Sequel Idea

TheGreatForkTheGreatFork United States Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228797Members
Once the protagonist (you the player) returns home you use some sort of time traveling technology to go to the planet before the virus and stop it from happening, the planet would be inhabitated by devolved versions of all the creatures we've seen already and there could be many more species added that were already killed off by the carar before we arrived. Not to mention it would give the devs a chance to show us the gigantic creature depicted by the several thousand year old skeleton in the lost river in flesh and blood.

Comments

• Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I have a personal rule with Time Travel. It's something that honestly should be planned on from the beginning, because if you add it to a series at a later date then things get messy.

But a chance to see bigger creatures is nice. The devs can always use the excuse of "Well there's still some species living elsewhere on the planet, just y'know not where you landed the first time" if they have Subnautica 2 take place on the same planet in a different spot.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
  • Deoxys_0Deoxys_0 Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227029Members
    edited March 2017
    I was thinking maybe the
    rocket ship
    you use to escape the planet malfunctions and you end up crashing into the giant red/orange planet and are forced to survive there now, with a whole new ecosystem and an out of water experience.

Huh. I actually really like my idea on this. Maybe I'll make a thread about it later.
    Deoxys_0 wrote: »
    you end up crashing into the giant red/orange planet and are forced to survive there now, with a whole new ecosystem and an out of water experience.

But I LIKE it being an ocean world!

Oh! Another idea for why there's living examples of the Lost River Giant Skeleton Thing!

Alterra Scientist: So, ah, we set up labs on the planet... And some of them were tasked with helping the ecosystem recover after that carar thing the Survivor mentioned. So we found some dead animal remains... And we managed to find enough viable cells to extract its genome... CLONING was involved... Um, it got loose, so there MIGHT be some kind of colossal Satan Crocodile out in the oceans. Don't kill it though, that thing's VERY endangered.
  • zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
    I feel like they shouldn't be planning a sequel when the first game isn't even finished yet haha
  • BlackMagicianJDBlackMagicianJD England, UK Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228975Members
    Sequal: Subnautica 2

Altera Mining Federation Foreman: Since you survived so well on "4645B" we're deploying you to a resource rich oceanic planet in a new system...

*6 months later the "Aquarius" is hit by an asteroid while mining and forced to leave its mining operation behind, evacuating everyone except (player) forcing survival all over again*
  • mr_manmr_man Join Date: 2017-02-23 Member: 228164Members
    I think that if there is a sequel then it should follow the story of the degasi crew and it would be an easy plotline to add multiplayer
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    mr_man wrote: »
    I think that if there is a sequel then it should follow the story of the degasi crew and it would be an easy plotline to add multiplayer

No multiplayer plz

Not here

:'(
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I really hate the use of time travel in stories as it ALWAYS ends with about 10 billion inconsistencies and whatever.

Also, why time travel in the first place? Why not just have a fucking prequel?

Regardless, it'd be really lame to just reinvent the idea of subnautica. What's the point?
    I think if a "sequel" was considered, then it would be on an entirely different planet and charecters. None of the carar or precursors here, but something even more sinister or confusing. Perhaps different terrain (desert or jungle) and new species of flora and fauna. Alterra or some other company could be behind the reason you're there.

Just a thought :)
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Perhaps different terrain (desert or jungle) and new species of flora and fauna.

But the fact that Subnautica is a well-crafted awesome ocean is its biggest charm. That's why I kind of don't want any potential sequels to involve non-ocean worlds. The ocean of the planet is cool. Let's do more with it.
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    Perhaps different terrain (desert or jungle) and new species of flora and fauna.

But the fact that Subnautica is a well-crafted awesome ocean is its biggest charm. That's why I kind of don't want any potential sequels to involve non-ocean worlds. The ocean of the planet is cool. Let's do more with it.

I do agree that the ocean is the best terrain, but I wouldn't like the sequel to be "subnautica 2" but a different storyline and characters altogether.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Having a sequel is up to the devs. Also for the multiplayer guy. They said if they make a sequel they MIGHT try to add multiplayer. But don't count on it. I'm like a lot of people. I think multiplayer would be nice. But I would rather just have single player than waiting a couple years to have multiplayer added.
    edited March 2017
    I do agree that the ocean is the best terrain, but I wouldn't like the sequel to be "subnautica 2" but a different storyline and characters altogether.

