Progress after the final release?

aiat_gameraiat_gamer Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228099Members
I ma not so far into the game, maybe around 4-5 hours. I do not want to have to replay the game upon updates and the final release. So I don`t know if this has been mentioned anywhere but will I be able to continue my game after updates and final release?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Currently save games are backwards compatible to some extend with the usual bugs. You can clear you cache to reset the spawns and get the new stuff that was added in content patches. So it would be weird if that suddenly would change after v1.0 gold
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited March 2017
    Why wouldn't you want to play the brand-new fresh-version from the start, when v1.0 is released?

I've actually begun a new game with each of the updates since last August.

I personally think that the first few days are the best parts of the game.
    B)
  • aiat_gameraiat_gamer Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228099Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you want to play the brand-new fresh-version from the start, when v1.0 is released?

B)
    I am not too much into replaying games. Usually I like to finish the game and be done with it.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    edited March 2017
    aiat_gamer wrote: »

B)
    I am not too much into replaying games. Usually I like to finish the game and be done with it.

Then, you are doing yourself a disservice by playing ANY preview/early access game. It's not uncommon for people to burn themselves out on months of preview play, and not really get into the finished version. Perhaps wait for finished products.

I sometimes wait around 6 months even for finished games, due to the way the game industry is these days. After 6 months or so, you can usually get games at a third of their price along with all DLC, updates and patches. Then a game can be played and completed in a fairly smooth fashion.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

B)

Wow. I replay games regularly. Some of my favorites, like the Mass Effect series (shaddup), I've played seven or eight times through.

I must've restarted Subnautica...sheesh...six times already? Like @DaveyNY said - the first few days are the best. :)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    @aiat_gamer

You visibly do not understand the concept of Early Access games .... These EA games (those that makes it to finish state that is) changes so much daily/weekly/monthly that expecting to start a game and not have to restart after each decent update is basically unrealistic. Like @Kouji_San stated its possible to ''upgrade'' a save to the new updates to some extent but it is not recommended to do so simply because of the sheer amount of bugs that doing this generates usually.

clearly Early Access games arent for you then. It would be highly recommended for you to wait for the finished product for a stable and ''mostly'' bug-free game. Subnautica right now has alot of bugs, is not doing very well in term of performance and the content changes so much from a month to the other that by the time its done your actual savegame will surely not be playable at all
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    It would be highly recommended for you to wait for the finished product for a stable and ''mostly'' bug-free game.

This is kinda what I'm doing... In terms of waiting for the story to be more complete, although with all the damn spoilers on here and random videos I watch... and with the story getting closer to complete...... ... .... .It's getting harder to not boot up the game and do a playthrough, got a new fancy mic burning a hole in my desk as well for potential Let's Play :D

Hmm, yes getting harder to stop myself 43.gif And I also know too much already me thinks 40.gif

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I've only ever played up to the Lost River.

I haven't even seen the Lava Zones yet.
    B)
  • aiat_gameraiat_gamer Join Date: 2017-02-20 Member: 228099Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    It would be highly recommended for you to wait for the finished product for a stable and ''mostly'' bug-free game.

This is kinda what I'm doing... In terms of waiting for the story to be more complete, although with all the damn spoilers on here and random videos I watch... and with the story getting closer to complete...... ... .... .It's getting harder to not boot up the game and do a playthrough, got a new fancy mic burning a hole in my desk as well for potential Let's Play :D

Hmm, yes getting harder to stop myself 43.gif And I also know too much already me thinks 40.gif

Woah, that was a bit harsh. I do understand, that is why the game was sitting in my wishlist for like 3 years. I got it from the humble bundle so I thought maybe to give it a try. I have however stopped after 6 hours of gameplay and will probably wait for the full release.