Strange Cave at tip of Aurora

CoonMc2001CoonMc2001 Join Date: 2017-03-25 Member: 229170Members
So I'm wandering the floor looking for wrecks when I find a massive hole going straight down as far as I can see and it's big I can do 360s with the cyclops. I get to the bottom of the opening and its BLACK like the lava zone but not as detailed with a huge cave I can only go 500m down right now and there was still 50m up to the top of the cave and I can't see the bottom I'm low on power so I head out go for the surface and hit the tip of the aurora. I didn't see any detail or resources or fish just a big empty cave and I'm not finding anything on it. Cords to opening: 1225/-400/274. 3pk1genu8ha3.jpg

Comments

• DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    I'm pretty sure that's the connection to the ILZ from the Crash Zone. It serves as a dark, winding path to the ILZ (I would not recommend this one because it is both boring and frustrating to navigate). That said, I heard that the developers will be removing this entrance, so it may not stick around for long.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Wait. So there will be only one entrance?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members

In case of the Cyclops, yes. If you travel with a medium class vehicle, there's still the Deep Grand Reef and Blood Kelp Trench.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »

In case of the Cyclops, yes. If you travel with a medium class vehicle, there's still the Deep Grand Reef and Blood Kelp Trench.

You can squeeze in a cyclops through the Blood Kelp Trench, if you're veeeeery careful.

Also, I'm pretty sure that leads to the Lost River, not the ILZ.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members

So, that means we need to start exploring the ILZ and Lost River with the PRAWN immediately, right? Now I see that this is a very stupid thing. We will enter a more hostile territory - sum the warpers, lava larvas and (probably) the ghost leviathan - and the only thing cost effective to enter there is the exosuit? Our mobile base (the Cyclops) will not have the same versatility as before.

Now, I just though of something: why bother building a Cyclops? A Seamoth for early-mid game, and the PRAWN for the rest.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members

So, that means we need to start exploring the ILZ and Lost River with the PRAWN immediately, right? Now I see that this is a very stupid thing. We will enter a more hostile territory - sum the warpers, lava larvas and (probably) the ghost leviathan - and the only thing cost effective to enter there is the exosuit? Our mobile base (the Cyclops) will not have the same versatility as before.

Now, I just though of something: why bother building a Cyclops? A Seamoth for early-mid game, and the PRAWN for the rest.

Cargo capacity. A PRAWN can carry you, your inventory, and however much you upgrade it via storage modules (which you will probably want for other upgrades).

A Cyclops can hold a squadron of lockers, plus all of the above, plus crafting stations and food production.
    Dracobomba wrote: »

You can squeeze in a cyclops through the Blood Kelp Trench, if you're veeeeery careful.

I don't even know anymore if I got confused by LZ-LR or if I meant it in an extended way. In either case, I oughta change my name to DumdumOut. Didn't know about the Cyclops fitting in the trench, though. I doubt I'll ever try, but it's cool if that's possible.

It's not a decision that was met with much cheering. It's got something to do with the devs wanting to guide the player across the various story points in order (ie, not let them miss the LR stuff) but the counter argument is that it makes endgame linear, takes away from exploration, and a number of biomes that could've used the interest from having an entrance now don't get that.

The Cyclops remains useful for transportation of materials and access to services. Getting a base set up in the LR or either LZ is possible with the PRAWN (and Seamoth for LR), but you've got a couple more trips to perform. And bases, Cyclops included, are useful to respawn if you get killed in those hostile territories.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

Don't forget that soon the Cyclops will lose damage invulnerability, so navigating tight areas and creature attacks will be even more harrowing than it is now.

I hate to be pessimistic but I agree with you. The Cyclops is a fun concept but currently it's too unwieldy to use; trying to navigate most areas such as even the Grand Reef with it is a hassle.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That entrance is being removed as it was only put in for devs to get to the area quickly while testing. It is not meant to be an actual route.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    A Cyclops can hold a squadron of lockers, plus all of the above, plus crafting stations and food production.
    Currently 51 Wall Lockers and all the comforts of home, including a Coffee Machine and a lot of Plant Pots and Wall Pots on the bridge. Thinking of putting together a prefab seabase in some of the Lockers to set up remote scanning, powered by a Nuclear Reactor.

edited March 2017
    Also I don't get the inconsistencies with the Cyclops versus seabase. I can't build an Alien Containment or Water Filtration Machine in the Cyclops for easy food production**. "But Tarkannen, those are designed to integrate with the Multipurpose Room, they don't work with the Cyclops' systems!" Well, why can a Fabricator, Battery Charger, Medical Kit be built in the Cyclops as well as the seabase, but items like the AC, WFM and even Luggage are not allowed in the Cyclops? (Power sources like the Bioreactor I can understand being excluded for balance reasons.)

