Modification Station and Me

NolrovosNolrovos Join Date: 2017-03-04 Member: 228569Members
So I'm new here, new at Subnautica and I have a fear of the deep sea, though I've always been incredibly interested in the sea at the same time. I love learning more about the creatures that live there - to me, it's practically a place of magic and wonder. Spoiling some stuff for myself, I early on discovered online (thanks wiki!) about the modification system. I looovveee the idea of customizing your kit to fit your personal needs. But in truth, while I would be excited to go on, I seem to be having a problem with it, now that I've finally attained it...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=876445893

Is this.. normal? I have only one option, and that's the survival knife. Tried reloading and whatnot, then tried looking online and found nothing that says you need to do something to unlock modifications.. so what's going on? I already upgraded my knife as well now. But nothing else pops up! Even tried destroying it and rebuilding it. I'm not sure if this is a bug, and if it is, what caused it. Thanks in advance to those who wish to explain what's going on!

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    It's a change in the latest update, so you won't readily find info on it yet. Nowadays, you have to unlock mod recipes. I'm still sorting through it myself, but it appears most mod recipes are found in databoxes in and around lifepods (there's one you get from a console in the Aurora, so possibly other consoles hold recipes too). Just follow the signals you get (be careful with #4) and you should get your stuff eventually.
  • NolrovosNolrovos Join Date: 2017-03-04 Member: 228569Members
    edited March 2017
    @DrownedOut Thanks a lot for the information. I looked tirelessly knowing people tend to dislike answering silly questions. Lifepods you say? Dang it, I've already went to a few, guess I'll have to go back there... as for lifepod #4.. well, that was one of the few I already went to, if it's the one with the dang Reaper Leviathan.

There's quite a bit of a story to my progression as I was terrified to even dip into the Safe Shallows from my pod to getting to where I am now. But when I heard that roar, that was an experience I will never forget. Seeing him for my own eyes as well, luckily he didn't chase me. Honestly I've yet to die in my play through, not yet. Have to say this game has helped my fears a great amount!

Again thanks for the information. ^^

Edit: It would appear that Lifepod 6 doesn't exist in my game, I sent a bug report... but this is a huge bummer, what am I going to do?
    Nolrovos wrote: »
    @DrownedOut Thanks a lot for the information. I looked tirelessly knowing people tend to dislike answering silly questions. Lifepods you say? Dang it, I've already went to a few, guess I'll have to go back there... as for lifepod #4.. well, that was one of the few I already went to, if it's the one with the dang Reaper Leviathan.

There's quite a bit of a story to my progression as I was terrified to even dip into the Safe Shallows from my pod to getting to where I am now. But when I heard that roar, that was an experience I will never forget. Seeing him for my own eyes as well, luckily he didn't chase me. Honestly I've yet to die in my play through, not yet. Have to say this game has helped my fears a great amount!

Again thanks for the information. ^^

Edit: It would appear that Lifepod 6 doesn't exist in my game, I sent a bug report... but this is a huge bummer, what am I going to do?

Yep, #4's the one in reaper territory. But I have to say it's odd if you've been there and not seen the databox. It's not exactly small or concealed. Are you playing on a fresh save or did you upgrade it from before the latest update? Did you get any other items (radiation suit, compass, water, medkit, etc. not counting PDAs) from the lifepods?

If need be you can always spawn in items with console commands. It's not as fun as the game acknowledging you've earned it, but you can at least keep going.
    edited March 2017
    @DrownedOut Honestly I did look around number 4 a bit, but I was all too frightened of the Reaper coming around to really focus. Swam around the pod, couldn't find a way in or on top of it, so I left. I didn't think about checking the sea floor under it at that time, only after I was back to safety I realized that's probably where it was. (not sure if it is, but it's a good guess)

I didn't get the compaass, the radiation suit I found just now but I made my own radiation suit really early on, so it's a bit of a waste sadly. I'm playing on a saved game that I've been on since before the update. I can't say I know much about how to use the console commands.
    Nolrovos wrote: »
    @DrownedOut Honestly I did look around number 4 a bit, but I was all too frightened of the Reaper coming around to really focus. Swam around the pod, couldn't find a way in or on top of it, so I left. I didn't think about checking the sea floor under it at that time, only after I was back to safety I realized that's probably where it was. (not sure if it is, but it's a good guess)

I didn't get the compaass, the radiation suit I found just now but I made my own radiation suit really early on, so it's a bit of a waste sadly. I'm playing on a saved game that I've been on since before the update. I can't say I know much about how to use the console commands.

No, the loot of #4 is inside. There is a hole on the side like all other lifepods have that is aimed roughly towards the Aurora.

If you've found the radiation suit, that means your pre-update save file hasn't updated properly. That suit shouldn't be there anymore post-update but instead a databox. So, that leaves you to either start afresh or use console commands. The wiki has a good guide on that.
    @DrownedOut I appreciate the advice, I didn't see a hole but of course I trust you far more then myself, /especially/ since the Reaper Leviathan had me completely freaked out, I was panicking and tried to make it quick, in my haste I undoubtedly either missed a spot, or didn't take the time to fully recognize that I was looking at a hole in the wreckage. I'll be going there shortly, hopefully I don't get noticed by our carnivorous friend!

I think I'll give some feedback in this forum too, and talk about all the things I love about this game, in the mean time.