Suggestion for abundant amount of Gold Ore

TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
So the other day I was playing around, trying to get resources to build computer chips for all the various devices and fun toys I want in my seabase. But as usual, skulking around various kelp forests and heat vents, it feels like about 80% of the sandstone deposits I crack open have gold instead of silver ore. To me it feels like a 90:10 ratio of gold/silver, but maybe it's this particular playthrough. I (and no doubt others) have lockers FULL of gold ore with minimal use for it, save for maybe a couple power transfer conduits. What's a stranded rich survivor to do with all of their wealth?

Then it hit me: Let us upgrade our drab seabases with gold bling! Think of the possibilities! Instead of plain metallic multipurpose rooms, we could have SHINY GOLD ones! Imagine the gleam our bases would give off, as the morning sun hits those expensive bulkheads! Marvel as you show off your crib to the Stalkers and Peepers, make them jealous of your standing in life! Please, consider our plight devs, and let our survivor not live in squalor anymore!

(PS If this were to really happen, I wouldn't mind it. But all I really want just please, please change the gold/silver ratio to 50:50... I hate having so much of this gold.) :cry:

Comments

• 1badninja1badninja Oklahoma Join Date: 2017-03-19 Member: 229043Members
    I agree.. way too much gold and no use.

Maybe we could make an old school navy diving suit with it? The ones with the brass helmet, hose, and weight belts to hold you down. Lol.. would be useless but cool lmao.
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    I feel the same about that there is quite a lot of gold but instead of some change for some cosmetic upgrades, i would be more happy if it could have a actual perpose in the world.

(to be honest, i dont see a need for showing of with gold in that world because if you are stranded, you want to go home. And not showing of. But thats just a personal opinion. i do like the posters and stuff tho. It makes a base feel more like home.)

Anyways, i dont know the plot of the story because i don't want to know to much but a way to use all that gold could be the following:
    On top of the Aurora is that escape thing. (or thats what it looks like to me).

The story could develop in sutch a way that that escape ship needs to have a power boost for the startup, and the only way is to get it is from the planets thermal heat.
    That would require more exploring and building and would make it more interresting and rewarding if you finally manage to escape.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    silver, gold, copper thems conducting stuff. Here's an outrageous plan, use em for ... conducting stuff

\o/
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I feel like a gold base would look really bad but I'm sure theres other uses for gold
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited March 2017
    (to be honest, i dont see a need for showing off with gold in that world because if you are stranded, you want to go home. And not showing off.)

Yeah, I added the PS at the end cuz I dont really want it added, I was just frustrated to find so much gold ore with no practical use. In the recent March update, I'm happy the game isn't duplicating stuff anymore, especially wrecks. But the downside is, I have literally made silver ore 'extinct'; I rarely can find sandstone now and if I do... it's gold ore. :|

Although, since we can change the color of our Seamoth & Cyclops, having the ability to re-color the seabase would be nice. The abandoned seabases already have alternate colors, so there's a precedence at least.
  • NovanCrusaderNovanCrusader United States Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228373Members
    edited March 2017
    Really with the abundance of gold on Planet 4546b, there should be more electronic blueprints that use gold instead of copper, because gold is one of the best electrical conductors we know of. I'm thinking especially for the Ion power cells and batteries to use gold instead of copper especially.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    silver, gold, copper thems conducting stuff. Here's an outrageous plan, use em for ... conducting stuff

\o/

whooooooaaaaaa.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    edited March 2017
    Personally I think they should just remove gold entirely from Sandstone Outcrops.

When it comes to Limestone, titanium is a high-demand resource, and is paired with copper, another resource used in a large amount of recipes. Looting these chunks never feels bad because you always need more of what they contain, and sometimes you get lucky and nab some lead, which is difficult to obtain without the P.R.A.W.N. suit, as a rare drop. You don't need huge amounts of lead too often, so you don't feel bad when it comes up; in fact, you are quite happy about it.

On the other hand, Sandstone is different. It has a 50:50 ratio for silver and gold, but you don't need gold all that often. You DO, however, need tons and tons of silver. By pairing an incredibly high-demand resource evenly with a low-demand one, you instantly make farming the material frustrating because half the time you get something that is almost completely useless to you, and end up with a large amount of pointless junk. It would be much better to replace the gold with something else, as people's frustration is less with not getting the silver drops, but rather the fact that the other drop is completely worthless. Even if it was replaced with basic titanium, I believe there would be far less of an uproar about it.

Sadly, you do need a small amount of gold early on, which means you need to be able to find it in swimming distance of the safe shallows. I don't have a solution to this other than suggesting that another type of Outcrop to be created, and honestly that's not a good one. It might help to add silver as a drop to another type of Outcrop (perhaps Shale?), since the only way to collect it currently is sandstone alone.

TL;DR; Move gold to another Outcrop, or add silver to another Outcrop.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    Personally I think they should just remove gold entirely from Sandstone Outcrops.

