Should we add more vehicles

2»

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Subnauticas vehicles are unique. The Seamoth is for quick transport around the map and is your primary sub. The Cyclops is more of a tank and is for transporting other vehicles over long distances for further exploration and the Exosuit is for mining, fighting with reapers/dragons and looking VERY cool with the grapple hook. While I would love to see a drive able Precursor Sub or -insert idea here-, I think that we've got enough subs for now.

then we need some clarification of why all the equipment on the aurora seems specialized for water worlds/flooded planets and what happened to all the precursors vessals

Everything on board was made for the purpose of underwater construction, exploration and colonization.

That. Where and when did the game explain that?

The Aurora was to build a Phasegate on 4546B, and search for the wreckage and/or find survivors of the Degasi. That would definitely take a fleet of water vehicles to get the job done.

And on the Precursor subs, how do we know they used any? They obviously mastered teleportation, so to travel from base to base, they probably just teleported. It's immensely faster, and easier. And to get some of the smaller specimens, they probably just swam themselves.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    While it could be cool, from a functional and gameplay standpoint I don't see any need for more. I'd rather have some work put into improving the ones we have (cyclops dock please).
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Subnauticas vehicles are unique. The Seamoth is for quick transport around the map and is your primary sub. The Cyclops is more of a tank and is for transporting other vehicles over long distances for further exploration and the Exosuit is for mining, fighting with reapers/dragons and looking VERY cool with the grapple hook. While I would love to see a drive able Precursor Sub or -insert idea here-, I think that we've got enough subs for now.

then we need some clarification of why all the equipment on the aurora seems specialized for water worlds/flooded planets and what happened to all the precursors vessals

Everything on board was made for the purpose of underwater construction, exploration and colonization.

The Aurora was to build a Phasegate on 4546B, and search for the wreckage and/or find survivors of the Degasi. That would definitely take a fleet of water vehicles to get the job done.

And on the Precursor subs, how do we know they used any? They obviously mastered teleportation, so to travel from base to base, they probably just teleported. It's immensely faster, and easier. And to get some of the smaller specimens, they probably just swam themselves.

Then why does the precursor gun have a moonpool? Seems they had subs.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    edited March 2017

True... We will need an explanation for why Precursor vehicles don't exist. Remember, the Aurora was specially made and equipped to handle 4546B and its watery environment. Everything on board was made for the purpose of underwater construction, exploration and colonization.

Where and when does the game explain that?

i think that was the original story. the story now (i think) is we are a mining ship on the way to a building sight for a phaze gait, we weren't going to land on 4546B just scan for the Degasi on the way
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited March 2017

Take a look at the Wiki article on the Aurora:

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Aurora

Aurora was built for two reasons:

Primary mission: Build a phase gate
    Secondary mission: Look for survivors, and if possible rescue said survivors of the Degasi.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Data_Downloads#Aurora_Auxiliary_Mission_Orders

-- begin quote --
    - Search & Rescue
    - Crew of the Mongolian vessel 'Degasi'
    - Ariadne Arm
    - Contact: Emissary Jochi Khasar, Aurora Passenger Quarters, Room 4

Mission brief:
    A Mongolian vessel, the 'Degasi', disappeared almost a decade ago. Corporate insurance has purchased passage aboard the Aurora for Emissary Khasar, and your orders are to afford them every reasonable facility to locate and, if appropriate, retrieve the Degasi crewmembers, without compromising the primary mission.

The Aurora is due to perform a gravity slingshot maneuver around planet 4546B approximately 13 months post-launch. This will bring the ship within range of the Degasi's last known position.

Degasi crew manifesto has been distributed to senior employees in a separate data package.

-- end quote from wiki --
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

Well, based on files/reports from PDAs and terminals, the Aurora was sent to build a phasegate, and as such was supposed to be adaptable for most any environment. The Exosuit is designed for outer space ship repairs and meteor mining. The Seamoth could be used for gas giant planets or nebulas as well as deep seas. The Cyclops is harder to justify, but I'm sure it could be used elsewhere as well.

Also keep in mind, the OS likely adapted what was needed by scanning the environment (water contamination: high) and restricts access to equipment you don't need and can't use, like space vehicles or lifepods. Also the PDA software was shipped out with vanilla 1.0 factory software, with barebone features and minimal support. In fact, the Aurora black box audio recording indicates Alterra is aware of the crash and sent blueprints for a recovery vehicle to escape the planet (which is stored in the currently restricted Captain's quarters).

Ostensibly, it's really explained in real life as Subnautica is a game about underwater exploration, so that's why we don't get cars or helicopters. But the story isn't so shoehorned that the Aurora is 'only' carrying aquatic equipment, it adapts what's needed as it's needed. :blush:
  • carter11carter11 Join Date: 2017-03-30 Member: 229294Members
    I think that adding more subs like the cyclops would make more sense to the story if the aurora was building a phase gate on a water planet would they not have bigger subs than the cyclops to carry recources and peices of the phasegate to?
    i think adding more subs like the cyclops makes sense if the auroro was building a phase gate on a water planet would they not have subs bigger than the cyclops for carrying reacources and parts of the phasegate?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited March 2017
    Well, @carter11 the point of building a phasegate is to first ferry a ship out there in deep space TO build the phasegate first. Once it's functional you can send additional ships and resources through the phasegate as needed (See Lost in Space (1998) or Passengers films for examples). Also, it's unlikely that a phasegate would be built ON a planet; the sheer gravimetric force of controlling a stable wormhole would be destructive to a planet. (Who said science fiction can't be educational?) :tongue:

So, the Aurora is the only vessel for the job. It has all of the resources and manpower to do the job, and likely Alterra doesn't want to share the glory and profit with other corporations, of having the only working phasegate in that uncharted part of deep space. (Again see above movies for examples.) Vehicles like the Cyclops are likely intended to be used for research and transport on an already established colony world.

I have no proof to back it up, but I think by default Alterra technology is proprietary (see the PDA entry for the Cyclops) and the blueprints are highly guarded to prevent intellectual property theft. Hence why we 'only get' blueprints that we need to survive on Planet 4546B; Alterra only gives just what little is needed, and nothing more. :(

(BTW I think I set the record for using the word 'phasegate' in a single forum post lol) :wink:
    edited March 2017
    I see what you mean but I remember that the aurora was also to build a colony and while your statement about carrying resources through once they made a phase gate is very smart but would it not make more sense to set up a colony were they could mine more resources like @CaptainFearless said the aurora was originally a mining ship and taking what you said about alterra corp into consideration would alterra not take into account that the aurora could mine would they not see it as a opportunity to have the aurora build a mining colony so that they could also be the first big company to spread its roots to the uncharted area of space?