No Human Bones? Why didn't the Aurora explode in the atmosphere? What does the Array fire?

Cruster_GamingsCruster_Gamings USA Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220926Members
I just got out of a very long conversation about what happened to all the Aruora member remains. They all couldn't have been eaten and we had a debate on if the explosion could have incinerated the bones but that went undecided. A few ideas I have to clear this small thing is one of three things: a PDA entry saying that the bones were incinerated into dust or dissolved by some sort of bone-eating creature that is in the Aurora(that totally doesn't exist as of right now), a lifepod pay room that has destroyed lifepods that didn't make it out with charred bones everywhere, or a graveyard cache(don't know why the precursors would care about a proper burial). We also had a long debate on why the Aurora was the only ship that didn't fully explode into pieces(as far as we know). We watched the sunbeam get turned into pieces instead of crashing like the Aurora and we don't even know about the Degasi.(currently there is a debate is the Aurora used some dark matter). We also talked briefly about what exactly the Array shot at us. Plasma, pure energy, or something else. One of them told me to add the idea of "adding a second chat box for the lore behind Alterra corp." I know that there is probably a reason why the devs didn't put human bones but this is just a suggestion. Since the front of the Aroura disappeared when it blew up maybe the lifepods were in there. I'm just throwing ideas out. The PDA only said that there were "trace human tissues" in the digestive track of nearby creatures, nothing about bones.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Yeah, they're having a little bit of difficulties with their PEGI rating, they're trying to get it even lower than it is now.

https://trello.com/c/ioAxsslD/261-re-apply-for-pegi-to-get-it-closer-to-our-e10
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Why Did They Not Just Have 2 Versions Of The Game? A Child Friendly Version And A Regular Version? The Regular One Has Guns And The Child Friendly Version Only Has The Knife And Its Easier.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Wait, why was that removed? It was "beach!" BEACH, like the thing with sand, not [non-E10 compliant word removed], you [non-E10 compliant word removed] [non-E10 compliant word removed] PEGI pain in the [non-E10 compliant word removed] [non-E10 compliant word removed] [non-E10 compliant word removed]!

[non-E10 compliant word removed].

Wow, we're hitting Australian-level cursing here.
  • WolfarusWolfarus Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228290Members
    And yet -we- can die by various means, and our character cries/screams/groans in pain when the various predatory life-forms takes chunks out of our keister.. and the various pda tid-bits talk about other npc's dying horribly as well..Really dont see why they decided to gimp their own story/development by shooting for such a rating.

Maybe for their next game (would love for it to be in the same genre as this one, survival-building-some horror elements) they could go for a more mature rating, so we can have a wider scope of story, world-building and gameplay
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017
    Wolfarus wrote: »
    And yet -we- can die by various means, and our character cries/screams/groans in pain when the various predatory life-forms takes chunks out of our keister.. and the various pda tid-bits talk about other npc's dying horribly as well..Really dont see why they decided to gimp their own story/development by shooting for such a rating.

Maybe for their next game (would love for it to be in the same genre as this one, survival-building-some horror elements) they could go for a more mature rating, so we can have a wider scope of story, world-building and gameplay

Most of the PDA messages incorporate themes of courage, kindness, acceptance, sometimes even humor. They leave no doubt people died, but the focus is on who they were as people. A corpse can't as easily do that, or they'd all have to be glutching their most cherished possession.

I don't agree with the stance that violence has to be all or nothing. That because SN doesn't go the gore-y route everything that qualifies as harsh is a sign of contextual failure of some kind or straight-up hypocrisy (not saying that you are saying this, but I've seen the term thrown around in other discussions on this matter). There's a difference between player harm and being able to undo it with a medkit or two vs being confronted with the remains of NPCs for whom gameplay goofiness is not an option.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Don't skeletons fall under the E rating though?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Don't skeletons fall under the E rating though?

To my understanding, only if they're cartoony and without context, ie a skeleton randomly lying in a dungeon somewhere purely for aesthetics and not to make you think about that someone died.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    In reality, if animal skeletons can be found around the world, the only reason why we couldnt find any human bones: they are eated already.

actually:
    - humans are smaller creatures
    - if eaten whole, no bones are left
    - no idea what the native carnivorous fauna will actually consume
    - survivors hiding out in areas we cant go.
    And as i said in another thread, even if we assume that the other lifepod's occupants were teleported away by the warpers to be disposed of, the aurora was a big ship, and there are whole chunks of her with sealed rooms/corridors blasted across the biome's. There should be a body here and there that the local scavengers had'nt gotten to yet..

Again, not suggesting we go full guro with severed body parts and viscera floating about, but the -UTTER- lack of human remains on a ship of that size, regardless of the kid-friendly rating they seem to be going for, breaks parts of the story-immersion, imo.

