Depth could be deeper.

solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
Hey guys. I was just wondering about the depth of the subnautica world.
On earth we have oceans that go down to over (well over) 8,000 meters in depth.
But so far in subnautica the ocean only goes down to about 1,800-2,000 meters.
I'm hoping that the devs will keep going deeper and deeper to at leave 5,000 meters.
What say you ?

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Most of the game is already finished. While the devs probably could have the game extend deeper, there isn't too much of a point. It'd just require you to make more upgrades for your ships and whatnot. Also, 5000 meters is a LONG distance to travel. Getting to the surface and back would take ages.
  • solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
    Oh yeah i understand it wouldnt be easy for the player, but i just thought it would feel more realistic.
    But i understand they have some time and resource constraints as well. But it would make the game extra juicy for me.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Void
    Ok for real it just wouldn't happen. That trip would take so long, most of the game is completed, and what is the reason?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Why does an alien planet have to be like things are on Earth?

Maybe 4546B is considered to have a shallow ocean as compared to other water/earth planets.

< shrug >
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Why does an alien planet have to be like things are on Earth?

Maybe 4546B is considered to have a shallow ocean as compared to other water/earth planets.

< shrug >

No B) ?! Are you not feeling well, DaveyNY? Also, where's the sexual innuendo in your comment? Surely you could make something out of giant wet depths to sink your towering one-eyed steelrod cyclops submarine in?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I leave the more obvious ones for the folks who don't have the acuity to keep up with my ingenious sagacity.

There are times when it becomes self evident that the thread title in question, is below the standard of my satirical wordplay.

But please, feel free to dive headfirst into the abyss of low bon mot humor if you so choose.

B)

• kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    I think it is more of the fact that there is no reason to go that deep. Moreover, the cyclops cannot support those depths.

Lets be honest, the only reason as a player that you decide to explore further is because of the Sunbeam. Once you follow them to their landing point and discover the gun, and then the PDA explains that you are infected with the carar and that there is another facility some 800 meters below sea level. That is then technically the only reason you would need to explore the depths.

If there was no story the only reason you would go to such depths would be for resources. But all resources in subnatica apart from sulphur and kyronite can be found above 500 meters so the need for the player to explore those depths would be unnecessary.

Follow that with the fact that oceans on Earth haven't been explored because we don't have the capabilities to explore them. Which is also confirmed with the pressure compensator upgrade for the cyclops only allowing it to go below 1500 meters which is beyond the capabilities of the whole active lava zone which only the prawn suit can muster. Then the fact that the player is on a hostile plannet and whilst he may want to explore deaper, he just wouldn't. We as a player would probably call certain biomes the limit. I think the deep grand reef and blood kelp zones are scary enough, alongside with many hostile creatures such as the reaper levithan in the dunes, mountains and aurora.

Just to summarise after seeing the blood kelp zone and reaper levithans. The only reason that he has to explore these biomes is to find the lost river and lava zones so he can be cured of the carar. otherwise the player would literally stay in the safe shallows and maybe collect a few needed resources elsewhere but that is it.