Such a stupid community, gonna quit playing

13»

Comments

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Is a bit crazy to eject a com for not going arms lab first. Although I still support eject of shade first com unless he can give us a good explanation as to why lol.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    maD maX wrote: »
    If you get ejected, DO NOT get in the chair the next round. People have short memory but not that short, the last thing you should do is reinforce it by reminding them.

Give it a round or 2 and try again, in the mean time get some kills and show your not a total scrub... then after the server is bitching about whoever f*%*^d and lost the last game, feel free to jump in.

I wouldn't have worded it like that, but basically, yeah.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Is a bit crazy to eject a com for not going arms lab first. Although I still support eject of shade first com unless he can give us a good explanation as to why lol.

You mean unless they can micro drifters..
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members

I wouldn't have worded it like that, but basically, yeah.

Maybe a bit harsh, but with such a small community if 1 player commands multiple games in a row people notice... if they do "good" but still lose people will blame them. If you get ejected people will remember doing it for at least 5 minutes and there reason for ejecting won't be gone.

This "stupid community" behavior is basic human behavior. Example: Your on cruise control and a car passes you, and slows down in front of you. You get annoyed move over and resume speeding. 2 minutes later the same car is passing you again... what are you thinking?

Is the other car a Crap driver? I don't know there are multiple metrics of good driving, what I do know is that he's not using cruise control, and he doesn't want to drive consistently faster then me. So as far as I'm concerned he's an ass and the worst driver on the road.

Wow I managed to turn this into a vent about my commute!! Win

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Wow I managed to turn this into a vent about my commute!! Win

My (motor)bike had a very beneficial effect on my stress levels during rush hour traffic x)
    .trixX. wrote: »

My (motor)bike had a very beneficial effect on my stress levels during rush hour traffic x)

Yeah, but then shit drivers change from inconveniences to attempted murderers...

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ZEROibis wrote: »

I see disagrees on this post, but the way the current balance looks, you really should provide a good reason for going shade first if you do it. It's so much weaker than shift nowadays.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    If a commander can drop RT's at a reasonable pace, and wants to go shade hive, that is there choice. They are the one in control of that. Just think of it as hardmode and you got to try harder.
    Awhile back I had a bugged game where we could not research phasegates. We tried everything from different commanders, recycling the obs, etc. The game was relatively even at that point. The commander said, "There will be no phasegates, this is hard mode boys. Play accordingly."
    So that is what we did. The commander focused the tres on upgrades instead of going obs, so we had a fast weapons 3. I think we even made it to jetpacks. We didn't complain, and played accordingly.
    edited October 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    If a commander can drop RT's at a reasonable pace, and wants to go shade hive, that is there choice. They are the one in control of that. Just think of it as hardmode and you got to try harder.

I would argue that unless the field players request shade/crag the commander should not use shade/crag.

The way I see it the only hive ability that is beneficial to the commander early game is echo. Spurs/shells/veils/hallucinating/mucus/enzyme abilities don't help the commander command, they help the fighters fight.

Based on this the only reason to go shade/crag is if it helps the fighters, because it won't help the commander. So unless the fighters want crag/shade why would you handicap yourself? Also, I know how I best fight and I'm the person fighting.

Second hive is iffy, ink is more often used then healwave... but players seem to prefer shells.
    Awhile back I had a bugged game where we could not research phasegates. We tried everything from different commanders, recycling the obs, etc. The game was relatively even at that point. The commander said, "There will be no phasegates, this is hard mode boys. Play accordingly."
    So that is what we did. The commander focused the tres on upgrades instead of going obs, so we had a fast weapons 3. I think we even made it to jetpacks. We didn't complain, and played accordingly.

If you have to consider one tech path "hard mode" over the others then it is quite clearly inferior. By that logic going w3/a0 with quick AA is also hard mode. But you wouldn't defend any marine commander doing that, right? I think your comparison is flawed, since in your match you were forced to play without pgs by circumstances. This is different from a comm consciously making a decision that is, frankly, objectively worse for the entire team.
    ink is more often used then healwave...

I disagree with this. I see healwave used more often. I only ever see Ink when there's ARCs, and I basically never see ARCs. (Although my perception may be flawed, I don't play a lot nowadays. This was definitely true a few weeks ago, though.)

Shade always was a great second hive, but only if you could use it. By comparison, crag is playing it safe. The thing is: In pub you can't expect people to fully use shade's utilities, and in comp people usually prefer that extra hp (afaik). So shade only ever gets used to make powerful teams even more powerful.
    @F0rdPrefect Healwave really? I guess because its effects arnt as Dramatic as ink/echo I don't really appreciate it... FMI how much does healwave boost healing?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    It's sad that members of the remaining community are so anal about winning that they think commanders should be ejected for such ridiculous reasons as shade hive first or wep 3 rush....

Games are meant for fun, and NS2 was a helluva lot more fun when most of the competitive "must win at all costs" players stayed on their "no rookies" servers (because they despised rookies for their lack of skill and game knowledge)

Ahh the days of silly and/or "imperfect" strats and balanced back and forth games being the norm...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    If you have to consider one tech path "hard mode" over the others then it is quite clearly inferior. By that logic going w3/a0 with quick AA is also hard mode. But you wouldn't defend any marine commander doing that, right?