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Again, not suggesting we go full guro with severed body parts and viscera floating about, but the -UTTER- lack of human remains on a ship of that size, regardless of the kid-friendly rating they seem to be going for, breaks parts of the story-immersion, imo.

You can also look at it as an even bigger mystery. "There were over 150 people on the Aurora...where the hell is everybody?"
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    edited March 2017
    You can also look at it as an even bigger mystery. "There were over 150 people on the Aurora...where the hell is everybody?"

Tangentially related... Man, ship automation must be GREAT in the future, if a ship the size of the Aurora only needs 150 people on it.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kyman201 wrote: »

Tangentially related... Man, ship automation must be GREAT in the future, if a ship the size of the Aurora only needs 150 people on it.

Eh, not really. The thing was essentially a giant flying warehouse, mostly cargo space. (A quarter of a cubic click, no less.) The actual habitable/working volume of the ship was but a tiny fraction. Kind of like how a ship with the size and mass of a container ship today only needs a 10-15 man crew. :)
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    And as i said in another thread, even if we assume that the other lifepod's occupants were teleported away by the warpers to be disposed of, the aurora was a big ship, and there are whole chunks of her with sealed rooms/corridors blasted across the biome's. There should be a body here and there that the local scavengers had'nt gotten to yet..

I really don't know how they could implement human remains without it being too gory or too childish. Subnautica is not specialized for making people imo
    As another said, there's already visible bone's (fossil's) in the game..dont see it being to difficult to scale the concept down to the occasional skeletal human remains in a tattered uniform, or even just a visible skull here and there, especially on/around the aurora wreckage. Just toss the players an immersion bone or 2, and we'll be happy ;)

As another said, there's already visible bone's (fossil's) in the game..dont see it being to difficult to scale the concept down to the occasional skeletal human remains in a tattered uniform, or even just a visible skull here and there, especially on/around the aurora wreckage. Just toss the players an immersion bone or 2, and we'll be happy ;)

Fossils don't violate the rating standards.

It's not about it being difficult to add human bones. It could be done in an hour or so. It's not going to be because human remains, particularly implying anything grim, gruesome, or otherwise violent, are expressly forbidden under the E-10 rating. Nobody is going to get upset over a centuries dead sea creature because it's not human. Anthropocentrism it may be, but that's the way the ratings ball bounces. Some things don't make tons of sense, but if you want that particular rating, you'd better play by their rules. And UWE wants that E-10 rating if they can get it.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    With the size and force of the explosion of the reactor I'm surprised there's much of anything left at all to be honest.
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Most of the PDA messages incorporate themes of courage, kindness, acceptance, sometimes even humor. They leave no doubt people died, but the focus is on who they were as people. A corpse can't as easily do that, or they'd all have to be glutching their most cherished possession.
    Could have two skeletons holding each other in their last moments.

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Sucks that they are making it even lower. They even have to change the bleeder. :(
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    How about empty suits, wadded up in the corner, or embedded in goo?

Pretty sure futuristic space suits would be at least partially indigestible.
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Are They Thinking Of Putting It At An E0- Rating? WHY DONT THEY STOP HAVING THEIR GAME EXIST!!!
    Sucks that they are making it even lower. They even have to change the bleeder. :(

Hadn't heard that yet, and that's not good news. What're they being required to do, @CaptainFearless?
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members

Hadn't heard that yet, and that's not good news. What're they being required to do, @CaptainFearless?

The devs have to change the red blood the bleeder makes to keep the ESRB E10 rating.
    Still don't understand -why- they want to get such an obnoxiously restrictive rating.. For the xbone release?
    Still don't understand -why- they want to get such an obnoxiously restrictive rating.. For the xbone release?

It opens distribution doors. No restrictions on Steam or XB1. Personally, for this game, I would've been shooting for T, no E10, but it's not my game, so it's not my choice.

I'm guessing...more like hoping...that they're aiming for an E10 so that when younger kids play it, they get interested in learning about oceans and diving rather than just widening the market for more sales.
  • CrawmakCrawmak USA Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219814Members
    Everyone else has already said how I feel about the human remains thing; I think it would take Subnautica's mysterious, creepy atmosphere and turn it into something more horror-esque, which, at least for me, definitely wouldn't fly.
    As far as the Aurora's remains, it's pretty simple. The Sunbeam was a tiny, six-seater cruiser that got completely obliterated by the quarantine laser. The Aurora is a massive mining vessel that dwarfs pretty much any real-life vehicle. The quarantine laser cut a swath across the front and side of the Aurora, damaging the dark matter reactor and causing it to crash, but even a laser of that size isn't enough to completely incinerate the Aurora.