being able to damage the ecosystem?

Doe_Jhon_DoeDoe_Jhon_Doe US Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227619Members
I know somewhere on the forums it says that you can damage the ecosystem, but in code, when you destroy a fish(eat), it respawns the fish. This should not happen so the player can have a devastating affect on the ecosystem, helping them learn, somewhat self control. This will also give a reason for having a large aquarium, to breed fish to eat, without damaging the ecosystem.

Comments

• WarpZone32WarpZone32 Join Date: 2016-12-13 Member: 224911Members
    edited February 2017
    The way it actually works is, your actions as a player don't matter! Oh, the ecosystem will self-destruct, make no mistake about that. But the ecosystem doesn't self-destruct because you, the player, CAUSED it to self-destruct. Rather, the game world self-destructs as kind of a bullshit "story" thing.

So if you leave the radiation leak in the Aurora alone for months and just swim around the safe shallows not teching up, it'll pump rads into the water forever without killing off the local wildlife. On the other hand, if you build a radiation suit and welder first thing and go fix the radiation leak, suddenly all the corral tubes in the safe shallows are disappearing. Don't believe me? Stick ALL your medkits in corral tubes. You'll see them floating in the water on your way back. FIXING THE RADIATION LEAK ACTUALLY KILLS EVERYTHING FASTER!

There is NO cause and effect in this game. The ecological dieoff is inevitable. And it happens on Unknown Worlds's schedule, not yours. And the worst part is, all this story bullshit is so badly-coded, it lags and crashes the game on Windows 7 and other PC systems. Again, don't believe me? Launch the game in Peaceful Mode and marvel at the silky-smooth framerate.

Unknown worlds is so busy trying to cram an aesop about environmentalism down your throat, they had to make it impossible for you to protect the environment in order to do it!

Bad, bad game design! Bad storytelling!
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    that is the biggest hate comment ever (just get off the forms)
  • WarpZone32WarpZone32 Join Date: 2016-12-13 Member: 224911Members
    If you think that's a big hate comment, you should read my Steam review.

And no. I'm the only reason Experimental has bugfixes in it. I'll get off the forums when there's nothing left to bitch about. Fanboyism like yours doesn't solve the problems this game has, it just encourages UW to turn a blind eye to them.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    You immediately assume that they're trying to cram an aesop in to the point where fixing damage damages the environment. That was your FIRST conclusion.

Rather than "Huh, something glitched out in this game that's still in development"?

Your first, immediate, kneejerk reaction is "GAH MOTHERFUCKERS YOU DID THIS ALL WRONG THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUSH AN AESOP"?

Dude I think you might have a slight problem. Like, disappearing coral IS something that should be fixed.

I don't think it's intended, nor do I think the aggression is in any way warranted.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited February 2017
    WarpZone32 has spoken.
    WarpZone32 wrote: »
    I'm the only reason Experimental has bugfixes in it.

That's sheer arrogance, claiming that you're the only one behind all these bug fixes. There are thousands of players out there submitting feedback and bug reports to UW; how are you any different?
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Guys did you miss the warning signs? They said don't feed the trolls. :p
    edited February 2017
    Guys did you miss the warning signs? They said don't feed the trolls. :p

I think the trolls spraypainted over it. That, or I need new glasses.
  • VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    This comment is to the OP; Originally that was how the game worked, with no re-spawns for prey fish, and it was frightfully easy to clear out entire biomes. Compounding this was the actions from predators (stalkers primarily). Some very interesting discussions came of this both here and on the Steam forums, that for better or worse concluded with the Devs allowing eaten fish to re-spawn. Personally I liked the idea of using the alien containment as a means to repopulate species that had inadvertently overfished but oh well.

For WarpZone32, while I agree that problems with the game should and need to be addressed, may I suggest a less bombastic approach?
  • magnussemagnusse denmark Join Date: 2017-02-02 Member: 227524Members
    i think that would kinda ruin the game to be fair, cause it would make the game way more realistic than it needs to be. So if that should be a thing i think it maybe should be in a specific game mode. maybe hard or something else, i don't know? But still a great idea....
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    think about this you are one person on a entire planet do you rely think that your going to have much of an effect on an entire planet
  • Dark_ZeridotDark_Zeridot Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227672Members
    magnusse wrote: »
    i think that would kinda ruin the game to be fair, cause it would make the game way more realistic than it needs to be. So if that should be a thing i think it maybe should be in a specific game mode. maybe hard or something else, i don't know? But still a great idea....

I agree, maybe you have limited fish and need to create an alien containment in hardcore? Hardcore is the more "realistic" game type, as you don't have more than 1 life, so why don't you have a finite number of fish? It certainly adds to the "hardcore" aspect.
    Realism in games is overrated IMO.

But I guess if you wanted to really look at 'realistic', then realistically? A single human eating fish should have pretty much a negligible impact on the fish population.
    edited February 2017
    magnusse wrote: »

I agree, maybe you have limited fish and need to create an alien containment in hardcore? Hardcore is the more "realistic" game type, as you don't have more than 1 life, so why don't you have a finite number of fish? It certainly adds to the "hardcore" aspect.

Now we're talking... Disable fish respawn in Hardcore. It makes a Large Fish Tank _(still hate the name Alien Containment)_ all the more important to build.

Now this would stop spontaneous generation, but if two like fish can breed in a Large Fish Tank, what's stopping them from propagating in the open water the same way (barring predators and overfishing)?
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    Be cool to have the non re spawnable fish in hardcore though
  • Doe_Jhon_DoeDoe_Jhon_Doe US Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227619Members
    Maybe you would have to chase reefbacks for food since they have schools of boomerangs and bladder fish following them?
    edited February 2017
    I would question why there wouldn't be respawnable fish in any mode. I mean, if fish can breed in a captivity tank, why couldn't they do so in the wild? Is the planet's ecosystem that damaged that the fauna can't reproduce outside of a controlled environment?

I mean, if Hardcore Mode didn't have reproducing fish at all, even in the tank, and you had to survive on plants that you grow, that'd at least be consistent, rather than saying "Fish will not respawn in the wild but will spawn in captivity", or if it was mentioned that there's like, a cloning device that can clone a fish that you put inside of it over and over.

(Yes I'm fully aware of the irony in me questioning the realism of a mechanic when I just yesterday posted in this very thread that realism in games is overrated. :p)