I indeed would. Being a commander is not a democracy unless the commander chooses to do so. If you don't like the strat you should have commanded instead, and seeing as how it can take so long for 24 players to find two people willing to command.... I thought so. The commander has a semi privileged position

I HATE to say it but Mofo and I actually agree on something. The game should be about fun. You could argue that you have less fun with shade hive, but you chose to have fun. You have control over that. You should choose to have fun with whatever crazy strategy the commander wants.

Saying that, there is a difference between crazy and or not so strong strategies and incompetent. An incompetent commander should be ejected.

Crazy and or fun does not mean incompetent.
    edited October 2016
    We just had the most "fun" round ever on the TA server. After someone killed Hobbes in the opening engagement I found myself in the alien hive were I managed to spawn kill him 2x with some of his buddies... from that point on our only marine team goal was to kill Hobbes! He lost something like a dozen Lerks and every death came with laughter from the marines.

We lost in the end after killing 3 hives, agreeing that the only reason we were rushing the hive... was so that we could prolong the round and kill his lerk again! We didn't care about winning, only about that elusive Hobbes Lerk kill...

Saw some players make some snap shots that were truly amazing and Hobbes took it all in stride (blamed his cat)
    @F0rdPrefect Healwave really? I guess because its effects arnt as Dramatic as ink/echo I don't really appreciate it... FMI how much does healwave boost healing?

Yes. I don't know how much it heals exactly, but it can really help out in a pinch if you need to heal up and Onos quickly or defend a gorge tunnel.
    If you have to consider one tech path "hard mode" over the others then it is quite clearly inferior. By that logic going w3/a0 with quick AA is also hard mode. But you wouldn't defend any marine commander doing that, right?

I indeed would. Being a commander is not a democracy unless the commander chooses to do so. If you don't like the strat you should have commanded instead, and seeing as how it can take so long for 24 players to find two people willing to command.... I thought so. The commander has a semi privileged position

I HATE to say it but Mofo and I actually agree on something. The game should be about fun. You could argue that you have less fun with shade hive, but you chose to have fun. You have control over that. You should choose to have fun with whatever crazy strategy the commander wants.

Saying that, there is a difference between crazy and or not so strong strategies and incompetent. An incompetent commander should be ejected.

Crazy and or fun does not mean incompetent.

They have the privilege, but that means they also have the responsibility that comes with the effects of their actions. I know this is the most cliched thing ever, but it's true. And if they decided to do something that is likely to ruin the fun others are having, they better have a really good reason for that; i.e. they should be able to explain what they are doing.
    As you are saying, incompetent commanders should be ejected. A commander that a) goes shade and b) does not provide reason for doing so (which means he's likely not communicating at all) is incompetent in my book and could therefor be ejected.
    I'm not saying that you have to eject him. But I'd probably still vote for it if there's other people supporting it.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    Bla bla bla
    bla

I'll save both of you some effort.

You're both arguing about the level of COOPERATION between commander and each individual player which would satisfy both the commander and each individual player to have fun. At the end of the day if no marine builds RTs, commander won't have much fun, and if no marine gets medpacks or upgrades the marines aren't going to have fun. So both have to compromise and cooperate with each other to reach the end goal of killing all the hives. Both have to respect each other and do their role to the best of their ability.

The perception of what that ability is or how to achieve it is going to differ between everyone including you two. You'll both find common ground on what is ridiculous for a commander or a team of marines to do, and you'll both find common ground on what is reasonable for a commander or team of marines to do, but you're unlikely to be on exactly the same common ground on every issue.
    Wob wrote: »
    Bla bla bla
    bla

I'll save both of you some effort.

You're both arguing about the level of COOPERATION between commander and each individual player which would satisfy both the commander and each individual player to have fun. At the end of the day if no marine builds RTs, commander won't have much fun, and if no marine gets medpacks or upgrades the marines aren't going to have fun. So both have to compromise and cooperate with each other to reach the end goal of killing all the hives. Both have to respect each other and do their role to the best of their ability.

The perception of what that ability is or how to achieve it is going to differ between everyone including you two. You'll both find common ground on what is ridiculous for a commander or a team of marines to do, and you'll both find common ground on what is reasonable for a commander or team of marines to do, but you're unlikely to be on exactly the same common ground on every issue.

I actually thought we were still talking about a khammander going shade without explanation. But yeah, we were drifting into a more general direction.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    edited November 2016
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Am sorry to hear you had a bad game, but i would just like to say that commanding on rookie servers is one thing, but then to command on a server like TTO where alot of players with high playtime and EXP, One thing a server like the TTO likes, is a very vocal commander. Yes going armslab and Arm1 1st is the norm, but that shouldnt stop you from doing other things? just be more vocal about it.

But again there is a hugh skill gap in the style of commanding coming from a rookie only server to a server like TTO. Just dont let that fact get to you, learn and improve. I like to say, that its only a mistake if do it twice.

No. Here is where most of you pukes have got your ugly heads on backwards. After these long long years, out here in the furthest reaches, it is the experienced players that ought to be practicing tolerance and restraint.. Leave the scuttlebutt to the greenhorns! 9

P. S. <a href="http://wikipedia.com">STUPID</a&gt; is <a href="http://wikipedia.com">STUPID </a> does.. hyuck hyuck