Why don't people take cured food on expedition

PiteurchePiteurche Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228708Members
I did a quick search on the forum and it was mentioned once in a discussion about a refrigerator but I guess it wasn't noticed since one card in the backlog on Trello asks why people don't take cured food on expeditions. So I thought I'd bring it up here.
I don't take cured fish on expedition because fish stay fresh (even alive, it seems) in a locker for enough days that I can just cook them when I need them, instead of taking the thirst penalty from the cured fish.
So yes, something should be done about that.

Another thing unrelated except on the matter of "realism". Or just common sense actually. I haven't searched on this but I browsed quickly and couldn't see anything. It's probably been brought up so maybe you guys can bring me up to speed on the debate ?
So, we build cool vehicles and equip them with expensive upgrades so they can withstand the pressure 1700 meters deep but you can leave the vehicle with only the most basic wetsuit and you don't get crushed by the pressure? Something should be done about that too.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Also to note: A rotten dead Peeper turns into a perfectly fine cooked Peeper, which shouldn't happen. It seems the 'freshness' condition does not transfer through the fabrication mechanics. So if they make fish die out of water, this issue needs to be addressed, too.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Apparently, humans can't be crushed by pressure because of not being that hallow or something.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited March 2017
    Piteurche wrote: »
    I don't take cured fish on expedition because fish stay fresh (even alive, it seems) in a locker for enough days that I can just cook them when I need them, instead of taking the thirst penalty from the cured fish.
    So yes, something should be done about that.

Well, in real life, eating food (especially dried food like jerky) burns up hydration. It makes perfect sense.

Also, you can't cook fish if you're going on a long dive excursion. After all, you can't take your Cyclops (and by extension, a Fabricator) with you through tight caves only your PRAWN can fit through or exploring the Aurora's interior. You could eat raw fish, but you'd end up wasting water anyway trying to digest it and only get half of its food value. And don't forget, cooked fish goes off; it can only be eaten freshly cooked with no penalties.

Cured food (in spite of its H2O cost), along with bottled water, is a good staple to have when you're on a dive and a fabricator is out of reach.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Apparently, humans can't be crushed by pressure because of not being that hallow or something.

If you want the full answer, here you go:
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2340376#Comment_2340376
  • SatanspawnSatanspawn Join Date: 2017-03-08 Member: 228719Members
    Keep crying kidos lol
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Part of it for me is that I try to stop eating fish asap and there's no way to keep veggies edible for a long period of time (alien ambergris for fruit waxing plz). Other then the non-spoiling spore sacks, but they only give you a little food boost.

With thirst going down as fast as it does, I usually time my outings on how long I can last on two +40/+50 bottles and hunger isn't a threat by then still. The only times I am inclined to take cured fish with me is on larger expeditions where I may be "stuck" for a while, which is when visiting the islands and LR visits before I set up a base down there. The Aurora would count to, but it's so full of loot that it's my inventory that dictates when to head home. I think my parameter priority order is something like thirst > inventory > hunger > fuel > health (health's a bit of a wildcard that with bad luck can rank up but usually is manageable).

I don't have much to give as to how to make cured fish more appealing. Making plant management more difficult by requiring plant food will help make it a less interesting option for Cyclops use, so that might help make cured fish more appealing to have onboard.

• PiteurchePiteurche Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228708Members
    @Phoenix223
    Agreed, but you can do a lot things without leaving the cyclops too far away and fish shouldn't stay fresh in the lockers anyway. (and also the thing Fathom mentionned)

@scifiwriterguy
    Thanks, interesting post. Gotta watch The Abyss again :)
    It still goes to show that, be it through collapsing of lungs, crushing of the ribcage or the HPNS, some kind of penalty (besides a higher oxygen consumption) should be incurred when you're outside a vehicle at greater depths.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Another great post from a real world scub diver and forum user @scubamatt can be found here as to why humans just do not "crush" under pressure: >LINK<

This one pops up time and time again. Considering that we use a multi-purpose-sci-fi-game-survival suit and later on mostly the reinforced diving suit, I see no real problem here as to why we can get out of our subs even at depths beyond 1.000m.

Sure we may not yet have the technology to do this today (maybe we never will) but a human body itself could bare the pressure without getting crushed. Breathing at that depth is another thing though...at least with our current dive gear. :wink:
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    maybe with the disease its will make our max health go down... like 100% and the first infection will make your max health 90% or so... tha will make the disease is now an important thing to watch out
  • PiteurchePiteurche Join Date: 2017-03-07 Member: 228708Members
    Thanks passionnategamer. Interesting post too. So, yeah, the subject had been covered before :)
    So, assuming the use of compressed gas can alleviate all the problems with the lungs and the ribcage, we still have the HPNS to contend with. Oh well, fuck it, I'm sure Alterra found something for that too. Enough said. Thanks for your input, guys.