I dunno, I just feel that anything that can be built indoors (again excluding power sources) should be allowed to be built inside the Cyclops.

**YES before you point out the Indoor Growbed I *know* it can be put in the Cyclops. But I prefer cured fish and water bottles in my inventory for extended exploration, instead of food that can decay.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Also I don't get the inconsistencies with the Cyclops versus seabase. I can't build an Alien Containment or Water Filtration Machine in the Cyclops for easy food production**. "But Tarkannen, those are designed to integrate with the Multipurpose Room, they don't work with the Cyclops' systems!" Well, why can a Fabricator, Battery Charger, Medical Kit be built in the Cyclops as well as the seabase, but items like the AC, WFM and even Luggage are not allowed in the Cyclops? (Power sources like the Bioreactor I can understand being excluded for balance reasons.)

I dunno, I just feel that anything that can be built indoors (again excluding power sources) should be allowed to be built inside the Cyclops.

**YES before you point out the Indoor Growbed I *know* it can be put in the Cyclops. But I prefer cured fish and water bottles in my inventory for extended exploration, instead of food that can decay.

Those two don't fit. Luggage is a bug.
    For the water problem, that can be solved by having a metric ton of bleach stored. That way you can produce desinfected water - and, with the ion power cells, even doing this (using the fabricator for water) and charging them inside the Cyclops, these will not have a cost on the power consumption of the sub.

I was a tad miffed when I tried to set up a lab inside the Cyclops - lab composed by lab counter + the miscellaneous items, like microscopes.

The only thing that prevents the full use of the Cyclops as a mobile base is the Moonpool. For some reason, the only place to fabricate vehicle upgrades (at basic level) is there. Nowhere else.
    edited March 2017
    @DrownedOut Yeah I know. The stuff I mentioned that is both Cyclops and seabase optioned can also be built in a Corridor, but items built only in an MP Room cannot be put in a Corridor, so there are some flaws in my logic (I admit it). But, there's enough room for an AC or WFM where the Indoor Growbed can go; it just perplexes me that I can't put them there. I guess I'll just have to live off of fruit only while navigating the Mariana Trench Inactive Lava Zone then. :wink:
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    How about a mini water filtration machine?

I dunno at least it be cute :)
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Also I don't get the inconsistencies with the Cyclops versus seabase. I can't build an Alien Containment or Water Filtration Machine in the Cyclops for easy food production**. "But Tarkannen, those are designed to integrate with the Multipurpose Room, they don't work with the Cyclops' systems!" Well, why can a Fabricator, Battery Charger, Medical Kit be built in the Cyclops as well as the seabase....
    Those are irritating. Appears from that Polish Trello note on Luggage that some of these could be addressed, but I don't think the sub will be getting the space to fit many of those. If there was more done to the Cyclops, I would like it stretched a tiny bit and a second vehicle bay added to allow docking both a Seamoth and a PRAWN, but that's unlikely at this late date.
    ...the Indoor Growbed I *know* it can be put in the Cyclops. But I prefer cured fish and water bottles in my inventory for extended exploration, instead of food that can decay.
    I prefer the flexibility of the smaller pots. I put 7 Plant Pots and 8 Wall Pots on the bridge to grow 16 Marblemelon Plants, 2 Chinese Potato, 2 Bulbo Trees, and a Lantern Tree (nice top up from its fruit). Eat them fresh and replant the MMPs from reaped seeds (excess stored in a bridge locker). And if I reap or pick clean the Potato or the Bulbo by accident, plant one of them back again. For when I'm off the Cyclops, I have a Centre Base with 2 Water Filtration Plants that I've used to build up a stock of Big Filtered Water. Besides that, I've a stock of fish (prefer high food Peepers and Reginalds), some of them already cured.

