Am I the only one this stupid/unlucky?

moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
So, got my Seamoth, rad suit, propulsion cannon, and laser cutter. Time to raid/fix the Aurora and grab the goodies. All goes well, used the suitcases to bring back the loot and drop it off next to the Seamoth at the end of the trip, so I can bring them all back in stages to my main base in Safe Shallows. Decided I would go ahead and insert the upgrade modules. Open up the upgrade window, right click on the pressure compensator, start looking for the storage module. Realized the right half didn't show the compensator. Yawning pit as dark as a Reaper Leviathan's soul starts to open in my heart - Did I do what I think I just did? Just seconds, I thought, it was just a second or two, it should be right there - but no. No compensator.

I searched where I beached the Seamoth near the Prawn lab entrance, the debris underneath it, the sliding ramp down to the depths. Nothing. Finally gave up and started shuttling the gear back to my base. Every time I returned for another batch I would search fruitlessly where I had parked, the area underneath, and the area underneath that. Nothing. This save is supposed to be a "no revert" save - so I am stuck with the outcome.

I am letting the storyline dictate where I go this playthrough, so now I am going to the Precursor island. But I am kinda upset that the mechanics burned me on this - there really needs to be a consistency on "move items from left panel to right panel" on the PDA. I'm not sure what happened to the compensator, if it fell into the debris, got launched, or just disappeared - would be nice if the HUD highlighted dropped items so we can see them in cases like this.

I can probably limp along until I get the moonpool and vehicle upgrade station to craft me a replacement, but I'll be carrying around the Seaglide and building supplies to make temporary bases when exploring deeper than 200m until I can.

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Ouch. You're not stupid, but you are unlucky. I've done that once or twice too, only fortunately near the ground on semi-flat surfaces. Even then, I noticed those things roll! I would be more surprised if you had found it.

Good luck getting the parts to make yourself a compensator.
  • WinterholdKnightWinterholdKnight Join Date: 2017-01-10 Member: 226503Members
    I lost a few items because of the same thing. Like you said, a more consistent mechanic for moving objects would be nice, but there are a lot of other things I want to see before that.
    Anyway, sucks dude, sorry that happened. Wait ... you can find the parts for the seamoth outside of the Aurora? I just swam there once I had the tools.
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    edited January 2017
    Yes, the Seamoth fragments can be found elsewhere besides the Aurora. I've only ever visited the Aurora after getting the Moth. You swam? Wow, that sucks.
    That's not the worst. I didn't know we needed the lazer cutter and the canon. So I got there, almost died fighting the crabs, and then got stuck right at the entrance XD So I swam back T_T
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited January 2017
    That's not the worst. I didn't know we needed the lazer cutter and the canon. So I got there, almost died fighting the crabs, and then got stuck right at the entrance XD So I swam back T_T

What's even worst than that is the second entrance above the one you found doesn't require the cannon.
    pie1055 wrote: »

What's even worst than that is the second entrance above the one you found doesn't require the cannon.

... goddammit XD
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    Just wanted to update...I got the moonpool and vehicle upgrade console! Getting ready to build them at my base and upgrade my seamoth, along with building PRAWN and a cyclops. Woooot! Had to breadcrumb two bases and 25 pieces of pipe to the Deep Grand Reef. Man, about 4 trips to bring the supplies for all that, including forgetting the lubricant for the bioreactors...twice! Luckily I was near enough to the main wreck I could Seaglide over. And people keep saying the Seaglide sucks....Well, it doesn't have a depth limit! :)
    Cool :)
    Your base sounds interesting. If you have screenshots don't hesitate to share :)
    Nothing really all that interesting, they're just a X with a MP room attached with a Bioreactor for power.

