These freeky things (concept art discussion)

robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
So I was looking at some concept art for the game and I found these things

nefpbwdfhyun.jpg

While I do doubt they are going to be added into the game I still want to discuss what they could do and if they are harmful I figured it'd be an interesting discussion.

When I see them I personally think of them as a blind scavengers crawling around on the floor and when they find something that they think they can eat they bring it up to their mouths near the top they don't know they're grabbing you but it happens if you get too close.

Any other thoughts I've seen some incredible creativity here so I expect great things :wink:

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    they could be added at some point in a future biome maybe, like Twisty Bridges ..... this game seriously lacks in the crustacean department me thinks :smiley:
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    That looks like a very early development stage of the Crabsnake and what became its relationship with the Jellyshrooms.
    B)
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    they could be added at some point in a future biome maybe, like Twisty Bridges ..... this game seriously lacks in the crustacean department me thinks :smiley:

I agree. It is just full of floating creatures, we need things on the sea floor also.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I think that they can see and will grab the player and pull them up into the jellyfish-like area to be eaten. The little tentacles at the top will probably paralyze the player.
  • CrimsonPantsCrimsonPants Wisconsin Join Date: 2015-12-21 Member: 210143Members
    It is... The claaaawwww
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    It is... The claaaawwww

kmkklok3wx0l.gif
    So something like this
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I sort of imagine it's a kind of scavanger that literally "goes with the flow". The sea currents will pull it to different biomes is it scavanger for food, or possibly uses its crab like body as bait for predators.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I imagine when the claw gets hold of some prey it retracts back to the pod, where the feelers detect if the prey is close enough and then it just suddenly inverts from the top flower portion down and wraps the prey up. Then it sinks to the seabed where it spend the next few days slowly digesting the meal. After that, it reverts, builds up gas and starts floating again. The orange clusters are a symbiotic life form growing there, feeding on remnants and generally keeping the outside clean.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    I imagine when the claw gets hold of some prey it retracts back to the pod, where the feelers detect if the prey is close enough and then it just suddenly inverts from the top flower portion down and wraps the prey up. Then it sinks to the seabed where it spend the next few days slowly digesting the meal. After that, it reverts, builds up gas and starts floating again. The orange clusters are a symbiotic life form growing there, feeding on remnants and generally keeping the outside clean.

I saw something like this a while ago, I don't know what it is from though.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    It's easy to create slimy tentacle concept art that looks fantastic, but it's a nightmare to implement tentacle physics in a complete engine, grabbing the player and devouring it into some mouth. I'd even say right now it's mission impossible even for the world's best AAA dev teams on earth to do that other than in prerendered movie scenes (where no real tentacle physics engine is needed).

The best we could get was the Crabsnake and it was hell of a work for the devs to implement.

One observation though. These "Grab-o-Pods" are the only things that are new in the picture and could be an addition to any coral surface biome like the safe shallows. The difference is only the creatures.

It might even be possible to implement this not into a biome, but into a major event. A drifting colony of Grabopods floats over the map and the area gets dangerous until they pass away after some time back into the open seas from where they came.

But only if tentacles just grab the player with not so nifty physics. Still impossible before 1.0 release.
    Not impossible, just would take a lot of time.
  • robotflyrobotfly Virginia Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206185Members
    Yea im not saying thell be in the game i just wanna discuss this and @zetachron tentacle physics are hard but there are shortcuts
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members