For the water problem, that can be solved by having a metric ton of bleach stored. That way you can produce desinfected water - and, with the ion power cells, even doing this (using the fabricator for water) and charging them inside the Cyclops, these will not have a cost on the power consumption of the sub.

I was a tad miffed when I tried to set up a lab inside the Cyclops - lab composed by lab counter + the miscellaneous items, like microscopes.

The only thing that prevents the full use of the Cyclops as a mobile base is the Moonpool. For some reason, the only place to fabricate vehicle upgrades (at basic level) is there. Nowhere else.
    Even before having the Power Efficiency Upgrade Module, with a Powercell Charger, the Cyclops is currently effectively unlimited in power, as it takes less charge to recharge Powercells. So build one in the engine room and keep swapping out the discharged cells for charged ones.

Interesting thoughts on using Bleach. I stockpiled ~100 Big Filtered Water from my Base's 2 Water Filtration Plants when I was swimming around gathering other mats. Mostly eating from plants grown on board cuts down the need to drawn on that water too.

For the rest, I'm thinking of putting together a prefab base kit and storing it in a few lockers on the Cyclops. Enough to put down a foundation, a MPR, Hatch, 2-4 WFPs, a Nuclear Reactor, and a Scanner Room, with enough Li + Ti for reinforcements to allow for greater depth. Moonpool with a Vehicle Modification Station would be excess, as I've already built most of the mods. But there are those ones needing Kyanite....

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Currently 51 Wall Lockers and all the comforts of home, including a Coffee Machine and a lot of Plant Pots and Wall Pots on the bridge. Thinking of putting together a prefab seabase in some of the Lockers to set up remote scanning, powered by a Nuclear Reactor.

51! Wow! Post some screenshots just for fun please. :)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    For the water problem, that can be solved by having a metric ton of bleach stored.
    I prefer to just process the bleach as soon as I make it, as it has no other uses. If you are low on base power and are using the energy recycling by having a power-cell charger built in, that makes bleach storage a better option. :)

narfblat wrote: »
    For the water problem, that can be solved by having a metric ton of bleach stored.
    I prefer to just process the bleach as soon as I make it, as it has no other uses. If you are low on base power and are using the energy recycling by having a power-cell charger built in, that makes bleach storage a better option. :)

Yeah, it's better. The example was to show that power supplynisn'tna concern formthe Cyclops anymore. For me, it would be perfect if we could build vehicle upgrades on a fabricator inside the Cyclops. Since, if we look at it from an objective point of view, many items for bases are unecessary, because the cyclops is a mobile base.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »

That's true, although you can access the ILZ via the Lost River.

Did they close the access from the dunes? I never go out there, so I have no idea. I just remember exploring the ILZ in creative (so I could have a seamoth at any depth and not care) and popping out in a crater in the Dunes after cruising around for a while. This was several patches ago though.

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Don't forget that soon the Cyclops will lose damage invulnerability, so navigating tight areas and creature attacks will be even more harrowing than it is now.

It's also going to have freaking shields. It will probably still be the safest option for entering leviathan-infested areas.
    The Cyclops is a fun concept but currently it's too unwieldy to use; trying to navigate most areas such as even the Grand Reef with it is a hassle.

It is a hassle to navigate the DGR, although it's much better than it used to be since they added the cameras and the collision detection. But I disagree with the notion that its too unwieldly to use - it's just a question of what its purpose is. It has a few very useful roles that have been highlighted above by others;
    1. Mass transport - if you want to build a new base in the LR or the ILZ without a 'clops, you're looking at several trips to get all the materials down there. Rather long trips too. Enough to make it a real chore of a construction project.
    2. Mobile base - with the ability to transport / charge your smaller vehicles and support growbeds, not to mention all your charging stations, fabrictor, etc., your supplies will never be far away. I usually keep a bunch of water bottles and nutrient blocks in the built-in lockers for excursions, but I rarely wind up needing to use them, because I rarely have to venture far from "base".

The devs may have additional abilities planned that will make the cyclops even more useful - we know shields are coming, along with variable speeds. Sonar especially would be a nice feature.