At what point does it stop being "I want a new Subnautica game" and start being "Okay but what if we made a NMS that wasn't a bitter disappointment"?

Like, that makes about as much sense to me as saying "Well in God of War II I don't want it to involve anything that I liked about God of War I. Let's shake it up, no combat, no puzzles, no Kratos".
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    hmmm maybe it could be some kind of actual sequel where its 5 years in the future and your on a recently built space station orbiting planet 4546B (the planet subnautica takes place on duh.) and something or someone sets off the array and causes the whole station to collapse toward the planet but you never make it to a lifepod but stay on the station and barely manage to make it to the surface without drowning (and I can't think of what happens next).
    I still like the sequel framing idea I've had and repeat it every time a thread like this comes up.

You go to 4546B because Alterra's interested in the Precursor tech, as well as the unique life-forms of the planet. You're sent as part of a survey team (rather than a lone member of the Aurora crew), with the job of setting up bases for long-term habitation and study of the planet, the Precursor tech, and its native flora and fauna.

The following features can be worked in with these handwaves.
    1. New Biomes - You're part of a team with SUPPORT, after all. There can be terminals or potentially warp gates that take you to further away areas to justify why you're in an Arctic Biome now when you were just in a tropical zone.
    2. New tech - Alterra's generously providing different tools for this increased study. Perhaps a Stasis Mine that works like the Stasis Rifle only you set it up, and it goes off when an enemy is nearby.
    3. Still No Guns - Alterra has invested QUITE a lot in this study, and they don't want to risk any damage to the ecosystem or to their projects (and the Precursor Tech) by allowing destructive weapons during their operation.
    4. Frakking Multiplayer - Because again, part of a team. Have the devs plan the game as Multi/Coop from the start and justify it by saying 'Well you have a team now'.
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    Never liked multi-player due to the all but guaranteed draw for trolls and general jackass'ery. Before we start seriously talking about a sequal, we should encourage the devs to consider an expansion..but only after core/base game is finished, so we can see what's left to add or expand apon.

At what point does it stop being "I want a new Subnautica game" and start being "Okay but what if we made a NMS that wasn't a bitter disappointment"?

Like, that makes about as much sense to me as saying "Well in God of War II I don't want it to involve anything that I liked about God of War I. Let's shake it up, no combat, no puzzles, no Kratos".

I wouldn't consider what I am saying as a sequel. More like a side story in the past or future. The only similarity between the two games would be the alterra tech. Possibly you are on a scouting mission on another planet and you are the only one on you team left and you need to survive. I just think unknown worlds has a creative imagination and the ability to create fascinating worlds and I'd hate for that to go to waste.
    edited March 2017
    I wouldn't consider what I am saying as a sequel. More like a side story in the past or future. The only similarity between the two games would be the alterra tech. Possibly you are on a scouting mission on another planet and you are the only one on you team left and you need to survive. I just think unknown worlds has a creative imagination and the ability to create fascinating worlds and I'd hate for that to go to waste.

Well if it was called like "Alterra Survey" (or a title that's not garbage) and had about as much a connection with Subnautica as Subnautica does with Natural Selection... That'd be alright.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »

Under a multiverse model, this doesn't happen, so it could be explained away like that.

Well if it was called like "Alterra Survey" (or a title that's not garbage) and had about as much a connection with Subnautica as Subnautica does with Natural Selection... That'd be alright.

Exactly! I just wouldn't like "subnautica 2" cuz I think UWE has so miluch more potential
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    Under a multiverse model, this doesn't happen, so it could be explained away like that.

How about instead of that just no time travel at all? Sometimes the simple solution is the best one.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »

How about instead of that just no time travel at all? Sometimes the simple solution is the best one.

I agree that time travel would be a silly addition to the game, but I was going along with their thread of conversation, seeing as the point of this thread is to explore all possibilities.