Third run feed back (35 hours)

WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
I've just somewhat finished my third game run for 35 hours (for a total of 120 hours)

As this game is solo and story oriented, I understand it'll not have a great replayability. Event though, I played it 100 hours in 3 survival runs and had mostly a great time (as it's an early access).

Reminder :
- First run (august/September 2016) : here
- Second run (October/November 2016) : (can't find it...)

My third run should be called : lets farm silver and quartz, until I'm fed up and cheat...

Graphics

First : the lags and decreasing framerates which were plaguing the game after several hours are GONE! My current game is already 35 hours and framerate stays very decent. and stable.

- Base furnishing is still visible through the base when driving the Cyclops. The Seamoth doesn't do that.

- Some wreck don't show. Many items are accessible, including fragments and cases, but walls and doors aren't. A save, exit and reload will allow the wreck to show up. Seems to be a memory bug

- Some entities (landscape, creatures, resources, even wrecks) pop very near the player.

- God-rays show trough base.

Gameplay

- Resource farming : all resources are not equal. Sure there is titanium, but it's VERY abundant. The main issue is quartz and silver. They are used in many many recipes. but are not as visible and easy to pick as titanium. Titanium is collected 4 at a time using very visible debris. For silver, you have to find the rocks and get 50% chance to get one. Quartz is quite OK, because they are easy to see quite abundant and 100% to collect quartz. But you need so many of them if you want to build a cool looking base ! But silver, oh boy... In the end, I cheated 20 silver, because I was bored to death to seek for silver AGAIN !

Please set MORE Silver, and much less gold (which are rarely used in craft - I had to trash a lot of them).

To reduce weight on quartz : reduce GLASS recipe to 1 quartz, and/or base window price to 1 glass. Remove quartz from microchip recipe

- Orientation is very hard, mostly because there are multiple Kelp Forests, Grassy Plateaus and Safe Shallows intertwined in the middle. Hopefully beacons are cheap to create... The compass chip could give GPS-like coordinates. And the argument of "there is no GPS satellites orbiting" is void, because you could still have inertial navigation. Subs could be equipped with it. That would help players A LOT to orient themselves. After 120h, I still get lost without using a cheat map from the wiki and or F1 tab.

- The sparse reef cache is impossible to find without cheating the coordinates. Even with them, It took me 15min to find it... Dunes and Lost river ones are fine. I didn't check the last one.

- Bio generator power is so low that they're basically unusable. I used them, and had many power difficulties, until I replaced with fusion and paradise was there...

- Building a base elsewhere is quite a pain. It's a huge undertaking. I finally had to cheat several time some items to finish some builds.

- One usage resources : many resources have only ONE recipe. That makes them nearly non existent. The list is so extensive I can't list them here.

- Mod station : As I said before, this station makes no sens. You get it very late when you don't need more time to dive (wreck exploration is basically over)

Story

- The Sunbeam landing seems to come too fast. We don't even have discovered more than the first few biomes. The story pushes me to go to the landing site and I discovered the gun without any other hint. I think we could at least try to deactivate the gun before the sunbeam lands. In that so, there is a dimension of personal failure and not a random incident.

- On the opposite, I discovered VERY late the aurora survivor rendezvous point, even AFTER I visited the island. As this island contains some important stuff to build bases, the player should be drawn there as soon as possible. It may even be one of the first goals.

- Also, I discovered the "power emission signal" (which leads to the gun) AFTER the sunbeam was blasted.

The correct order for the story should be :
- Discover and survive,
- Build a Seaglide and/or Seamoth
- Go to the rendezvous point at the floating island -> no one, it's going to be longer than expected
- Find survivor pods
- Explore aurora - find the gun location signal
- Contact by Sunbeam (maybe when on the Aurora)
- Explore gun facility (with Degasi key found on the floating island), discover you're infected and you can't disable it !
- Watch sunbeam being destroyed and despair...
- Insight to go deeper to tother Degasi bases,
- Visit destroyed research facility - infection spreads
- Find cure (collect fish and plants ?)

Base building

- Floodlight and lightstick with usable batteries makes them UNUSABLE. Light stick could be nice to pave the way to somewhere. But as you need to replace batteries, it's useless. Flood light are emptied in one night ! Totally useless to light a base. Light stick could use some radiative light source uranium + something else. That would give a nice weak long term light. As for flood light, they should be able to work without batteries when near energy source or on powered base.

- "Hitbox" for some placeable items were changed. It's now impossible to stick 4 wall storage on 2 consecutive walls of a room. It's VERY frustrating as we miss only few millimeters. Same in the cyclops. We could place 5 storage in the empty square room. Now it's not possible.

- Hitbox of rooms is too big. We are denied to place rooms even they don't touch each others, especially the round room and moonpool. We should at least be able to place one room, a corner corridor, and another room.

- Room "Support Legs". The max length is too high, the render is very awkward. Further more, there are too many of them. When a room has legs, the next one shouldn't have them. Maybe there could have a way to toggle them ?

