Enable automatic pause game while reading new Data entries found

JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
This is a small thing but might help us follow the story better. Whenever I find a shiny new PDA or data entry to read (scan whatever) I want to automatically read it. However, while I do my oxygen, food, water, etc is still counting down. This causes me to read fast, miss text, and not enjoy the text I am reading. The only other solution is to wait until I am back in my vehicle or above water to read whatever I collected. Could it be added so that whenever we read whatever data we collect the game pauses in the background so we can read at our leisure? Its a small thing but would definitely be appreciated.

Comments

• BossblasterBossblaster None Join Date: 2017-02-17 Member: 228004Members
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    It'd undo the possibility of reading to pass the time. It's not that hard to get back in your car before giving the new entry a read.
  • AgentSkellyAgentSkelly Chicago Illinois At The Moment Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228760Members
    Yes this is a feature that NEEDS! to be added great idea @Joebobkill
  • jahmiann1jahmiann1 paris Join Date: 2017-03-01 Member: 228450Members
    yes. I am tired to loose oxygen or been attacked will reading the new pda entries
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    Sorry, disagree. Time doesn't stop because you're reading your PDA - thousands of texting-while-driving accidents prove that - and games that halt time simply because you're looking at your inventory just have a built-in cheat. You absolutely should be vulnerable while reading entries or fiddling with your inventory; it teaches you to be careful, to think before acting, and to have situational awareness.

Besides, since the PDA flags unread entries, there's no reason you can't get to safety and then read. It's not like you're going to forget which ones you haven't read; they're the ones with red flags.
  • JoebobkillJoebobkill Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228781Members
    Sorry, disagree. Time doesn't stop because you're reading your PDA - thousands of texting-while-driving accidents prove that - and games that halt time simply because you're looking at your inventory just have a built-in cheat. You absolutely should be vulnerable while reading entries or fiddling with your inventory; it teaches you to be careful, to think before acting, and to have situational awareness.

Besides, since the PDA flags unread entries, there's no reason you can't get to safety and then read. It's not like you're going to forget which ones you haven't read; they're the ones with red flags.

If this game was supposed to be a simulator, then yes I would agree with you. Since it is a game, then no, I disagree- it would be helpful.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Joebobkill wrote: »
    If this game was supposed to be a simulator, then yes I would agree with you. Since it is a game, then no, I disagree- it would be helpful.

Helpful, sure. But this is a survival game, don't forget, and survival is about thinking ahead and not making bad decisions. Stopping to read an encyclopedia entry in a place where you can become a boneshark's chew toy is an excellent example of a bad decision. Survival games are designed to punish bad decisions. :)