Rookie status & servers

SynysterSynyster Earth Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214672Members
edited December 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Is there a way I can actually get my rookie status back?

I love the game, but quite frankly I feel pretty disheartened whenever I play on a regular server and just get demolished by someone (or a group of people) who are pretty much professional NS2 players. I can't bash them; because they're good players, but I can bash the system for deeming me too 'experienced' to not be able to play on rookie servers.

Even though I have a grasp of NS2 mechanics, I would still consider myself a rookie simply for the fact that the gameplay involved in NS2 games is just so radically different from anything I've played. These people going through games with insane KDr's have been playing NS2 since its inception and I don't really see how I can learn and improve my gameplay let alone compete when they just rinse you down before you even have time to realise what it is you've done wrong.

I don't really feel like I'm learning anything (least of all enjoying anything) when I get gunned/bitten down in half a second, furthermore it's also frustrating considering the fact you often have to wait on the server browser for up to 15 minutes just to find a populated server.

On rookie servers, I felt more evenly matched, and I felt that I was actually learning useful engagement techniques because I stood at least half a chance against the players I was fighting against, but on regular servers the game can be decided very frequently by whatever team a specific player (or players) decide to join. This doesn't give any incentive to new and inexperienced players to actually engage with the community and gameplay.

Comments

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2016
    there just isn't enough players to split servers into too many different skill groups. It is understandable that you dont feel ready for regulär servers but you cant really stay on rookie servers when you are becoming better and more experienced at the game.

However this has been brought up a lot in the past, probably you could increase the time new players are allowed to play on rookie servers.y
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    yeah this seems to be coming up a lot. i wonder if anything can be done... perhaps hrs played/score is not an effective means of determining what is and isnt rookie status (go figure).

but what else would be an alternative, but reasonable way to scale or measure a player's skill or comprehension of the game?
  • SynysterSynyster Earth Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214672Members
    My suggestions would be

a) Have a server with blacklisted players that are deemed "too good", i.e professional players, high ranking clans etc.

Yeah it sucks, yeah it seems a bit excluding, but new players simply don't have any incentive to come back and play when they don't feel like they're improving at the game at all. This comes back to Welsh Wizards point about not having the playerbase to support something like this, but with the current dwindling playercount it seems that the worst thing we can do is to do nothing.

b) Make the rookie tag dependant on hive skill rather than hive level.

This to me seems like the better idea, perhaps anyone under x hive skill is considered rookie or is at least allowed to join rookie servers. It could be exploited, but I don't think the professional players would purposefully lower their hive score just to play on rookie servers, since they dominate on regular servers already making the issue a moot point. Obviously this method would require some discussion as to how low a player's hive skill needs to be to be considered 'rookie'. Personally I would say under 2000, but I'm not 100% sure as to how the hive skill works so someone with a better understanding could provide a better suggestion.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2016
    Greater than 50% of the playerbase are rookies who play in rookie only servers.
    Very few players are professional in NS2. Competitive NS2 has always been a very small part of the population. A lot of the so called pro players as you called them are pretty far from it.
    2cough wrote: »
    yeah this seems to be coming up a lot. i wonder if anything can be done... perhaps hrs played/score is not an effective means of determining what is and isnt rookie status (go figure).
    but what else would be an alternative, but reasonable way to scale or measure a player's skill or comprehension of the game?
    Rookies are players below level 5. Players used to increase as their total score earned in game increased. Now you increase in level based on XP which you earn by simplying playing the game, with a 750xp bonus if you win, or 250xp bonus if you lose.
    Synyster wrote: »
    b) Make the rookie tag dependant on hive skill rather than hive level.
    Just curious what X skill value you might find acceptable. Any player below the 25th percentile, so the bottom 25% of skill could stay on rookie only servers. Maybe the 33rd percentile and below?

As of November 8th, this is what distribution of skill looked like in NS2.
    5% = 18 hive skill
    10% = 36 hive skill
    15% = 56 hive skill
    20% = 82 hive skill
    25% = 120 hive skill
    30% = 206 hive skill
    35% = 449 hive skill
    40% = 739 hive skill
    45% = 831 hive skill
    50% = 883 hive skill
    55% = 916 hive skill
    60% = 943 hive skill
    65% = 964 hive skill
    70% = 982 hive skill
    75% = 999 hive skill
    80% = 1023 hive skill
    85% = 1068 hive skill
    90% = 1190 hive skill
    95% = 1555 hive skill

Even if the devs decided to make rookie servers for player, it is not easy to know where to draw the line. If you do it even as low as 35%, many rookies would be forced out early. If you do it too high, maybe even as high as 50%, you could cut the playerbase in half. There is no sweetspot.

