Vanishing solar panels?

TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members
Just started over as the update erased my other save and I noticed that 2/3 of my solar panels have vanished. I had started a farm of about 12 and now I have 4. Bug perhaps?

Comments

• madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I haven't heard of that before, but I'll see if I can repro. Anything special with the panels that stuck around versus the ones that are gone (e.g. the ones that stuck around were attached to platforms versus on top of buildings/pipes)?

Also worried about the save game being gone, I expected more games to be visible with the new interface (not just the last game of each game mode). Is there a chance your save game was on another Xbox Live profile?
  • bingomanzerobingomanzero Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224676Members
    madsauce wrote: »
    I haven't heard of that before, but I'll see if I can repro. Anything special with the panels that stuck around versus the ones that are gone (e.g. the ones that stuck around were attached to platforms versus on top of buildings/pipes)?

Also worried about the save game being gone, I expected more games to be visible with the new interface (not just the last game of each game mode). Is there a chance your save game was on another Xbox Live profile?

My solar panels disappeared from the top of the pipes. Haven't lost any from my multipurpose room or moonpool.
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members

All of them are on a platforms
  • TitanismTitanism Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225458Members
    edited January 2017
    I had the same issue today. I placed my solar panels on top of pipes and when I started building a new section of my base or when I entered the base they would sometimes disappear. The only ones I noticed that disappeared were ones placed on the pipe edge sections where a joint was. I have since then only placed them on the square section on the middle of the pipe and they haven't disappeared.
  • link23454link23454 Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226135Members
    Hey guys. Used to have the same ue in the past. Let me ask: in the sections that your solar panels are attached to, are you building anything else adjacent to them? For example: I have a platform place and build a solar panel on it. Then I build a corridor and it's too close to the panel.

I've also been able to recreate the issue with bulkheads, building on the inside and they are removed from the outside. Hopefully that the issue, because it's an easy fix. Just don't build your solar panels near anything you are going to expand later. My advice would be to place a platform a ways above your base to avoid being tempted to use it for building anything beside solar panels.

If this isn't the issue, then I don't know what to tell you. Id say don't stray too far from the base, but then what would be the point in playing?
  • TitanismTitanism Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225458Members
    link23454 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Used to have the same ue in the past. Let me ask: in the sections that your solar panels are attached to, are you building anything else adjacent to them? For example: I have a platform place and build a solar panel on it. Then I build a corridor and it's too close to the panel.

That's almost like the bug I'm experiencing but they also disappear when I'm not building anything that gets to close to to them. For example, I could have a solar panel on top of a pipe and if I reinforce one of the side walls the solar panel, which was not in the way of the reinforced wall, will disappear or if I add another pipe piece adjacent to the one it's built on it will also disappear, again it is not in the path of the new item.

I just deconstruct the solar panels if I'm changing a part of the base within a 1 piece radius of the solar panel and then rebuild it afterwards as a workaround.
  • Captn_MikroCaptn_Mikro Michigan Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223287Members
    edited January 2017
    solar panels stored un touch items and the scan room scannable items list and pod 4 and 8 missing new creative game in new update.

Titanism wrote: »
    link23454 wrote: »

That's almost like the bug I'm experiencing but they also disappear when I'm not building anything that gets to close to to them. For example, I could have a solar panel on top of a pipe and if I reinforce one of the side walls the solar panel, which was not in the way of the reinforced wall, will disappear or if I add another pipe piece adjacent to the one it's built on it will also disappear, again it is not in the path of the new item.

I just deconstruct the solar panels if I'm changing a part of the base within a 1 piece radius of the solar panel and then rebuild it afterwards as a workaround.

That is exactly what I've experienced. I had to do a little experimenting to figure it out, but you are suffering what I pointed out. The way it works from what I can tell is that when you build the re-enforcement on the side, it's updating the pipe, forcing it to reload as only the pipe with nothing else attached to it. Dumb as that sounds, it's the only way it makes sense. When you build on the pipe, it's fine as the pipe isn't updating. However if you build into the pipe (say re-enforcement or even a hatch), it's best to make sure that the pipe is clear of everything, inside and out. In my experimenting, I've even gotten the comms relay, the storage containers, the fabricator, and many other things to disappear while building on the outside of the habitat.

Like I hinted in my previous post, the way things are now, it's best to build a separate platform for all of the solar panels. That way you can absolutely guarantee that nothing will effect them besides you dismantling them.
    Just to clarify, it's not necessarily the item being in the way, but how the game sees its current placement. It's dumb, but that's about it.
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members

Hey so I was wondering if it's possible to put out a "minor" update to improve performance slightly to kind of tie us over and make the game more playable. A couple ideas that'll help the frame rate:

1) limit the amount of fish that can spawn. Currently there are 70+ fish swimming around in schools that can't even be caught, limiting this to about 25-30 within 30 meters of the player should free up valuable resources

2) limit the volumetric lighting to about the same radius as the fish (30 meters)

3) limit the amount that can be put in alien containment. For example: I put 1 jelly ray egg in a 2 tier alien containment, and within 35-45 minutes I had 7 in there

These shouldn't be too difficult to fix and should raise fps by about 5-10. Doesn't seem like but attack it with the current average FPS (at least for me) and suddenly it's running at 15-25 which is comfortable(ish)
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I was able to reproduce the issue. I've got the same behavior where, in my case, adding windows or entrance port to the pipe/connector with a solar panel on it are causing the panels to disappear. This is not a bug on the PC side. In the past there was a bug with bulkheads removing solar panels but that is fixed on the PC.

@link23454
    Just to clarify, it's not necessarily the item being in the way, but how the game sees its current placement. It's dumb, but that's about it.
    Noted, I verified this in my testing as well.

Thanks again everyone, bug is now tracked!