March Mod Madness tournament signups!

NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
edited February 2017 in NS2 General Discussion
What is this?
It’s a tournament! No prior experience required. We’re going to play a bunch of crazy NS2 mods that the community have made over the years. Teams of 8 versus 8 people will battle in arenas never seen before! And in ways never done before! And in groups bigger than ever! Grab your skulk and shotgun, and dive in for some shoutcasting, and free game(s). We will try to be playing every weekend.

XOVzdlh.jpg

The nitty gritty and all the details:

When?
The first games will be held on Saturday, March 4th. We will try to end the tournament before the end of March. Signups will be accepted until Feb 28th.

What do I need?
A copy of NS2 and a sense of humour.

What game modes are you playing?
The list hasn't been finalized yet, but will be soon. Here's what we're trying to work with:
  • Defense (_comp edition)
  • Any Team (AvA and MvM, limited map pool)
  • 16 versus 16 “vanilla” rules and maps (two teams versus two teams!)
  • Siege+
  • Skulks with Shotguns (deathmatch and capture the flag maps)
  • TremNS2
  • Factions (standalone, http://download.factions.at/ )
  • NS2:Combat (standalone, key will be provided after first game)
  • Last Stand (rules TBD)
  • Faded (2 Fades and 6 babblers versus 8 marines)
If you know of any other working mods, please let me know.

Wait, what?
Some game modes have their own rules and stuff. For example, defense has a few settings. NS2:Combat has a few different game modes. We’re levelling the playing field by specifying certain rules. We'll be rotating through all the game modes on a semi-random basis - more details coming soon.

Wait, babblers?
Some game modes go really far out their with their rules! We’ll be setting up another document to detail the specifics, and we’ll provide servers you can test and practice on, you try hard ;)

How do you sign up?
Go here https://goo.gl/forms/nTowTdGkyEbFcnOb2 and provide some information about your team and when your team is available! If you don't have a team, that's okay, just put your team name down as "no team" or leave it blank. You can also edit it later.
We’ll need a list of steamIDs and email addresses so we can send you your participation prizes after your first match. The captain should also add Nin on steam, and let him know their team’s name: http://steamcommunity.com/id/_nin

Do I need to have a team?
Nope, just sign up and leave your team name blank.

RULES AND REGULATIONS and all that boring stuff

What is a match?
The first match will be 16 versus 16!
But typically, teams of up to 8 players will show up to compete at a particular time on a particular server. The procedure for what determines “winning” a match is outlined for each individual game mode, but in general will consist of a series of “rounds”.
A typical NS2 match is best of 3 rounds. One team is selected at random to determine starting map, and the other team determines which side of the map they wish to start on for the first round. Teams switch sides after each round.

How do you schedule a match?
The first 16v16 games, semifinals, and finals will have posted times, but other than that it's up to the captains to work something out. In general matches will play when teams agree they are available and usually that’s on weekends. Some suggested times:
  • NA vs AUS: 7-9PM EST, which is 11AM-1PM ACT
  • NA vs EU: 2-4PM EST, which is 7PM-9PM GMT
  • EU vs AUS: (GOOD LUCK LOL) 11AM - 1PM GMT, which is 10PM - 12AM ACT
Be reasonable please. Please have both teams confirm the time.

What if we don’t have enough players?
That’s really too bad! Are you absolutely sure you can’t invite someone to fill in? Get on discord, get on steam, HYPE UP THE MOD. If you really still don’t have enough players, try to play on! Some game modes are okay with less players than you need. Also, what happened? Who didn’t show up? Shame on them! 15+ people were depending on them!

Can we end a round early by calling GG?
No! That’s no fun! Please keep trying to play if there are twitch streamers. Also maybe have fun with it. Build a gorge wall. Maybe a happy face made out of clogs. Or a nice robotics factory slide for your exos. If someone says GG in the chat: PLAY ON! They may just be trying to get under your skin. Or they may be salty. Good job on making them salty 797Fvli.png

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Mod Madness Game Types (will be filled in as more information becomes available)

TremNS2
    Summary:
    A really fast-paced version of NS2 with revamped weapon damage, movement mechanics, and more!
    Needed mods: Maps:
    Ns2_veil, ns2_eclipse_redux, ns2_summit, ns2_epic (LOL)
    Rules:
    • Standard 8v8, best of 5
    • Friendly Fire must be enabled for some aspects of the gameplay to work such as self-burning.
    Extra info:
    Some info: Since research is done quickly, commanders are advised to play with the team as well. Marines are more independant so they do not require a commander for the use of medpacks especially outside of combat. All armuor repairing heals a bit of health, and healing at an armoury heals armour as well.
    Some alien classes are not available without biomass research. The onos requires biomass level 4 and higher, and the fade can be unlocked with the first hive biomass research.
    Skulks do not deal much damage to structures that have armour so the alien commander cysting marine structures can make a big difference, however cysts are very easy to kill.
    Marine weaponary level 2 requires 2 command stations and level 3, 3 ccs.
    Harvesters/Extractors are not required to gain team resources since every pvp kill grants the killer's team team resouces, but do still help especially for a team that is struggling to achive kills.
    Shotguns are noted to be poor in damage dealing especially against fades, which not really intentional but still uses the true Tremulous value of 4 x 14 damage per shot and has been slightly buffed in fire rate.
    Fade model size was planned to be scaled up but I don't have the knowledge to do that yet.
    Also base defence such as multiple turrets for marines and secondary yet potentiallly self-inflicting ARCs can be used.
    Aliens can build 10 hydras per player as a compensation to the somewhat useless whips.

