FEATURE REQUEST: Normalize which mouse button causes interactions

johnnymangosjohnnymangos PNW Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223223Members
edited October 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hey UWE,

The current default mouse bindings are confusing at best.
For example, right clicking in a locker causes items to shift from inventory <-> and back.
However, right clicking on an equipped item (like a helmet, tank, flippers, etc) does nothing.
Right clicking on a battery/power cell in a charger does nothing. This is inconsistent.

Furthermore, the above two actions require left-clicking, which is also how you "use" an item. This means that depending on the item type, a player must remember whether to right click or left click. Furthermore, right clicking on an item can cause that item to be dropped.

This causes a situation where a person can drop an item when they mean to use it, or at the very least cause frustration when trying to move items from inventory to chargers/reactors/equipped/etc.

One solution could be:
  • Right click always moves items between inventory <-> open window (equipped items, lockers, reactors, etc)
  • Left clicking on an item always uses it if possible (while inventory screen is open)
  • Left clicking when an item is selected in the hotbar uses it.
  • Right clicking when an item is selected in the hotbar and has two actions will perform the secondary action.
  • Another key should be used to drop an item, and not be a button click! (Like f? g? anything but a mouse-click!)
  • Lastly, this would require changing which button interacts with the world (opens containers, walking through doors, etc). Personally i'd go with a right-click to interact with the world (I did that at first when playing the game, left-clicking seemed weird in this situation, but that's obviously subjective).

Not sure if there's something I overlooked, but this would standardize the button clicks quite a bit!

Thanks
JM

Comments