Frozen screen on startup, but otherwise working

JDMJDM Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165424Members
So I've got an issue very similar to the one described here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/123152/black-screen-on-launch

I haven't played in a long while and thought I might give NS2 another go but...
Essentially my screen freezes on startup, sometimes its all black except for a small blue square in the bottom right corner and sometimes its the general NS2 loading screen but after 1-2 seconds the loading wheel freezes.
However, I still get full sound and if I move my mouse to where the menu options should be I can hear them activating.
I can also access the command console, just cant see it.

Ive tried everything on the "How to post page", complete nuking and reinstalling, everything included in the linked page as well as deleting the /ns2/Lua and /ns2/Shaders folder and verifying. My drivers are fully updated and I'm running everything as administrator.

I had a look at the log and two things stood out to me:
First, the obvious masses of Mainthread errors.
Second, that PhysX is attempting to load ( [ 5.485] Unbound/Unknown : Error: PhysX: Invalid Cuda context! ), despite me having an AMD card.

I really have no idea what to do next. Exactly the same issue is happening in Rocket league (But no other games) at the moment too, if that gives any clues.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hi JDM, sorry you're having trouble.

You mention you have an AMD graphics card, but in the log file, it appears NS2 is trying to use the on board "Intel HD Graphics 4600" chip. Can you double check to ensure your AMD chip is enabled?

Also, I'd be curious to know if Rocket League is also attempting to use the intel chips... though I have absolutely no clue how to do that.
  • JDMJDM Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165424Members
    Hi BeigeAlert, thanks for the response.

Well the card (AMD Radeon HD 8690m) is showing up in the device manager, but in the dxdiag the display device is listed as the intel chip. Although I think this is because my laptop switches between the two depending on demand. My laptop runs shadow of mordor just fine, so Im pretty sure the card is enabled.

I did a little digging into rocket league and found the launch logs and yep, you were right. It seems be using the intel chip instead of the AMD one:

[0005.18] Log: Found D3D11 adapter 0: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

No mention of the AMD chip in the logs.

I cant figure out how to force NS2 or rocket league to use the AMD chip to see if that would work.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I've PM'd you some instructions and a link to a special build that, hopefully, should resolve this issue. I can't say for certain as I don't have access to a machine like yours to test this on.