And now there's Osiris New Dawn and possibly others...

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
Saw a Let's Play of Osiris Dawn and I was impressed. Nearly the same situation as Subnautica, only you worry about suit breaches. I plan on upgrading my machine's graphics card just for that game (it's becoming pretty obsolete now with new games requiring a 256 memory bus and more GPU power). I'll still be playing Subnautica, but I'll have to divide my time between Subnautica and Osiris: New Dawn and possibly Star Trek Online.

*sigh* So many new and awesome games coming out, but no time to play all of them...

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited October 2016
    Ye, No Man's Sky came out and cast a dark shadow on the entire gaming community. It just has nothing exciting about it. Then comes Osiris New Dawn, a game which isn't even nearly finished, and just bitch-slapped NMS. That giant worm coming out of the ground to get you is crazy! It may not be finished due to lacking animations & sounds, but it's crazy nonetheless. Same thing with Subnautica, the reaper is extremely crazy! Subnautica still stays my fav tho cause it's underwater.
  • vielviel Russia Join Date: 2016-06-02 Member: 217973Members
    edited October 2016
    Yep, I'm interested in "Osiris" too :)
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    wooooow thanks for the suggestion!!! I have to try it out :)
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Ye, No Man's Sky came out and cast a dark shadow on the entire gaming community. It just has nothing exciting about it. Then comes Osiris New Dawn, a game which isn't even nearly finished, and just bitch-slapped NMS. That giant worm coming out of the ground to get you is cray! It may not be finished due to lacking animations & sounds, but it's crazy nonetheless. Same thing with Subnautica, the reaper is extremely crazy! Subnautica still stays my fav tho cause it's underwater.

I imagine seeing that gigantic worm (I saw this in IGP's first O:ND video) must be a traumatizing experience if your mispelling upon mentioning is to be believed... :)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Osiris does look extremely interesting, but my main problem with it is constructing your base. Constructing the Habitat, Hallway, or Laboratory requires to construct each wall fragment in addition to the initial frame. Subnautica does it much better with building the entire room, then being able to upgrade it later with a window, reinforced wall, or Water Filtration Machine and being able to choose between a Corridor or Glass Corridor. So crafting a base is far more tedious in Osiris.

The main problem with No Man's Sky was that it was not an Early Access Game. If they released NMS as an Early Access game, then people would have given feedback that their ending is terrible and other important feedback. Players are extremely forgiving for Early Access games and NMS wouldn't have suffered as much.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2016
    All I can say is... Watch out for
    worms
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    There have been a lot of EA survival titles. I don't think a single one is complete yet, barring... Minecraft? Multiplayer survival seems to be incredibly difficult.
    • Subnautica, of course.
    • Starforge was absolute crap. The Steam page for it is hilarious, and the dev is basically a criminal.
    • Ark: Survival Evolved is nowhere near optimized, and releasing DLC in EA. Dinosaurs still awesome.
    • GRAV looks pretty neat. I tried it a bit recently, but didn't feel really hooked.
    • Osiris looks interesting.
    • Eden Star is pretty cool too, has an interesting base mechanic. I remember once I reported a bug where if you cut a resource voxel in half, it crashed the game. It was fixed in like a day or two, was neat.
    • Planet Explorers has my attention as well. If you like designing vehicles, weapons, armor, bases from the ground up, you will find much to interest you! Still in beta, updates frequently.
    • Space Engineers is pretty cool, but physics is a huge problem. Messing with things at a standstill is fine, but attempting to match velocity and mess with things is not. Mods are spectacular, but some of the authors are burnt out at this point.
    • Minecraft. If I have to tell you about this one...

