UI (and other misc.) Suggestions for VR

AwesomatorAwesomator USA Join Date: 2016-12-24 Member: 225427Members
I am quite new to Subnautica, but almost immediately after getting in the game there were some points of feedback that came to mind. If there is currently a way to update any of these things for a better experience, please let me know - maybe i just haven't found the right options yet.

The forums are a bit dry on VR content. If this should be posted elsewhere or if these issues have already been covered, please link them in a reply before closing the thread so i can head to the right place.
  • The HUD is not properly scaled to the HMD.
    • Names of received materials cannot be seen after pickup; depth is very difficult to see, etc..
  • Static status bars (lower left) take away from the action because you must take your eyes off of the beautiful world around you.
  • Inventory tablet is a little small, and stays a fixed distance away from you; you cannot lean in closer to see it a bit bigger.
  • Vive controllers not being supported makes a huge tripping hazard with wired controllers and takes away from the immersion.
  • The escape pod starting area is extremely small for VR, making it difficult to do simple things (like looking straight down to leave).
  • After the creation of an item, the menu for the fabricator (i think its called this? i mean the creation box you start with in your escape pod) is stickied to your reticle wherever it happens to be when item creation completes. Having this as an anchored menu would really help.
  • This is pretty much impossible to play seated due to head-turning being used to turn your character there might be some Steam complaints from some players that are restricted to this mode.
    • Head turning to turn your character is a bit strange in VR when using a controller, but it works for now :)
  • Player hands seem very high and held in front of the face, blocking your beautiful game world - this detracts from the realism (Vive controllers already mentioned in a previous bullet... but it would be pretty sweet to have for this section, too)

I know you guys are working hard to ship, but some QoL improvements would be a really nice touch for the VR community in these areas. Thank you for reading, and I love the game so far!

Comments

• coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    Not that many VR users here I'm afraid. AFAIK the devs are aware of the current issues with VR and plans to return to it when they can, which is probably why you aren't seeing much activity on the forum. We're all holding our collective breaths waiting for an update. ;)