Cyclops stuck on invisible object - help please?

NinetailedNinetailed Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221955Members
I've taken my Cyclops down to the koosh zone to start building a base there. Now when I try to leave it seems to be getting stuck on something. No matter which way I turn or move it, it makes the metallic banging noise that signifies a collision, and stops. Looking at the point at which it starts listing when trying to ascend or descend, it seems like whatever it's getting stuck on is inside the cyclops, somewhere in or near the seamoth bay. I've gone around the cyclops inside and out, but I just can't see what it could be getting stuck on. I've tried saving and reloading. I've even used the freecam command to check inside the cyclops model, in case there was something stuck inside a wall, but couldn't see anything.

I'm at the limits of what I know to try. Can anyone offer any advice? Save is here on Dropbox, if it'll help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwp5v8vj056124i/stuck.zip?dl=0

Comments

• NinetailedNinetailed Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221955Members
    I found the problem. It turned out that when I'd tried to collect a medkit from the fabricator, I'd had a full inventory, and the medkit was just left floating there. It ended up embedding itself in the wall. I found it, dug it out, and now my Cyclops moves again.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Ninetailed wrote: »
    I found the problem. It turned out that when I'd tried to collect a medkit from the fabricator, I'd had a full inventory, and the medkit was just left floating there. It ended up embedding itself in the wall. I found it, dug it out, and now my Cyclops moves again.

lol what a weird situation there. I never would have thought it could be that! Thanks for sharing that with us, if i ever get the same problem like you i'll know to try this solution :smiley:
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    Thought I was going mad... I remembered my medkit not being picked up cuz my inventory is full... still trying to find this damn thing but not having any luck with the freecam.
  • Maelstrom_Maelstrom_ Join Date: 2016-10-03 Member: 222828Members
    I have the same issue, but using the freecam command i cant find the medkit. i desperately need help! is there a console command, or something else? :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    What happens when an invisible object meets an unseeable force?
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    What happens when an invisible object meets an unseeable force?

They surrender!
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    @Ninetailed I hope you bug reported that one - if the devs don't know that can happen they really should.
    @Sidchicken That's a good point. I haven't, but I should.
    @CaptainRon @Maelstrom_ No console command that I know of, and freecam didn't help me either. What I eventually ended up doing was finding the points of rotation where the Cyclops got stuck, and tried to position it right in the middle of them. That left the stray medkit floating in mid-air in the middle of a compartment.
  • joekitchjoekitch Join Date: 2016-11-21 Member: 224110Members
    made an account here just to post about this.
    i feel into this same trap just now, i figured the medkit i didn't pick up would vanish

keep in mind, when you're searching for the midkit it WILL be invisible. the only reason i found it is because i was walking around the ship and got stuck on thin air, so i scanned around with my cursor to pick up the medkit
    joekitch wrote: »
    keep in mind, when you're searching for the midkit it WILL be invisible. the only reason i found it is because i was walking around the ship and got stuck on thin air, so i scanned around with my cursor to pick up the medkit

That's good to know. When this happened to me, the medkit was visible, just hidden against the wall. I guess it's something to watch out for.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited November 2016
    Building something really close to Cyclops can toss it away really hard... not sure if its hard enough to clip those two though each other but it's an option.

Using freecam to find such things can be a waste of time... Cyclops has some "annoying" quirk where certain things that overlap with it's own texture are dropped and not rendered, like you don't see walls in your own base and such. So using freecam from Cyclops means you need to find a specific angle and position where the stuff you are looking for is actually getting rendered. Here is a screenshot there are 2 pieces of titanium and a medkit right next to top piece of titanium, they are actually all before the helm even tho they are getting rendered as behind it or not at all

Well I tried to find a way to cut it out of the save file... so far I'm failing. Objects placed in such manner are saved as part of a cell, unlike bases, vehicles etc that are saved in global-objects.bin and blueprints, data base, scans, objectives, ect that seem to be in scene-objects.bin. So if all else fails remove the cell save file where offender is located. For instance while testing I opened medkit fabricator with full inventory and tried to take it and later spawned 2 pieces of titanium for save file editing purposes but that is not important they are part of "C:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000\CellsCache\baked-batch-cells-8-16-5.bin" that is just an example yours will be where ever the hell your saves are and to get cell id just use F1 it's called "Camera Batch : ###".

Some extra observations from save file poking. global-objects.bin edits that "fail" will have a legitimate error displayed during loading, screw ups editing scene-objects.bin tend to result in your "character" being reset as in you loose inventory, unlocked blueprints, logs, data base, etc... not screenshots tho but it loads and your bases and vehicles will be fine even fragments that you scanned and didn't see anymore will show up again. Cell edits that fail just result in infinite cell loading... so if you fancy to try and dip your toes into save editing global-objects.bin is the "safest" one. Managed to cut out portions out of that one and load the save without any immediate or readily apparent side effects, possibly because containers with items that were cut were in cells that were not loaded... I played with medkit and assume that the only entry that I couldn't chop out was the one from my inventory because the format was different and it failed hard every time could be wrong... this is all guessing.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited November 2016
    Nice write up!

Btw. My experiences with the Cyclops getting stuck were either because there was a stray health pack floating in it or because there was a floater attached to it. So always check for those first.
  • CrilatosCrilatos Join Date: 2017-01-03 Member: 225984Members
    Ninetailed wrote: »

THANK YOU!!
    I thought my save was screwed. I was about to delete it when I decided to see if anyone had has the same problem. This was exactly why my cyclops was stuck.