Should the Lost River brine deal damage to the player?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
I don't know if this is even something which I should take notice of, but there are a few people pointing out that the brine in the Lost River doesn't deal damage to you in experimantal. I don't know if they are "complaining" or if they are simply pointing out a fact, 'cause I have not heard any plans from the devs to make this a thing. So I want to hear your opinions on the subject. When you swim under the brine, should you take damage or not?

If you have any specific & detailed ideas on this, feel free to share them.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I'm all for more environmental hazards that aren't hyper-aggressive fish that want nothing more in life than to send you packing back to your lifepod.
    edited September 2016
    Fathom wrote: »
    I see no reason why it should deal damage other than some trope based expectations about off-color liquids and toxicity.

It could, however serve as cover for some kind of predator.

I can't remember where I read it at this point, but I recall something being said about the Lost River having an acidic environment that would damage you if outside a vehicle.... So there could be that perhaps? I kinda wish I could change my vote to "No preference / Don't care" now ^^;
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I've just had a bit of a complicated idea to explain. There should be a sort of proportionnality between the time you can spend underwater and the time you can spend under the brine. Take it this way: let's say the normal water is the equivalent of air, and the brine has the equivalent of normal water. Basically what happens is that once you go under the brine is that there's a limited amount of time you can spend searching under it before you have to swim back over it; a bit like returning to the surface for air. And the time you can spend whilst under the brine can be made longer once you've upgraded your suit or something, a bit like having a longer air supply when upgrading your oxygen tank.

What do you think? Good idea?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    It could, however serve as cover for some kind of predator.

Yes please! I would love some sort of stealth options where you can get extremely close to a dangerous creature and not having it see you because you're hiding in thick grass or brine! That'd be awesome!
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    I think the brine should be made 'dangerous' but we have so many things now that outright deal damage... gasopod clouds, mushroom spores, tiger plant barbs, lava, electricity, etc. They should change it up where being submerged in the brine could accelerate food/water loss similar to Bleeder attacks, and it affects you even inside vehicles. That way it could be a risk/reward system by hiding valuable tech or story-related unlocks inside the brine, and you have to be quick and careful to avoid an untimely death.

Or, maybe make it along the lines of mesmer attacks; where while being submerged you start to hallucinate stuff like bonesharks or reapers swimming near you. Although it's not really there, there's a chance that it's "real" and the game will spawn said enemy in to attack/damage you, and it despawns after it attacks; the longer you're submerged in the brine you become more addled and the chance of being attacked increases until you spend time out of the brine.
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    No,, the brine river is probably fresh water. (as that is how underwater rivers usually form)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    It could maybe slow you down when you swim thru it, as it seem to be more dense than water ... maybe. lol
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Absolutely. Gives us a reason to take the exosuit down there, ala the concept art.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I'm not sure if bring could harm someone swimming in it, but I know when frozen... well... just watch.

• ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    it really shouldn't since that just what the carar comes from and i think that's enough
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I font like the idea of the brine being dangerous. However, I do like the idea of it harbouring a predator.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    Brine is just water with an extremely high salt content, therefore being so dense as to qualify as another "layer" of liquid that clings to the ground. I can't see how something like that would really hurt as opposed to irritate - sure it'd probably sting like hell if it got in your eyes, but that's assuming your character doesn't already wear swim-goggles what with the HUD they always have.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members
    Put your hand inside a jar of pickles. If your hand doesn't take damage, then why the hell should that happen in game?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    BloodGod22 wrote: »
    Put your hand inside a jar of pickles. If your hand doesn't take damage, then why the hell should that happen in game?

Perhaps this brine does not consist of vinegar, but hydrochloric acid?
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members

Is is not just cold salty water? Why would it hurt you it is not even that much colder than the rest of the water.

If anything it it should make your water bar run out faster and/or slow you. But if you are wearing a suit of any kind it would negate the fluid usage de-buff
    Icremun wrote: »

Is is not just cold salty water? Why would it hurt you it is not even that much colder than the rest of the water.

If anything it it should make your water bar run out faster and/or slow you. But if you are wearing a suit of any kind it would negate the fluid usage de-buff

Brine here on Earth yes, but the developers seem to say that something in the Lost River's fluid composition is acidic in nature, and that's reflecting in the brine pool's affecting you. It can still be cold salty liquid and be acidic.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    oh ok, well it dose not really matter the brine is on the floor and very avoidable, if it insta-killed you nothing much would change.

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I'd rather have it that the player can hide under the brine... and going above might be risky in some places.

But generally speaking: Salt water shouldn't be dangerous!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    A bigger concern for me: Why are there no salt deposits in lost river?
  • FlappybatFlappybat Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165519Members
    I'm ok with it being damaging. It's another gameplay element that keeps things interesting.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I wish folks around here would be a bit clearer with their created polls...

All the things that would make the game harder, may be a lovely idea in their mind, but they need to be mostly limited to the Survival mode, so as not to effect those of us that are quite happy with the way things are now while playing in Freedom mode.

B)
  • VespertinestarVespertinestar UK Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221286Members
    Is the brine in underwater rivers not made up partly of Hydrogen Sulfide? I seem to remember seeing something about it years ago. Perhaps that would explain the toxicity?
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited September 2016
    Well Cory Strader (Squeal_Like_A_Pig), a dev, voted yes so maybe that is a hint that it will be like that, or he does just want that and maybe the rest of the team disagrees.
  • BloodGod22BloodGod22 England Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219708Members

Then it wouldn't be called brine would it?
    The brine rivers in the Lost River are caused by water with a higher level of salinity, so it's just way way saltier water.
    Unless you have gills and try to breathe in it, you should be fine.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members

For anyone who didn't follow that link, the Trello card indicates that they do, in fact, plan to make the brine dangerous. Which would explain why @Squeal_Like_A_Pig would have voted yes.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Honestly, the brine reminded me of the blue mist that covered the eggs in Alien.

(Fun trivia: The lasers used in that scene were provided by Pink Floyd, who were doing a show in town when they filmed that.)
    Something I saw from IGP's latest video: the green brine is now harmful in experimental, but not the blue brine. This makes me wonder wether this is because of the cove tree which could be filtering whatever is making the brine dangerous, and transforms the cove into an extremely pleasant biome with harmless creatures and brine; whereas the rest of the lost river is extremely creepy and filled with dangerous stuff. If this is true, I actually adore this idea!
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I personally LOVED the idea the brine hurts us, it's the first time (besides inside the aurora and both lava zones) that the very biome itself can hurt you not just the critters. The lava zones are obvious that they are deadly and there is NO explanation needed as to why it's lethal..

The brine on the other hand, maybe there is something there in the very lore of that biome that serves as both an explanation as to why it kills us, or its a crucial bit to the over all plot of the game.

Not only that but the Prawn suit will shine even more brightly now!! I'm thinking that the brine filled craters around the bone fields should have rare fragments only obtained there or materials/minerals for fabricating/building, much like the kyanite in the lava zones..

And I know right now that idea will NOT be to popular with most people, yet it also allows the developers find another way to "gate" our advancements with a way that's not overly obnoxious.. and truth be told it also appeals to the cartographer/explorer in me as well. Growing up playing games like zelda or hell even final fantasy games, very early on in a game you may come across or know of an extremely powerful weapon or a heart piece yet to can't access it until you have the hook shot or in this case the Prawn suit.