Steam Desktop Shortcut for NS2 Looks Low-Res

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
edited March 2017 in Technical Support
Title says it all. I imagine it's not supposed to look like that?

w1twv4qb1l5x.png

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    coolitic wrote: »
    Title says it all. I imagine it's not supposed to look like that?

w1twv4qb1l5x.png

Weird... mine looks like this... http://i.imgur.com/XWYdRLY.jpg
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2017
    I usually set it to that afterwards. Try creating a new desktop shortcut via Steam.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    Yeah the steam shortcut is low res. The .exe icon is like beige's image
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    Yeah the steam shortcut is low res. The .exe icon is like beige's image

AH, that's what it is then.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Where is that icon? Is it hiding in steamworks and gets set as default from the game library?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Where is that icon? Is it hiding in steamworks and gets set as default from the game library?

Yes, it is uploaded via steamworks. I'm looking into it now.
    Okay, the icon should be high-res now. :) We opted to use a higher resolution of the existing icon, rather than switch it out with the blue hive icon, because this is more clearly "NS2".
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mine has looked like this since beta.
    tpqw7g7hcf4q.png

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    OMG Santa!!! This is completely unacceptable, first low res icon and you've been looking at a blank one for all these years. Money back please :tongue:
    edited March 2017
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Mine has looked like this since beta.
    tpqw7g7hcf4q.png

I had that problem too when first testing it. Go to "AppData/Local", find the file called "IconCache.db", and delete it. This forces Windows to rebuild the cache. Then restart explorer.exe.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    didn't help. Also I have since both formatted and bought new computers and shit, so don't know how that file could possibly be corrupted every time.
    btw, I used a steam shortcut. If I go in to the ns2 folder and create a shortcut from _that_, _then_ it's the correct icon.
    Yea it should be working for steam shortcuts. I'll take another look at this when I get some time.
    edited March 2017
    @SantaClaws Find the directory "Steam/steam/games/" and find the ns2 icon in there (the file names are gibberish, you'll have to find it by looking at the thumbnails). On my machine it is "a0e0d97509fbe2b1155753a75c1f82a3492de774.ico", but no idea if that will be the same for you or not.

Try manually setting your icon to that, and let me know if that works or not. If it does... that indicates a steam issue... and there's really not much we can do about that. :(

Is anybody else able to see the high resolution icon? Anybody else having the blank icon issue? (and the thumbnail cache fix didn't work?)

EDIT: Oops! @SantaClaws Forgot to mention: after you delete "AppData/Local/IconCache.db", you have to restart explorer.exe. (open task manager, find explorer.exe, kill it, then start new explorer.exe process)
    edited March 2017
    My icon changed to blank :C

Oh and plz remember guys, to actually see any updates to the icon, I'm pretty sure you have to recreate your shortcut.
    edited March 2017
    @BeigeAlert I tried the iconcahce.db thing first again with killing explorer, didn't work.

I can change the icon manually like you directed in the steam folder - BUT IT'S THE LOW RES VERSION!!!!!!!!! :((((((
    @BeigeAlert You won't believe it. But I just solved it...

I renamed the icon to "a0e0d97509fbe2b1155753a75c1f82a3492de774.ico" and it worked (giving me low res version). So then I deleted it, verified integrity, and got the high res that way... The name of my icon file originally started with "900....ico".
    *Shakes fist at Steam!* Curse you steam and your odd quirks!
    edited April 2017
    NVM disregard this
    coolitic wrote: »
    NVM disregard this

I saw that...