Map Scaling Request

ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
edited February 2017 in Mapping
I need a map that has been scaled up (32 inches -> 1 meter) for my TremNS2 mod. Preferable maps are Veil, Tram, Refinery, probably biodome (since it's quite large) or Nexus. I just need one at the moment, I don't need all maps converted. Another alternative is to have some NS1 or other tremulous maps converted over at the scale of 32 units to 1 meter.

Currently NS2_ATCS has been put on hold due to annoying bugs and other miscellaneous issues. While that map is 'the' map for the TremNS2 mod, I still need a map that has been scaled up accordingly until I can find how to fix that map up. I've tried scaling up refinery, tram and veil but it seems my computer doesn't have enough memory to handle the rendering process of scaling it up.

The reason why the TremNS2 mod requires maps to be scaled up is because it's based off an alien vs human FPS/semi-RTS game called Tremulous, and the unit conversion was 32 units = 1 meter, but in the Spark Editor, the default is 32 "inches" as the base unit along with the texture alignment which is why pretty much all maps for ns2 are scaled somewhat smaller, including ns2_veil compared to ns_veil from NS1. Tremulous was also a fast paced game where humans run at 10 m/s equivalent speeds (320 units/second) while NS1 marines run at 5 m/s and NS2 spectator marines run also at 5m/s (though the actual marine run speed is different due to the slowing effect of the "weight" of guns).

Scaling is also important for some maps in Tremulous because humans and some aliens can noticibly jump a gap between to platforms at the same height, of about 8 meters (256 units) or slightly longer if the second platform is lowered or if the alien class can jump further. Example

There isn't really a case where this is exactly needed in any current ns2 maps, but aliens especially the skulk (dretch replacement) needs room to manoeuvre around and marines needs room to dodge effectively, especially against bots. The current NS2 maps don't really allow much for this.

Scaling maps up accurately seems to have the only method so far:
1. Set units to inches
2. Get a calculator, find the converision of 32 inches ("units") to a meter (effectively multiplying the size effectively by [39.37/32] times)
3. Scale the X/Y/Z dimensions individually using the scaling tool, looking at the bottom-right corner of the spark editor

Seems like the spark editor doesn't have any alternative methods of scaling unfortunately. Spark editor source is locked away by UWE apparently so it's not like anyone can push a patch for it.

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I would convert you some maps if i could manage to get the textures to convert with the bloody maps, bloody things just default without the textures, rather annoying me ATM, it's so broken on windows 7 and windows 10 for me... not sure, good luck man.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    Just convert the .level and pass the .level file over to me. If it's an official map like ns2_veil, you can disable texture drawing, CTRL+A to get the dimensions, and click the lock icon on the bottom (you must highlight some stuff to scale for it to appear) and the lock icon just locks the textures, even if the textures aren't loaded. That way they don't look rediculous after scaling