When it comes to Limestone, titanium is a high-demand resource, and is paired with copper, another resource used in a large amount of recipes. Looting these chunks never feels bad because you always need more of what they contain, and sometimes you get lucky and nab some lead, which is difficult to obtain without the P.R.A.W.N. suit, as a rare drop. You don't need huge amounts of lead too often, so you don't feel bad when it comes up; in fact, you are quite happy about it.

On the other hand, Sandstone is different. It has a 50:50 ratio for silver and gold, but you don't need gold all that often. You DO, however, need tons and tons of silver. By pairing an incredibly high-demand resource evenly with a low-demand one, you instantly make farming the material frustrating because half the time you get something that is almost completely useless to you, and end up with a large amount of pointless junk. It would be much better to replace the gold with something else, as people's frustration is less with not getting the silver drops, but rather the fact that the other drop is completely worthless. Even if it was replaced with basic titanium, I believe there would be far less of an uproar about it.

Sadly, you do need a small amount of gold early on, which means you need to be able to find it in swimming distance of the safe shallows. I don't have a solution to this other than suggesting that another type of Outcrop to be created, and honestly that's not a good one. It might help to add silver as a drop to another type of Outcrop (perhaps Shale?), since the only way to collect it currently is sandstone alone.

TL;DR; Move gold to another Outcrop, or add silver to another Outcrop.
    Maybe make Gold the rare drop in Sandstone that Lead is for Limestone? That would solve the small ammount of Gold early on Problem and give us the badly needed higher drop rate for silver. But to be honest I don't know which metal would be best as a replacement for Gold in Sandstone. Maybe Copper? Titanium is so abundant (Metall Salvage/Limestone) that imo you don't need it in Sandstone too.

edited March 2017

What makes it worse is that gold ore can also be obtained from basalt outcrops found in the Grand Reef and on the Mountain Island. By the time you can survive in the Grand Reef you don't need gold, and the titanium and diamond also found in basalt is redundant with titanium nodes and diamond chunks in the same area.

I feel they should change sandstone outcrops to have only silver and lead, (at the current gold:silver ratio) and change basalt outcrops to have only diamond and gold. That way each outcrop has just two resources* to which also begs the question: why is titanium and gold found in different outcroppings across non-similar biomes?

*Proposed resource change:
    Limestone - Only titanium and copper (70:30 ratio)
    Sandstone - Only silver and lead (80:20 ratio)
    Basalt - Only gold and diamond (80:20 ratio)
    edited March 2017
    After reading what @Tarkannen said, I decided to really look into what gold is used for and how much you'd need.

Turns out I was wrong; you actually don't need gold at all until later in the game. Gold ends up being used in 4 recipes; Power transmitters, Polyaniline, a Scanner HUD chip, and Advanced Wiring Kits.

Power transmitters are useful for some advanced base building options but never at the start of the game.
    Polyaniline is used in a couple of high-end seamoth upgrades.
    The Scanner room is unlikely to be used until much later, though the HUD chip is a necessary part of it.
    As for Advanced wiring kits, they are used in 6 recipes, most of which are mid- to late-game items, with the sole exception of the propulsion cannon.

If you created one of every item that required gold you would use up 16 gold in total. That means after about 30 sandstone, basalt, or shale outcrops, you would never need to get any gold ever again (unless you really need a lot of power transmitters.) To compare, you need 45 Silver to make one of every recipe that requires it, most of which are often repeatedly created items (Fabricators, Battery chargers, tools and upgrades, etc.).

Looking at it this way, it would probably be best to remove gold from sandstone and replace it with something else. Turns out we wouldn't be harmed by it at all.
    Other interesting things I found:

You need an ungodly amount of Titanium. I didn't do the math because it's incredibly variable on your play-style, but we're talking upwards of 500 here, probably more.

You need at least 118 Quartz to make one of everything in the game, but quartz is used in so many recipes that you build multiple times (most notably lockers and solar panels) that the amount is probably closer to 200. Better get to drilling.

You need at least 34 Copper to make one of everything in the game. Since copper is used in batteries and power cells, you mileage with this resource varies depending on how many you collect from supply crates. The more you collect, the less need there is for collecting copper, so I think it's one of the most balanced resources in the game.

You only need 7 diamond and 5 Kyanite to make one of everything in the game, and they're all one-time recipes (unless you need more purple artifacts. In that case add 2 diamond per artifact).

You need 8 Aluminum Oxide crystals for all upgrades and the Prawn suit. Since you're likely to max out 2 depth modules, add 3 to that for a total of 11. You'll also need 33 Lithium to do much of the same (also assuming you max 2 depth modules).

You need 3 Sulphur and 5 Magnetite for their respective recipes. Guess they should be rarer.

You need 0 Mercury Oxide and 0 Nickel ore. That's early access, folks.

• Toruk_MaktoToruk_Makto Italy Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227945Members

You need an ungodly amount of Titanium. I didn't do the math because it's incredibly variable on your play-style, but we're talking upwards of 500 here, probably more.

You need at least 118 Quartz to make one of everything in the game, but quartz is used in so many recipes that you build multiple times (most notably lockers and solar panels) that the amount is probably closer to 200. Better get to drilling.

