server browser shown as empty on first start-up

Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
When I start the game and go t oserver browser, it shows as no servers are available. The problem is not the filter options - I am certain.

A fix is to press Play on main menu, once it finds servers i can press cancel and the servers will show up on the server browser. Or i can type "reconnect" in console or join via friend list.

For me it's not really a problem but for other people or new people, they won't be able to select a server but are forced to use play. This would also prevent them accessing server on arcade tab

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    What happens if you click at refresh in the server browser instead of using play now?
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    edited February 2017
    What happens if you click at refresh in the server browser instead of using play now?

The refresh icon just rotates. Even before i click refresh, the icons just rotates. I would have posted sooner but the last few days it didn't show. It happened again just now.

I also left it for about a few minute and the only thing that changes is the number after the plus.

I see NS2 (0 + 20) and Arcade (0) . The NS2 remains at 0 but the second number changes between 19 and 22 -I've never really been sure what that second number represented.
    after a few minutes from above, the moment I clicked Play and it finds servers, if I press cancel and return to server browser, this populates the screen
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2017
    Sounds like a bug. I will take a look at it next week. Thanks for the report though.

The number behind the + is the number of ppl currently using the server browser. More interesting in your case would be the numbers at the right top which show how many servers are shown / have been found.

A screenshot of the server browser in given situation would be helpful as well.
    The number on the top right remains at 0/0. Even after 5 minutes while those browsing the server browser constantly changes. This would indicate that there is some sort of connection.
    q1s4v8evwkj9.jpg
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    I wonder if you see the servers with Steam's browser?
    I think it is something like Steam/View/Servers
    @TinCan I have the issue now with the server browser. I checked the steam server browser and it shows servers. I doesn't appear to be an internet connection problem.
    Had the same problem. This time i noticed some errors in the console which I hadn't notice before.

I am not sure if its related by I have attached a copy of the log. hopefully this helps
    log.txt 41.5K
    Had the same problem. This time i noticed some errors in the console which I hadn't notice before.

I am not sure if its related by I have attached a copy of the log. hopefully this helps

Thanks for the log, could you maybe check if the issue consists on the current beta branch (note: You can't play on public servers with it)?
    1. Get the beta branch: https://goo.gl/pXK5I4
    2. Open the console via ~ or whatever key is above tab and next to 1
    3. Enter serverbrowser_filterbuild 313
    4. Open the server browser
    5. Confirm if you still have the same issue
    6. Switch back to the default branch
    @GhoulofGSG9 I done as you said and the browser populated
    @GhoulofGSG9 I done as you said and the browser populated

Thank you very much for confirming the fix i prepared for 314 really works ;)
    @GhoulofGSG9 Sorry to say but I just had the same problem as before. THis time the number in the top right had 0/0
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    Haha i had the problem once or twice but instead if would show something like 0 + ?? / 0. I just had to load up a mod (or unload) and restarted the game, or toggle between arcade/all then refresh again to fix the problem
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Happening to me a few times lately. Today I saw 0/0 and then noticed the number of searching slowly increase. Restart fixes it.