To be fair, those numbers I have in that spoiler are wildly outdated at this point. On November 8th, hive 2 was released. How hive skill updates was changed for the better. I don't know what the actually distribution looks today.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You are screwed, my friend
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2016
    Rookie Only / Boot camp servers are intended to serve as "sand box" environment for new players to learn/get used to the core game mechanics of Natural Selection 2.

Hence rookie only server have nothing directly to do with the personal skill. I have seen rookies that can easily compete against the average ns2 player after playing 10 hours. On the other hand there are players with over 1k hours who are still defeated by players with only 100 hours.

In that matter personal skill isn't correlating that much with personal skill.

The issue that high skilled players get mixed up with low skilled players makes the game indeed frustrating for everybody involved. The only solution at this point might be too directly match players with each other.

As that is not part of the game at the moment I would recommend everybody to use the play now function as much as possible. Play Now takes your skill into account when picking a server for you. That might end with you being put on a empty server but as long as enough players start using play now those empty servers should fill up very quickly.

In theory as soon as more than 50% of the current player base start using mainly play now to join servers the quality of games should improve drastically.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I think you meant "hours played doesn't correlate to skill"
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2016

I think you meant "hours played doesn't correlate to skill"

Hive skill and hours played a correlation coefficient of 0.56. The closer the correlation coefficient is to 1 or -1 shows the strength of the relationship. 0.56 shows there is a relationship, but it is not all that strong.
    edited December 2016
    I'm having flashbacks to my advanced statistics education... and I don't like what I'm seeing
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is (was?) a server (help me out for its name guys) that autokicks everyone over 1300 skillpoints.
    Maybe it can be your next NS2 home.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    We have skill restricted servers since ages. But for whatever reason good luck seeding them.
    It looks like people these days cant invest the needed time to seed a server (cause important option trading for sure).
    Seeding is great for training and to discuss parts of the game btw (aka learning).

I cant remember any successfull low skill restricted server. They where up for a while, empty most of the time and disables restriction, change name or go offline after that.
    If people want these servers so much, then tell me why above happened to all these servers.
    CCTEE wrote: »
    There is (was?) a server (help me out for its name guys) that autokicks everyone over 1300 skillpoints.
    Maybe it can be your next NS2 home.

It was russian
  • SynysterSynyster Earth Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214672Members
    Personally I feel some kind of online training mode would help, perhaps just a pure combat mode with no commanders or actual 'strategic' gameplay, just something to brawl out on that is easily accessible and (dare i say it) casual.

It seems a lot of people view the term 'casual' as a satanic sin that should never be uttered least of all implemented. But in actuality, the most successful games will have some casual aspect implemented in one way or another because whether you want to accept it or not the 'elitist' community are the minority.

Something separate from the main game, a training ground of sorts, and players will still have the option to join the regular servers whenever they please. The singleplayer training is a poor representation of online gameplay simply for the fact that it is played with AI opponents, which can only teach you so much.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2016
    Synyster wrote: »
    But in actuality, the most successful games will have some casual aspect implemented in one way or another because whether you want to accept it or not the 'elitist' community are the minority

Wrong, in the most succesful shooter aka CS:Go the best and the worst playing in the same environment.
    The only difference is the skill segregation based on the ammount of players but both playing the exact same game.
    Sure, you can play other gamemodes or with more people, but you have to search these "hidden" servers via the steam serverbrowser and all these servers are unranked. (oh my god, other games doing this also? *shocking*)

And most of the last changes where made to please the casuals (healthbars, larger hitbox on aliens, Boneshield changes, rookie only servers, more tutorials, ...)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Combat should have been the free to play demo version of NS2 ive been sayin this for ages but Faultine got greedy they thought their 4 tiny maps with a half assed xp system was worth as much $ as NS2 hahahaha karma.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @RevanCorana, grossly misinformed about faultline. That statement isnt true at all.
    Go ahead enlighten us
    Do you know if UWE invested money or not?
    I just find it hilarious that Combat as a standalone was such a failure whilst having the potential to make NS2 huge would it have been free. With player skins shared over both games.
    But as a paid game? Naah we already had the Combat mod for free, the standalone idea was going to split the small community and it was way too expensive for a rehash. It was doomed to fail maybe FLG didnt chose the pricetag tho.

By the way you dont need to quote me when Im literally the comment before
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Do you know if UWE invested money or not?
    I just find it hilarious that Combat as a standalone was such a failure whilst having the potential to make NS2 huge would it have been free. With player skins shared over both games.
    But as a paid game? Naah we already had the Combat mod for free, the standalone idea was going to split the small community and it was way too expensive for a rehash. It was doomed to fail maybe FLG didnt chose the pricetag tho.

By the way you dont need to quote me when Im literally the comment before

As far as I know, literally everything you are complaining about is mainly due to UWE's fault, not FLG's.
    And yes, UWE invested money. Apparently, sketchy stuff happened. I won't say more because I haven't heard both side's versions. (In fact I have only heard half a version.)
    "really ugly stuff hidden there that you dont really know about" "sketchy stuff" "some video from Hugh" and stuff along those lines isnt a good basis for solid argument.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Free to play isn't some miracle solution to player population, be it NS2 or combat. Look at Evolve. Plummeting every month. Remains to be seen if their bottom will be higher than before it went free to play.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    "really ugly stuff hidden there that you dont really know about" "sketchy stuff" "some video from Hugh" and stuff along those lines isnt a good basis for solid argument.

I don't want to disclose any information that I was trusted with in private. I suggest you go ahead and ask them themselves.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members

It's more then you've shown. If you've got some big issue with combat then why don't you get on flg's discord and ask the devs themselves instead of making false claims here.
    But as a paid game? Naah we already had the Combat mod for free

Entitled much? God forbid somebody gets paid for the work that they do. Oh and the mod was gonig to die regardless. The mod copyright was owned by flg and they weren't going to update it anyway since they had moved on from ns2 as a whole. For their sake they should have kept working on their other project, but I am glad they made combat SA since that's the game that brought me to ns2.

As @F0rdPrefect mentioned, some of the devs are still working on combat despite all the shit thats been thrown at them so I highly respect their dedication, misplaced or not. Maybe you should show a bit yourself before making baseless claims.

edited December 2016
    TBH I've made lots of posts in the past about the whole FLG/Combat debacle as I had been friends w/ some playtesters of combat for the duration of its short run. I dont feel the need to continue to expel and drag this out again, but suffice it to say you're not the only one who is extremely disappointed with how Combat came and went. I can guarantee you, the pricepoint, among many other things, was something that was not entirely under FLG's control.

And yes, touching on what @F0rdPrefect said, there's a Combat discord channel thru which combat games are organized periodically. Sad to have to be organized this way, but it's fun when they happen. https://discord.gg/cARC87G
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2016
    On topic:

@Synyster

I've seen you on pubs and, imo, you weren't actually doing that bad.

If you want to improve yourself and not get demolished, then do the following:

1) read through this:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RIVwXTN9G9NEfTkcou-x_cqL6sxThqlHJA7ptX_ccwU/edit
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PqnAuicnfMN9hU-253q32IYWWE2qIWVimuLqK9ONYEY/edit

2) practise your mechanical skills with someone who is better than you.
    Join a private server and practise 1vs1s.
    As an alien you want to practise to not lose speed / never remain stationary while doing damage.
    As marine you want to practise your dodge movement and aim.

Both is about proper timing. Start slow, but try to do it right.

3) watch streams of clan wars and/or gathers, eg here:

4) if you really want to get better fast, then signup at ensl.org and play gathers.

There are things that you will not learn on your own in pubs. Mainly knowledge about where and when to fight.

You will learn bad habits in pubs. Especially as alien, you will often take fights that you shouldn't.

For example, when you're a fade, you may try to engage a lone shotgun in an open room and that shotguns knows you're coming. 9 out of 10 times, you may kill that shotgun, because that shotgun may not be very good, but that 10th guy will tear you apart and you will lose your lifeform.

The problem then was not that that he was a professional shotgunner, but that you engaged a shotgunner all by yourself. Even though you may win this kind of engagement 9 out of 10 times, you should not take it and always play like your opponent will hit every shot. This means you need to utilize corners and other life forms to make it impossible for the marine to apply enough damage to kill you.
    Don't commit to engagements too much. If you miss your swipes, leave and don't try too hard to kill a marine. Not winning an enagement is not as bad as losing your lifeform.