Reaper-free path to repairing the Aurora drives.

DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
For new players:

So you're getting tired of living in a radiation suit but you can't find a way into the Aurora that isn't guarded by a frikkin' Reaper Leviathan. What to do? Well, turns out there is a way in that doesn't require you to run that particular gauntlet (too closely), and it's actually fairly safe... provided you have a Seamoth, of course. I say this because while this path doesn't get too close to any Reapers, oh boy it is Sandsharks galore! The good news is that it's all very shallow, so you won't need any depth mods to do it. The bad news is that you'll want to pack specifically for this trip: At least one medkit, because flaming debris will land on your head at least once. A spare battery for your welder (you remembered the welder, right?) and lots of spare oxygen tanks. You'll also need a flashlight or glowstick if doing this at night (hint: wait for daylight, it's so much easier, trust me).

Now the first thing you should know about Reapers, if you don't already know, is that they love wide open spaces. When you see a lot of open space above you and nothing in it, that's your first clue you're entering Reaper territory. So the first rule of Reaper Survival is Hug the Ground. Stay low, keep near walls, and keep moving. They are fast but they hate bonking into things.

Not that you'll need to get into their hunting grounds for this, but it's a generally Good Thing to Know overall. Point being that if you stray off course and find yourself in open plains, you done screwed up somewhere, so don't blame me when you get chomped. With that disclaimer on the record...

Many pictures ahoy!

7k7sec9orjoe.jpg

First step is to hop in your Seamoth and beeline right for the Aurora. Again, stay low and keep moving. You'll pass a lot of Sandsharks. Good grief, soooo many Sandsharks. Just stay in your sub and keep moving and the worst they can do is bonk your for 1-2% hull at most. In this picture you can see that you've basically made it safe & sound and have reached the first big debris chunk to mark your accomplishment. Don't worry if you don't see the chunk, it's not a major thing, so long as you get to...

ezs2l6o48jbk.jpg

Right about here. In this picture you can see that I've come to the surface to get a bearing on exactly how close I am to the Aurora and what angle I'm facing. From here you're going to be heading toward the bow (front) of the ship, so turn left and get back under water. You'll want to stay fairly close to the hull, never letting it leave your line of sight. Again, this keeps you from accidentally straying into Reaper territory. Again, it's a plague of Sandsharks. Whatever you do, do NOT turn right and head for the engines. That direction leads right into a Reaper den.

juu44db8hi4v.jpg

So just cruise along and follow the big debris chunks for a while. This is the second one you're likely to encounter, and it's a bit more important. Why? See that other big debris chunk just past it in the distance?

8girx9uy3lzv.jpg

Now this, THIS is the critical piece of debris you want to watch for. Miss this and drive past it and you'll end up back in Reaper land again. So do not miss this! Memorize it.

sarlorpsv121.jpg

Because it's the landmark to this otherwise innocuous looking trench. In this picture you can clearly see the debris chunk on the left and the start of the trench on the right. The trench aims in the direction of the Aurora. You're going to want to head into that trench and see where it goes. Anything to get away from all the Sandsharks, right?

pelq2t9bbddh.jpg

(Insert Star Wars joke of your choice here)

czm5iclaa6g2.jpg

Aha! What is this? Why there is a big gaping hole in the side of the Aurora! I wonder where it could lead?

Why, it leads right into the engine room! How handy is that? This is also the only place in this journey that isn't buried in Sandsharks. Now since your Seamoth probably isn't going to fit in there too well, it's time to drop it off and dive in first person.

The corridor of scrap is very long and winding, which is why I said to bring extra air tanks in case you get stuck on something before making it to the engine room. But once inside, yep, it's the engine room itself. No monsters, no pesky Flea Cave Crabs bouncing all over you, etc etc. Time to whip out the welder and go to work!

Once you repair all ten holes the reactor will stop leaking radiation. Three game-days later you can finally retire your radiation suit. Be sure to pick up the free submarine mods while you're in there, too. I suggest exiting the same way you came in. The other exits can lead to... complications. Stomach complications, that is, from the Reapers trying to digest your scuba gear.