Alien versus Alien
    Summary:
    Aliens battling aliens, with a new alien class and revamped Fade mechanics!
    Needed Mods:
    • Any Team
    • Third Person Aliens
    • Prowler
    • Fade Blink Mod
    • NS2+
    • Gorge Tunnel Control
    Maps:
    Ns2_summit, at_eclipse_redux, ns2_docking
    Rules:
    • Standard 8v8, best of 3
    • Teams must select Aliens before match begins

Marine versus Marine
    Summary:
    Marines fighting marines with almost vanilla mechanics, but exos take 50% less damage from bullets.
    Needed Mods: Creepier Atmosphere
    Maps:
    Ns2_summit, at_eclipse_redux, ns2_docking
    Recommended Rules
    • Standard 8v8, best of 3
    • Teams must select Marines before match begins

Siege+ ModID: 281236AE
    Summary:
    Rules are the same as vanilla NS2, but there is a giant "front door" separating the two teams for the first 5 minutes, allowing each team to tech up and gain resources. Aliens must push in and defeat the marines quickly, because after 20 minutes, a door opens to the siege room which is directly next to the alien hives for ARCing, quickly ending the game.
    Needed mods:
    • None
    Maps:
    sg_trimsiege (only one available, comes with mod)
    Rules:
    • Standard 8v8, best of 3, but game 3's side is chosen by fastest winner in game 1 and 2
    Description:
    The two teams will spawn on their side of the map with a LOCKED door(s) in middle (front door). The ready phase is a time of truce. It allows teams to tech up, build defenses and prepare for fight. Each team will have equal time to build their Resource Towers/defenses and tech upgrades. After a set time (designated by the mapper) the alarm will sound, as the front door(s) open, allowing combat. After a second designated time, a second door will open (siege door). The door allows marines to reach a room giving ARC firing range on the hives.

Winning conditions are same as NS2, kill all Hives or CC's. Also most of the gameplay after first set of door(s) opens.

Basically it's up to the aliens to go offensive and takeover the marine base before siege room opens. It's beautiful because both sides gets res, meaning full upgrades for both sides.

Skulks with Shotguns
    Summary:
    Everyone is a skulk, and they have a shotgun!
    Needed Mods:
    • None
    Maps: ns2_sws_metro, ns2_sws_refinery, ns2_sws_sphere, ns2_sws_2gorge, ns2_sws_ikea
    TBD
    Rules
    • Standard 8v8 best of 5
    • Please have each team "ready-up" before starting the games
    • Crashes happen. Please play on if there is a crash :(

Defense _comp edition
    Summary:
    Not played in first week.
    Needed Mods:
    • None
    Maps:
    TBD
    Rules
    • Standard 8v8

Last stand
    Summary:
    No respawns. A series of short rounds where marines have to survive against aliens for a short amount of time.
    Needed Mods:
    • None
    Maps:
    ns2_ls_hellavator, ns2_ls_pad, ns2_ls_traction, ns2_ls_storm, ns2_ls_hera
    Rules
    • Standard 8v8
    • Best of 9 rounds

NS2:Combat (standalone)
    Summary:
    A standalong game. Not being played this weekend.
    Mods:
    • shine administration: 13f20431
    Maps: co_kestrel, co_pulse, co_core, co_angst, co_sava
    Game Mode: combat
    Rules: Standard 8v8
    Notes: will have to give out keys (confirmed!!)

Faded
    Rounds are quick (around 3-5 min at most) where a nearly invisible pair of mutated Fades hunt the marines and try to eliminate them before time runs out.
    Mods: None
    Maps: almost standard ns2 maps
    Rules: 2 faded + 6 babblers versus 8 marines, best of 7 rounds

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    just a note, combat has multiple game modes too. you can ask @katzenfleisch about faded mod.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Links to workshop or hex IDs would be nice, people including me are lazy.

I don't know about the other game modes, but for classic ns2 a no-gg rule might foster more salt than you want. It's not generally fun to be stuck in your base wanting the game to be over, waiting for the other team to remember how to end games. Depending on how uneven the teams are and how many games you play this might be significant.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Keats wrote: »
    Links to workshop or hex IDs would be nice, people including me are lazy.

