Can we talk about predators for a second?

Krow1913Krow1913 Join Date: 2016-10-22 Member: 223299Members
As much as I've been enjoying Subnautica, I'm starting to get frustrated with this game. The predator count in this game is way too high. This doesn't make it a challenge, it just makes things annoying. Searching for resources or building a base remotely close to them is more frustrating than fun. The predators as they are right now aren't even very dangerous. Aside from the Leviathans, the predators that inhabit the oceans are barely even a threat unless you literally float in one spot without moving.

What if we dropped the predator count 50-75%, but increased the threat the sandsharks, bonesharks, etc. pose to the point where they can kill you in two-three bites at the most? I've looked around but haven't seen anything mentioned about rebalancing predators so sorry if it's already in the works.

That, and there's no way a normal ecosystem could sustain the sheer number of carnivores found here.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I have said before that Predators need to be much more rare, but also much more dangerous.

Right now if you swim in a circle and dodge a Stalker, it gets bored after a few seconds, and then screws off to go bother someone else.

Make that Stalker relentless. Make it hound me all the way back to the Lifepod, and have it lurk around the bottom hatch waiting for me.

Make Sandsharks actually wait in the sand instead of constantly moving.

Make encountering any hostile creature an actual event on par with battling a Reaper Leviathan.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Hmm, keep in mind the dangerous critters aren't just around as a hindrance; they're also fauna essential to make the world more lively. Dropping the predator count by 50-75% would make the oceans a lot more boring, imho. And it would also severely limit the possibility to make pretty pictures. The only countermeasure would be to have a larger variety of nondangerous creatures, which would be a lot of work UWE can't commit to (at least, right now).

I do recall cards about reducing NPC aggression, so there's that, at least. I'm hoping for the next update to have some of that.
  • TigerTankSniperTigerTankSniper Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211735Members
    sand sharks need to be hiding inside the sand because that is how they hunt and it would be awesome!
  • HectorroseHectorrose Join Date: 2016-10-16 Member: 223161Members
    I agree but about that predators should be a lot more deadly, but I think a 30% drop in the spawns of sandsharks and stalkers and maybe bonesharks is necessary but not for reapers, crabsquids, and other not so common stuff
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Dropping the predator count by 50-75% would make the oceans a lot more boring, imho.

The goal is to reduce predator spawns, but increase non-hostile creature spawns, and add more non hostile creatures to fill in the blanks.