Square Minimap Won't Generate

DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey Folks!

I started casually mapping again for NS2 and have encountered the following error while trying to generate the minimap/overview:

Error: Minimap extents must be the same size on all sides

The problem is that my minimap_extents entitity IS perfectly square in all directions! Is this a known issue? Am I missing something obvious?

c9hbdlyw74la.png

Here's my batch file for generating the minimap:

overview "X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps\ns2_cyclops.level" \ns2\maps

wait

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017
    Hmm... it sounds like the problem is your minimap extents are off by a super tiny imperceptible amount. I'll make this more tolerant now. In the meantime, have you tried re-typing in the numbers? That might fix it.

EDIT: Oh but fun fact... it should complete anyways... just with an annoying error message.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Put the grid to a higher number like >32 so its easier to scale it with the mouse.
    Then scale it in all four directions from top down view (back and forth) to get same, even numbers.
    The Y-scale can be different, so you can make it less high.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Put the grid to a higher number like >32 so its easier to scale it with the mouse.
    Then scale it in all four directions from top down view (back and forth) to get same, even numbers.

Alright, so I actually already tried this. I also tried squishing the height (since it doesn't need to be square with the others), but still no go. Tonight I will try deleting and recreating the minimap entity and if that doesn't work, I will copy and paste the whole map into a new file. That has fixed strange bugs for me in the past.

I'll update later and let you know how it goes.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017
    DarkATi wrote: »

Alright, so I actually already tried this. I also tried squishing the height (since it doesn't need to be square with the others), but still no go. Tonight I will try deleting and recreating the minimap entity and if that doesn't work, I will copy and paste the whole map into a new file. That has fixed strange bugs for me in the past.

Try manually typing in the numbers first. But again, like I said, it SHOULD work just fine, despite the error message. Check your output folder to see if the overviews are there.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Try manually typing in the numbers first. But again, like I said, it SHOULD work just fine, despite the error message. Check your output folder to see if the overviews are there.

I must be doing something wrong. I typed the numbers in manually, even rounded them off to whole numbers and the error persists. Not only that but no overview is being generated and placed in the ns2/maps/overviews folder.

I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

I must be doing something wrong. I typed the numbers in manually, even rounded them off to whole numbers and the error persists. Not only that but no overview is being generated and placed in the ns2/maps/overviews folder.

Can you send me the level file? There must be some other reason it isn't working, because that error message appearing doesn't prevent the program from finishing... so it's more like a warning.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    If I remember correctly this error msg was misleading and related to something else but Idk.
    Maybe commander_camera is missing or some other global entity??
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    What happens if you start with the launch pad to get the builder to build your map?
    Here's my batch file for generating the minimap:

overview "X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps\ns2_cyclops.level" \ns2\maps

I guess I am saying have you verified your level is in X:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps\ ?

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well I use the builder found in the launchpad to build the minimap. Maybe it would work that way.

Can you send me the level file? There must be some other reason it isn't working, because that error message appearing doesn't prevent the program from finishing... so it's more like a warning.

I PM'd you the link. Thanks!
    I PM'd you the link. Thanks!

Works just fine over here. Are you using LaunchPad?
    In case anyone else has this issue, it is now resolved. I was using a batch file instead of the Builder through Launchpad. When I run the Builder everything works great! Thank for the help, Beige!