Good one! Working on it.
    Keats wrote: »
    I don't know about the other game modes, but for classic ns2 a no-gg rule might foster more salt than you want. It's not generally fun to be stuck in your base wanting the game to be over, waiting for the other team to remember how to end games. Depending on how uneven the teams are and how many games you play this might be significant.

You might be right, but a lot of modes sometimes "feel" over when they totally aren't. Organizing 8 people is hard enough, and preventing GGs might make it a little easier to keep people motivated and enjoying themselves. This is just for fun, after all :)
  • MOMOhandsetMOMOhandset uniteds tates Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213668Members
    hey id liek to register my mod, ccomp mod to be an eligible candididate too be in this mod list for the people to play im sure ethey would really like eit deck is the official guy who balances the emod it's greata please consider this!!!!

https://github.com/Steelcap/NSL-CompMod

ty please download and subscribe ty
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2017
    I will do my best to get a defense ready for next week :), a lots of good stuff with the AI going with it. Any playtest planned during next week for feedbacks ?

Also note that for Faded it will be configured in its "pure" form: like "the Hidden" the only objective would be to kill the faded (or all the marines) only, building removed and no ammo drop. Remember: don't forget to clip corpses to the ceiling.
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    TremNS2 Player vs Player combat stat info are now available: https://sites.google.com/site/zdrytchx/home/ns2-motd

Commander abilities haven't changed much however some things have changed such as the limit of sentries per room has increased from 3 to 10, ARCs attack players (once locked on the ARC will continue tracking if available, and shoot even if the target already died), medpack drops cost more and have a cooldown, bone wall can be used as a semi-permanent structure to block a hallway (its health highly depends on biomass though), rupture costing less etc. - They shouldn't change the commander role too much however marines should be more independant of the commander now at least with their self-medpacking ability
    Just wanted to post an update! There are about 40 sign ups at this time, which is plenty for the tournament to happen, but more is always welcome and encouraged! Sign up form is here if you're reading this for the first time. No team required!
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I was playing skulk with shotguns on a full server a few days ago. I presume the server was located in China as majority of the players were from there (flag badges) and my ping was high. It was working fine, only one complaint was that it was possible to camp spawn points. With 8v8 this shouldn't be a problem
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Russians going to present two complete teams for this event.
    We provided all info on the google form.

If that possible please contact me to solve one question.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ah and yes I made a mistake in word "maiden" in the team name
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    This will be the first such tournament that I've taken part with on NS2, so I ask if two competing teams are from the other side of the world what is the method in place to deal with the ping situation?

A team in Europe playing on a European server will have a lower ping than the other team playing outside of europe.

Will the lag limit mod be used to prevent possible warping?
    We are not doing any special to counteract the ping situation. We have servers in NA and a few in EU, so it's up to the luck of the draw what your ping will be like.
    If you're looking for more info and your team captain hasn't contacted you, join the Mod Madness discord: https://discord.gg/E7Vayva
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    *** I DO NOT CONSENT TO YOU USING SIEGE***

If you can think of the Siege server as a Controlled Experiment in the field of Psychology, what happens if that controlled experiment is taken away by an outside source pretending to know all the information and rather using it for personal gain of status? That's what I see, i don't see a tournament, i see a guy cashing in. However, my reasoning for writing siege is because no one else did. I have enough footage to analye with this camera director, for further music making of what is played inside a controlled environment.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    edited March 2017
    TremNS2 information update:
    Shotguns are noted to be poor in damage dealing especially against fades, which not really intentional but still uses the true Tremulous value of 4 x 14 damage per shot and has been slightly buffed in fire rate.
    Fade model size was planned to be scaled up but I don't have the knowledge to do that yet.
    just a reminder that this info is now outdated.
    The current fade model size should be fine for shotguns (fade model size increased by 30%)

I also found that in the hands of a 3000 hive skill player, shotgun marines are actually pretty tough to deal with.

About cysting to aid skulks killing extractors - honestly I don't think it would be worth it in a game > 6v6.

During a twitch steam someone said that "jumping makes you travel slower" or something like that.

It isn't true.

When jumping while holding W key without bumping into anything, you don't lose nor gain horizontal speed. If you start turning the camera as any class that uses the Quake 3 physics (meaning Onos, Fade, Gorge, Marine without jetpack, Exosuit) will start to accelerate. Skulks holding the W key just activates lossless air control which means provided you don't bump into anything or aim 90 degrees past your movement vector, you will not lose speed.

Sentrybattery cost has been reduced from 25 to 4 (repeater value from Tremulous 1.2 GPP) to encourage constructing early game defence however resource costs have been distributed to the research of shotguns, pulse rifle (HMG) etc. have been increased slightly.

Alien ability research (such as leap, charge, spores etc.) have been somewhat even out about a week ago so you no longer spend just 2 res research most abilities while end-game abilities cost rediculously expensive. The overall cost still sum up to the same value.