Loading Screen beginners tips.

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
edited April 2018 in Modding
Hey guys, I decided I was going to finally get around to making this earlier today. so here it is.

This mod replaces most of the Loading Screens with beginner tips, Ideally it would be used on Rookie servers to give new players some basic tools to try to lessen the learning curve.

I suggested this a long time ago to the PDT as something I think would be very beneficial and it was put on their agenda... so until they get the pretty versions up and running, you'll just have to deal with my Mad Paint.net Skillz! (read: BAD!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=854324518

Previously their were example pictures in this thread, but I deleted them off of imgur, so i've removed them here, but the mod itself still has the images.

Comments

• ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    Maps: "Regularly check your map and surroundings when not in combat. Increasing your own situational awareness and communicating threats and status to your team can increase your team's survivability.

'Decysting': Shooting or using the axe on the surrounding cysts (orange glowing lumps) can force a harvester or other alien support structures to take damage on its own over time, so this can be a more efficient way to clear out sections of the map without needing to waste as much resources on ammunition.

Fade: Swipe does minimal damage against structures that have remaining armour. Having a commander cyst around resource nodes to bleed extractors' armour can enable the Fade's effectiveness to destroying structures.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    Maps: "Regularly check your map and surroundings when not in combat. Increasing your own situational awareness and communicating threats and status to your team can increase your team's survivability.

'Decysting': Shooting or using the axe on the surrounding cysts (orange glowing lumps) can force a harvester or other alien support structures to take damage on its own over time, so this can be a more efficient way to clear out sections of the map without needing to waste as much resources on ammunition.

Fade: Swipe does minimal damage against structures that have remaining armour. Having a commander cyst around resource nodes to bleed extractors' armour can enable the Fade's effectiveness to destroying structures.

Great ideas.

This is a temporary mod that is in my opinion, only intended to "make do" until the PDT do their own (which, i'm to understand is going to happen relatively soon).

That being said, if you, or anyone else has more suggestions like this, I will do my best to get them incorporated as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guidelines for tips (this goes to everyone offering any tips)-

1. Try to make the tips as shortly worded as possible and as "to the point" as they can be, their is a short period of time to read them, so too many words will make them impossible to read.
    2. Try to think what beginner mistakes you see a lot (such as lerks spiking RTs, or fades swiping RTs etc) and how to correct that behaviour as easily as possible. without being condescending or aggressive.
    3. Try to avoid complex, Tactical tips, or tips that include language that may be unfamiliar... things like "While pressure is being applied, zone/laneblock and scout for enemy lifeforms" are great bits of information, but when you're brand new to the game, it just won't make any sense.
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    Marines
    - Always build the power node first: it's free, so your team will not lose resources if you are killed while building.
    - When (re)spawning, make sure you go on the side of the maps where there are fewer players to ensure better map control.

It would be nice to also gather general alien tips and marine/aliens comm tips.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    I don't know if it's been fixed, but when I added loading screens to my mod, due to the way they were loaded prior to mods, my mod loading screens didn't get used by the game.

I know mod entry and so on has changed a lot, so I cannot say for sure if that is still true, although someone could easily verify by trying to use your mod.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited February 2017