell would WANT to plant those things?

Once you get the Exosuit, you can find zen and peace in the universe... by PAWNCHING the ever-loving crap out of Tiger Plants! :p If it crosses your path in a dark alley and glares at you... PAWNCH! If it stole your parking spot next to the Shop 'N Save at lunchtime... PAWNCH! I've made the Tiger Plant go extinct in every save file I've made; and lemme tell you they are hard to kill on top of Greater Reefbacks... :#
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    Turrets, while prob fun to look at when working, might cause an issue with frame-rate / performance.

What i was thinking of was more along the lines of an invisible field that acts like repellent for the smaller aggressive fishies (and tiger plants). Maybe set to keep the first 100 feet around the perimeter of your base clear? Could be a base piece that you add in like any other section, or maybe pylons that you construct at the 4 corners of your base and once powered up does the same thing.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited March 2017
    Wolfarus wrote: »
    Turrets, while prob fun to look at when working, might cause an issue with frame-rate / performance.

What i was thinking of was more along the lines of an invisible field that acts like repellent for the smaller aggressive fishies (and tiger plants). Maybe set to keep the first 100 feet around the perimeter of your base clear? Could be a base piece that you add in like any other section, or maybe pylons that you construct at the 4 corners of your base and once powered up does the same thing.

I was thinking something along your lines too. A small force field that forces smaller creatures out and repells the mid sized ones. That would be great should cost a decent ammount of basepower but not too much.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Personally, I'm in favor of field-type repelling devices. Nothing to animate, so no framerate hit, reasonable from a science standpoint (adverse reaction to stimuli), and solves a gameplay problem. :)