- Reduce hitbox for Ladders, "hand ramp" of rooms with corridor connector could have their hitbox removed so passage may not be hindered. Same for the top of the alien containment when you add an empty room on top.

Signals and location

- The new beacon + subs tab is VERY nice. I would suggest some kind of partial size reduction with distance to improve readability.

- Some story directions seems out of the system : for example, the direction of the sunbeam landing location is not on the PDA. Signals items makes no real sens, compared to the bacons and locations.

- Base could have a visible item without setting a beacon. There is no real sens to be able to see the Seamoth and not a base. Maybe the radio could act like a beacon (rename, appear in PDA)

Other bugs

- I build a base facing the entrance of the IZL powerplant, with sea dragon roaming around. I put a simple room with hatch and a foundation to land my Prawn. Outside there was a spotlight and a beacon. After coming back from The beacon was 100m away, under the cave floor, the prawn was 20m away in a cave and the spot light was gone. I noticed that the seadragon was clipping in the castle moutain...

- After diving (maybe in Grand reef, or blood kelp, but not a cave), I found the cyclops 150m away, and vertical.

Comments

• pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Warzouz wrote: »
    - Resource farming : all resources are not equal. Sure there is titanium, but it's VERY abundant. The main issue is quartz and silver. They are used in many many recipes. but are not as visible and easy to pick as titanium. Titanium is collected 4 at a time using very visible debris. For silver, you have to find the rocks and get 50% chance to get one. Quartz is quite OK, because they are easy to see quite abundant and 100% to collect quartz. But you need so many of them if you want to build a cool looking base ! But silver, oh boy... In the end, I cheated 20 silver, because I was bored to death to seek for silver AGAIN !

Please set MORE Silver, and much less gold (which are rarely used in craft - I had to trash a lot of them).

Have you tried this?

Also, while titanium is quite abundant your titanium needs can also be quite demanding.

And yeah, yet another game where gold is included but kind of useless.
  • YolanYolan Perth Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215836Members
    I've just finished another run (after a year away), and I thought I'd just add some of my own comments to your thread to avoid spamming the forum. Apologies!

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much this game has developed in the last year. Really fantastic game. Unfortunately however the game still seems quite buggy. Every time I have died so far it has been from some kind of bug. I have been trapped in wreck that materialized around me. I have been killed by a cyclops spawning and falling on me. And I died when the game lagged badly while I was harvesting acid mushroom seeds, making me click a few too many times and dying from lack of feedback regarding how much acid damage I was taking. This can be pretty frustrating, given that I like to play in hardcore mode.

General comment about base building. I understand that at present the deeper your base, the more integrity you loose from adding new times. However it seems pretty lenient. Maybe make this a function of difficulty level? So, on hard core mode, for example, you could make it a fair bit more challenging to have a base be nice and deep.

• WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Have you tried this?
    Of course, but to be able to dig it, you need quite a lot of stuff. It took me around 25 min to find silver deposits (GET TO THE DUNES !) I remembered in my previous run that there were quite a lot in grassy plateaus, but I couldn't find any in my current game.

• WarzouzWarzouz Join Date: 2016-11-05 Member: 223674Members
    edited March 2017
    Yolan wrote: »
    General comment about base building. I understand that at present the deeper your base, the more integrity you loose from adding new times. However it seems pretty lenient. Maybe make this a function of difficulty level? So, on hard core mode, for example, you could make it a fair bit more challenging to have a base be nice and deep.
    Yes, but you don't need a big base deep. On room powered with thermal generator is enough. I even figure that a lonely moonpool could do the trick.

My regular base has usually as much windows as I can fit, 2 big storage, a fabricator, a radio, some OP melons in a pot, a water filtration, some outside grow bed, and decorative stuff if I can carry the titanium and glass.

The only trouble is conveying the resources. You need the Cyclops to build a base.

Main base : near shallows, grassy plateaus, shroom cave and kelp forest. I had a scanner room, but I removed it : it's too buggy.
    d0317735-d315-4ab4-a5ac-4b00f6f70b34.jpg

Lost River base : I used the Cyclops to bring all the stuff. The idea is being able to come here only with the seamoth, avoiding using the slow Cyclops. There is a dedicated Prawn here, equipped with thermal generator.
    797751ff-0432-4eac-962e-b4e42896497c.jpg

Castle base : I had to use only the Prawn, and do 3 trips.
    3bacead3-4a36-47c1-9c7b-ed12d5e1f119.jpg

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Yolan wrote: »
    I've just finished another run (after a year away), and I thought I'd just add some of my own comments to your thread to avoid spamming the forum. Apologies!

Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much this game has developed in the last year. Really fantastic game. Unfortunately however the game still seems quite buggy. Every time I have died so far it has been from some kind of bug. I have been trapped in wreck that materialized around me. I have been killed by a cyclops spawning and falling on me. And I died when the game lagged badly while I was harvesting acid mushroom seeds, making me click a few too many times and dying from lack of feedback regarding how much acid damage I was taking. This can be pretty frustrating, given that I like to play in hardcore mode.

How are you finishing the game yet? You didn't escape yet.