You need at least 34 Copper to make one of everything in the game. Since copper is used in batteries and power cells, you mileage with this resource varies depending on how many you collect from supply crates. The more you collect, the less need there is for collecting copper, so I think it's one of the most balanced resources in the game.

You only need 7 diamond and 5 Kyanite to make one of everything in the game, and they're all one-time recipes (unless you need more purple artifacts. In that case add 2 diamond per artifact).

You need 8 Aluminum Oxide crystals for all upgrades and the Prawn suit. Since you're likely to max out 2 depth modules, add 3 to that for a total of 11. You'll also need 33 Lithium to do much of the same (also assuming you max 2 depth modules).

You need 3 Sulphur and 5 Magnetite for their respective recipes. Guess they should be rarer.

Grazie dei conti.
    Excellent resource analysis. I always thought there was something unbalanced in the availability of resources and the resources used in various recipes. many should be rebalanced. (A microchip for a compass when it would be more logical to just use a magnet. This is very wrong.)
  • jahmiann1jahmiann1 paris Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228450Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    So the other day I was playing around, trying to get resources to build computer chips for all the various devices and fun toys I want in my seabase. But as usual, skulking around various kelp forests and heat vents, it feels like about 80% of the sandstone deposits I crack open have gold instead of silver ore. To me it feels like a 90:10 ratio of gold/silver, but maybe it's this particular playthrough. I (and no doubt others) have lockers FULL of gold ore with minimal use for it, save for maybe a couple power transfer conduits. What's a stranded rich survivor to do with all of their wealth?

Then it hit me: Let us upgrade our drab seabases with gold bling! Think of the possibilities! Instead of plain metallic multipurpose rooms, we could have SHINY GOLD ones! Imagine the gleam our bases would give off, as the morning sun hits those expensive bulkheads! Marvel as you show off your crib to the Stalkers and Peepers, make them jealous of your standing in life! Please, consider our plight devs, and let our survivor not live in squalor anymore!

(PS If this were to really happen, I wouldn't mind it. But all I really want just please, please change the gold/silver ratio to 50:50... I hate having so much of this gold.) :cry:

When i farming silver, i put all gold gathered in the trash box. I keep in my lockers with only 6-8 gold ore.

Raise the silver drop rate is a good idea, or add some recip need more gold.

Acutally gold is need only for power transmeter and advanced wire.
    I always thought there was something unbalanced in the availability of resources and the resources used in various recipes. many should be rebalanced. (A microchip for a compass when it would be more logical to just use a magnet. This is very wrong.)

What's interesting is picking up magnetite ore unlocks the Compass recipe (if you haven't gotten it unlocked already from the lifepod usb case) but to make it you just use a computer chip, but no magnetite. How does it work without a magnet?

Furthermore, the Thermometer. It's already unlocked on a new game, but it also just uses a computer chip. Mercury ore exists in the game but it's not needed to make a Thermometer...? :/

For those thinking "Oh, my smartphone has a compass and thermometer, but it has no magnet or mercury, it's just a game bruh!" While that is true, the smartphone pulls data from a central station relayed by the cel towers from actual compasses and thermometers. Since we're the only player on Planet 4546B and there's no satellite or GPS system to go by... :o BTW I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but all I'm saying is that it does go against a basic level of realism. :sweat:
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    What's interesting is picking up magnetite ore unlocks the Compass recipe (if you haven't gotten it unlocked already from the lifepod usb case) but to make it you just use a computer chip, but no magnetite. How does it work without a magnet?

Actually, in previous builds of the game, Magnetite was the main component of crafting a compass. I'm not sure why it was removed later. The fact that the compass recipe is unlocked with magnetite is due to the previously coded event, which has gone unchanged.
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members

I would disagree with the magnetite amount - in my current playthrough, I've used 122 pieces for thermal plants. (2x magnetite each)
    My bases have A LOT of power now :D

Btw, it could be a good idea to utilize some endgame resources for ion crystal fabrication.
    xm234 wrote: »
    I would disagree with the magnetite amount - in my current playthrough, I've used 122 pieces for thermal plants. (2x magnetite each)
    My bases have A LOT of power now :D

I always built my permanent bases around heat sources, since I love having eternal power. :love: But that meant mostly being stuck in obscure places like the Grand Reef. However! This play through I started using Power Transfer units, so now I have a base 500+ meters deep in the Deep Grand Reef, powered by a blue web of multiple distant Thermal Plants lol...

Maybe that's why they give us so much Gold Ore... :tongue:
  • CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    I eventually just stopped picking up the gold and left it on the seafloor because I already had half a glass locker full of the crap.
    Obviously I feel like either the ratio needs to be changed, or a lot more uses for gold need to be added.
    I think adding gold decorations would be pretty nice though. I wouldn't go so far as full base modules, but maybe something like a gold-plated fabricator, or gold-plated hand tools?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    :lol: Another nice side effect could be that if you add enough gold bling to your character that he decents faster. :tongue: