Unplayable

2»

Comments

• NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    edited December 2016
    The problem explained by the OP is exactly what triggers me on this game. Being an over committing reaction lerk aggravates/highlights the issue.

And I add that two opponents which have same ping/performance will not react equally regarding "how many bites I can land" vs "how many bullets I can land". And this all changes when the same players are in a different server.

You have to actually memorize the players at the server that supposedly have "fast reaction" and "insta-kills", and adjust playstyle accordingly. This frustrates me because it´s not about a player´s excellency but actually a lag/netcode advantage. The gameplay does not feel natural.

BTW, 110 ping is the gold number.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Why do people quit playing?

Try this:
    Join marine and have a skulk stand still at any distance. Get a timer. Time how long it takes to shoot and kill the skulk. About 1 second.

Do you think it's fun for the alien player to die so quick? If you were forced to join aliens because of balance or less players you would probably quit too.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    alster wrote: »

Try this:
    Join marine and have a skulk stand still at any distance. Get a timer. Time how long it takes to shoot and kill the skulk. About 1 second.

Do you think it's fun for the alien player to die so quick? If you were forced to join aliens because of balance or less players you would probably quit too.

You could try a very brave trick: Do not stand still in front of a marine.

*gasps* x)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    alster wrote: »

Try this:

You could try a very brave trick: Do not stand still in front of a marine.
    A sufficiently good enough marine, hardly cares how your skulk moves though.

However, if you, as an alien, are upset about the TTK - learn to play lerk, fade or onos. Even gorges can be quite beefy if played correctly.

Btw, 100% accuracy and the TTK is closer to .5 seconds, depending on carapace and biomass.

Source: Super outdated TTK spreadsheet.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2016
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    However, if you, as an alien, are upset about the TTK - learn to play lerk, fade or onos. Even gorges can be quite beefy if played correctly.
    When faced with a player who is equal or more skilled than I am, I have learned to never approach that marine if they are looking at me. If marine is looking at me, go somewhere else and wait for an opportunity. The opportunity is almost always the player being distracted by another alien. Well, I still do it. I just know better.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited December 2016
    The only time I've felt like this is on large servers when I late join. I am "told" that there is some sort of first join preference "stack" for server reg. Also if your standing/waiting/camping the person running at you gets a peeking head start that can mean the difference...

Realistically if it is "broken" to be a skulk and a marine... then the problem is on your side. Whether it's your skill OR your computer OR your network, unless your argument is that NS2 is targeting you then it must be on your side.

The skill gap is huge on this game. Everyone knows "how" to be a marine, but if I join a rookie server as a skulk, I can run into a room with 8 rines kill them all and walk out. Everyone of those rines knows he should shoot me, everyone of those rines has played a FPS before... knowing what to do and how to do it does not make you able to do it. Go back and play NS1 some Friday night, it's a totally different game then NS2 the skill doesn't transfer especially after years of not playing.

After 3,000 hours of NS2 and as many in NS1... it becomes habit. I find myself killing a marine and hesitating on the 3rd/4th bite because I'm also using him as a meat shield for his 2 buddies and they haven't emptied their clip yet.

When your camping a door (or box or whatever)you never wait for them to walk through it, you listen and attack before they go through. This allows you to capitalize on the minimal distance, surprise, and gives you a peeking net code advantage. In addition don't wait in the "best/sneakyest" position hoping they will walk past oblivious... that's where they expect you to be and where they have there aim trained as they approach. Instead find "good enough" spot that will hide you until their right on top of you, knowing that you will strike first. Basically if your reacting to what you see your already lost (damn you silence!!!).
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    So its baasically the same in ns1 with the difference bunnyhop in the engine gave you much more options..
  • DilligafDilligaf Join Date: 2014-05-25 Member: 196238Members
    edited January 2017
    You dont have to go for the kill, if you can you should but most of the time as skulk it is best to be the distraction, your teammates can bite while the marine looks at you.