Here is the first base I built in the Grand Reef, as deep as I could from the Seamoth without a depth compensator. You can see the MP room at the bottom right, and barely see the pipes trailing off deeper. I went about twice as far as you can see here, to the edge of the plateau below, right where a warper spawns.
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

This was the second one, I built it near the wreck and the hydrothermal vent there. I think there are several large silver nodes nearby (although they could be lead, hard for me to tell them apart), plan to mine them with the PRAWN next. I upgraded it with a thermal generator and got rid of the MP room with the bioreactor, since I didn't need it.
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

This is my main base in this save. It's located near the volcano at 66, -21, 271. Protip: At the base of the cliff is a cave that leads to the volcano. About 3/4 of it is safe to swim without heat damage, and it is covered with sandstone nodes. Brave souls can get extra silver going in deeper and around the volcano.
    The left stack is a bioreactor with breeding aquarium up above it, large predators only. To its left is the scanning room. The center stack is industrial on the bottom, with my bedroom above, and above that breeding aquariums for reginalds. The right stack is the decorative aquarium, 1 of every fish and predator.
    I am planning on mining quartz so I can slowly glass in the MP rooms. Behind the center stack is an observatory above my external decorative planters.
    That's a lot of stacked MP rooms XD
    Looks cool though. Lot of room to work with, and two connected vehicles bays (Why didn't I think of that? I just park the vehicle I'm not using outside XD)
    Must have cost so much titanium and lithium though. Still, worth it
    I made four bases myself (I should take some shots as well). One right below the shuttle we start in, one above water at the gun facility, one in the lost river and one on the island where the Degasi crew stayed.
    Kinda don't want to build the submarine though, last time I did I had the bug where the swimming mechanics stopped working and I had to restart ^^
    Thanks for the kind words WK. Titanium and Lithium are close to limitless, so that really wasn't an issue. The biggest issue was all the quartz for the glass. I wanted to make as much glass as possible so I could see the beautiful exterior biomes, but used up too much building my aquariums. :)

I went with two bays so I can quickly and easily swap out without having to leave one outside and swimming into the bay. It was annoying going out for a PRAWN farming run and having to:
    1. Dock with Cyclops
    2. Realize yet again that I can't pull inventory when docked to Cyclops
    3. Undock
    4. Pull my stuff out (usually after collecting some more)
    5. Look at charge and realize that I didn't want to use up the sub's charge recharging the PRAWN
    6. Jump out of PRAWN to move Seamoth out of moon pool
    7. Dock PRAWN to moon pool and remove stuff
    8. Move PRAWN back to Cyclops
    9. Move Seamoth back to moon pool

Etc.

If I had a do-over I would have attached the moonpool in the middle to the MP room on the end, but it works anyways. Also, moved the pools/base so they don't stick out over the deep quite so much - the left moonpool the PRAWN tends to fall deep into the kelp when it undocks.

Speaking of moonpools, does anyone else think it is a *little* exploit-y how fast they charge Power Cells? If I come back in my Cyclops from a long trip, it's easy to bring the empty cells into the moonpool and swap them out for the ones in the PRAWN and get insta-charging. Charging faster than the wall mounted charger is OK IMO, but insta-charging doesn't seem right.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Speaking of moonpools, does anyone else think it is a *little* exploit-y how fast they charge Power Cells? If I come back in my Cyclops from a long trip, it's easy to bring the empty cells into the moonpool and swap them out for the ones in the PRAWN and get insta-charging. Charging faster than the wall mounted charger is OK IMO, but insta-charging doesn't seem right.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my charging Cyclops power cells in the Cyclops itself. I just keep 2 in the charger and switch it out whenever the first cell reaches 50% or so.

I also have 1 depth upgrade and 3 power efficiency upgrades in the Cyclops.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over my charging Cyclops power cells in the Cyclops itself. I just keep 2 in the charger and switch it out whenever the first cell reaches 50% or so.

I also have 1 depth upgrade and 3 power efficiency upgrades in the Cyclops.

erm I have a sneaking suspicion that you glitched in those extra 2 power efficiency upgrades seeing as that is a unique upgrade and can only get it once.