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Very helpful guide, should be of great assistance to new players :)

TBH though, I've got this nagging feeling that the safe mini-entrance won't remain there forever. I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be sealed up or something, like you'd need the Laser Cutter to get in that way... I certainly hope they don't do that though!
  • ZionExpressZionExpress Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150154Members
    I used this exact route not too long ago and found a reaper leviathan waiting for me in the trench as soon as I finished repairing the aurora. Luckily I was fully geared and my stasis rifle kept me relatively safe as I scrambled back to the cyclops.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I have encountered reapers in the areas shown on pictures 3 and 4. I remember because I drowned in that wreckage trying to hide from it. Otherwise, good guide! :)
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I like to go the intended way, through the front, because you get all the loot and the actual story pop ups in order. It would be confusing to new players that go this way instead of through the front because they will get the few story elements from the Aurora backwards. Either way though, a good guide for sure.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I usually approach from the south along the hull, park my Seamoth at the reactor hole and then go with the Seaglide along the hull to the front, skipping a part through some metal grid so I don't have to go all around the front. Never got nabbed by a Reaper.
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    edited July 2016
    I've noticed that reapers tend not to hang around the surface. Just head straight towards the aurora at a depth of 0M
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've noticed that reapers tend not to hang around the surface. Just head straight towards the aurora at a depth of 0M

That's what they want you to think, then suddenly they come up from the deep. Devouring you whole
  • yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    Sadly tho this no longer works as the hole has been patched
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    I play the current XB1 version, and I just swim over to the ship every time. I just stay on the surface, cut diagonally to the front of the ship, duck under the initial beam into the interior, swim up to the ramp that is partially submerged, walk right up it. I've never been attacked while swimming on the surface. I swim out to the floating island in the beginning, too (straight shot, passing the rear thrusters) You can hear the scary roars, but that's it.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    I play the current XB1 version, and I just swim over to the ship every time. I just stay on the surface, cut diagonally to the front of the ship, duck under the initial beam into the interior, swim up to the ramp that is partially submerged, walk right up it. I've never been attacked while swimming on the surface. I swim out to the floating island in the beginning, too (straight shot, passing the rear thrusters) You can hear the scary roars, but that's it.

Really? That's too close for comfort for me, I went there giving the Aurora a wider berth and ran into a fat lot of nothing. Only Crabsquid out there (at least at the time), and they're 200+ down, so it's a clear shot. I'm not sure if the FI is going to stay that clear to release, though.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    -Potentially stupid comment alert-

I thought the entrance to that tunnel inside the aurora drive core room was blocked off?
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members

I thought the entrance to that tunnel inside the aurora drive core room was blocked off?

It is - this thread was made before then, it just got necro'd.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    bwc153 wrote: »

It is - this thread was made before then, it just got necro'd.

Ah, I see. Thanks!
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    I've never had any reaper encounters by following a similar path -- approach from the left side of the Aurora and follow close by it until you reach the ramps at the front.

Just don't go too far away or down at the front, and don't go anywhere near the back -- both of those are prime reaper territory.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Okay - I found a quick fix solution for this.

1) Activate the console

2) Swim to the location without the Reaper

3) Enter "Spawn reaperleviathan" into the console.

Done! That should fix this problem.

Let me know how it works!
  • drbrianzdrbrianz USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216293Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Okay - I found a quick fix solution for this.

1) Activate the console

2) Swim to the location without the Reaper

3) Enter "Spawn reaperleviathan" into the console.

Done! That should fix this problem.

Let me know how it works!

it worked! all the Reapers are gone!
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    edited October 2016
    I am a tiny bit confused by this. I just swim using the sea-glide (or not, totally optional) in a straight line from the pod to the ships ramps on the oceans surface. Never any hassle. Ever. (except battery drainage this build). Applies post and pre-necro.