Fish Ignoring The Seamoth

JimmyLanderJimmyLander Bulgaria Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218623Members
The fish in Subnautica just fail to flee from the Seamoth. I constantly hit fish with the Seamoth. Aren't they supposed to be able to swim away from it? No survival instinct? They literally don't react at all and I think this should be looked into.

Comments

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    A German let's player once used the "Wild animals (crossing" phrase for Subnautica. Something like "Wild fish (crossing" just in German. That fits perfectly. The cross your path all the time like they want to commit suicide. Would be nice to get a slight "Oh it is fast and bigger then me and I don't recognise it, better flee from it when it comes towards me." - reaction. The don't have to frek out like you are a Reaper Leviathan on a kiling spree but at least don't swim right into your path all the time.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    I just see it as their failure to recognize the danger in time to get out of the way. Kind of like a deer getting hit by a car. Deer's not suicidal, just stupid.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Hmm, I'm curious about this... But wouldn't the water displacement in front of the Seamoth at medium to high speed actually push the smaller fish out of the way? I've always found it odd to actually hit them, apart from them biters who just suicide rush towards you when you're inside that glass ball

And Earth fish tend to have that. I forget what it's called... But basically their nervous systems can detect changes in pressure, so they instinctively/reactional propel themselves out of harms way. Harms way being, predators biting or lunging at them... Or a Seamoth :D

Maybe we're not scary enough. We need a Seawasp as our next submarine!
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    The fish in Subnautica just fail to flee from the Seamoth. I constantly hit fish with the Seamoth. Aren't they supposed to be able to swim away from it? No survival instinct? They literally don't react at all and I think this should be looked into.

What is your avatar
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm curious about this... But wouldn't the water displacement in front of the Seamoth at medium to high speed actually push the smaller fish out of the way? I've always found it odd to actually hit them, apart from them biters who just suicide rush towards you when you're inside that glass ball

And Earth fish tend to have that. I forget what it's called... But basically their nervous systems can detect changes in pressure, so they instinctively/reactional propel themselves out of harms way. Harms way being, predators biting or lunging at them... Or a Seamoth :D

By and large, yes, you're absolutely correct, @Kouji_San. The Weberian Apparatus allows pressure changes to be sensed; as pressure changes, the fish's swim bladder is squeezed, and that movement is transmitted to the fish's middle ear. (Basically, they're "hearing" the pressure change.) Even fish without swim bladders, like some loaches, can detect pressure changes, but not nearly as quickly - they detect more changes in ambient pressure rather than spikes caused by localized effects.

So we can draw two hypotheses based on our observations:
    1. Most of the fish on 4546B lack swim bladders or an equivalent structure, and do not have a replacement mechanism to detect rapid changes in water pressure. This would increase predation, forcing evolutionary changes to detect predators (like a Peeper's improved vision) or a fast reproductive rate to offset predation losses.
    2. Or fish on 4546B are incredibly stupid.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    The fish on 4546B appear to have no lateral line to speak of, either.

Good thing most of them have eyes then, I guess. The collective mortido that these life forms exhibit isn't exactly an evolutionary advantage.

Bugzapper wrote: »
    The collective mortido that these life forms exhibit isn't exactly an evolutionary advantage.

Not really an evolutionary detriment, though, as long as they breed like crazy. Lots of species here on Earth have the same mechanic going...much as we wish they didn't. (Looking at YOU, mosquitoes.)
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited March 2017
    Maybe there just confused. I mean many of the fish are kinda slow to react to much of anything but they could just be confused by your metallic subs IMO
  • BlackMagicianJDBlackMagicianJD England, UK Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228975Members
    Assuming the theory of evolution stays true galaxy wide, then the lack of movement when faced with an accelerating submersible is plausibly explained by blindness. They've never faced a moving object beaming light directly ahead of it.
  • JimmyLanderJimmyLander Bulgaria Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218623Members
    edited April 2017
    I like how everybody sounds smart in this forum ^^ Well, I guess Alterra wouldn't have hired us if we weren't smart... but then we wouldn't have crashed on 4546B... Huh...