What am I missing, here?
  • Tom2121Tom2121 USA, VA Join Date: 2016-09-04 Member: 222057Members
    I'v Played:
    Subnautica, of course. Great game but still has some Bugs about 80% done!
    Ark: Survival Evolved is OK but can get killed a LOT!
    Osiris: New Dawn and one day will be a Great game, But Not right Now!! Bugy as Hell and about 20% done.
    Space Engineers!!! "Awesome" Game and Lots of Mods for it!!!
    GRAV OK
    Kerbal Space Program other Great game with a lot of addons!
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I'm actually praying osiris comes to xbox ones preview program as well.. I love playing subnautica on my PC mainly do to the game actually working right lol.. but being able to sit back on your lazy boy kick your feet with a controller in your hands just can't be beat imo
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I'm actually praying osiris comes to xbox ones preview program as well.. I love playing subnautica on my PC mainly do to the game actually working right lol.. but being able to sit back on your lazy boy kick your feet with a controller in your hands just can't be beat imo

Steam Link. I recently got a Steam Controller and the thing has TWO touch pads, you can use it to type, and mod the controls to a ridiculous degree (in a good way!).

I still like my wired 360 controller though, it's not as configurable, but more standard.

Well, the devs did say they plan on getting the game out to consoles next year so...
  • ThethunderviperThethunderviper France Join Date: 2016-06-15 Member: 218613Members
    edited October 2016
    I have Osiris , and for me he is really empty for now , the map is small , biome are very poor , there is not a lots of creature , there is nothing to do in space , if you are in a nice place , you do 90% of the solo game in 1week ; i have not played multiplayer so i dont know how it is . But Osiris will probably be really good later . You should try something else in my opinion :wink:
    Only good point are graphics , wich are awesome , and the freedom to explore the map without having the need to drink/eat all the time .

personally im really interested by No mens's sky , i know he did a really bad start , but he still looks really cool to play .
    Well... Osiris still has a LOT of growing pains, but I can see a lot of potential in the title so I think investing in it NOW will benefit me later. I was interested in Subnautica when it came out, but during that time I was still entrapped by my new discovery of Minecraft and its Pocket Edition so I didn't get it then (and I regret that).

As for the other title, I was leery of it. Sure we saw videos of it but I was suspicious because it looked way too good to be gameplay footage. Let's just say it's a good game that held my attention for... three or so hours before I got bored. And it's supposedly a finished game. And I think I'll leave it at that for now...
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Planet Explorers is worth a look. Graphics aren't there yet but the dev team and community are active. Crafting to the extreme!

Also I just got a psvr and am letting my son kick the tires until my PS4 Pro arrives next month. He's blown away, even playing non-vr games rocks on it! If SN comes to PlayStation I'll buy even if it's not going tip use the psvr...the new console is beefier than my old laptop.
    edited October 2016
    And now I'm looking at Star Made (was browsing through Steam for space games). Has anyone played it? If not I may decide to take the plunge if I can run it... hmm...

Star Made? Starmade? Or is it Star Maid? Hmm...
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I must be missing something...

Osiris Dawn looks like a terrible game. I mean come on, a desert planet, really? Again? Kill me now.
  • LeonDOGELeonDOGE France Join Date: 2016-01-16 Member: 211525Members

Osiris Dawn looks like a terrible game. I mean come on, a desert planet, really? Again? Kill me now.

It's in Early Access, and there would be more than just one planet.

Meaning that in the future, the game would have space adventures, lol.

Not to mention it's going to have MP as well.

Eventually there are going to be two or more planets you can start on. I can't wait to see the ice planet the space pirates get to start on eventually... :)
    edited October 2016
    And now I'm playing Starmade (Apparently it's free while in its Alpha stage; the demo on Steam is the actual full game). And I'm horribly HORRIBLY tempted to recreate the Cyclops in said game...
  • maximo101maximo101 Australia Join Date: 2016-10-27 Member: 223413Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    There have been a lot of EA survival titles. I don't think a single one is complete yet, barring... Minecraft? Multiplayer survival seems to be incredibly difficult.
    What am I missing, here?
    Dual Universe looks pretty good too. (http://www.dualthegame.com/)

I havent gamed on pc in years, and am just building a gaming PC. Its games like these which made me do it since I was only playing playstation and didnt have access to so many.
    I just picked up Subnautica and will be looking at getting Osiris New Dawn too.
    I enjoyed NMS for 2 weeks until I basically min-maxed everything, that game could have really done so much better going into Early Access.