[309] Ns2 offline bot training FPS drop and stuttering issues w/ unknown cause, plog.zip included

moonsword17moonsword17 California Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222261Members
edited October 2016 in Technical Support
Earlier today, during a local bot match where I commanded alien side, I noticed my game was unusually stuttering even though steam's fps counter read 80fps+ . Later, the fps suddenly and without cause dropped and stayed around 6-8 fps for a few minutes, then jumped back up to ~80fps again. No mods were enabled at the time and task manager read that ns2 was using only 32% of the cpu max (this is the normal amount). I used p_logall to log a section of gameplay and I was lucky enough to have it drop to the 6-8 fps for a minute while I was recording. To me, the cause is unknown and I have no ability to reproduce this.

Edit 2: After playing a round on ns2_veil with the same setup, (8v8, bots, i was khom), I did not get a major fps drop to 6-8 fps, but I continued to get the odd stuttering in some specific parts of the map (I was a skulk at this point). It was most notable in: readyroom and nanogrid, but it also occured in topographical. looking up at the ceiling or looking at the ground did not fix or decrease the stuttering effect, as it had with previous fps related problems. The plog.zip is titled Ns2_veil_plog.zip

Specs:
Gpu: Nvidia GeForce 950
Cpu: Intel i5-4590 @ 3.30 ghz
Ram: 16Gb ram w/ total virtual memory of 32 Gb
Mother Board: Giggabyte Z97-D3H
Display Ratio: 16 x 9
Display size: 1360 x 768

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    Please also supply us with an techsupprt.zip so we know your exact setup (including game configs etc). You can also use r_stats to see more details about what is currently happening with the render pipeline.
  • moonsword17moonsword17 California Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222261Members
    Ok! Edited the post and added tech_support.zip to the post. hopefully something beyond, "my computer sucks," is revealed.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    Ok! Edited the post and added tech_support.zip to the post. hopefully something beyond, "my computer sucks," is revealed.

Thanks, no with your pc specs you clearly should not have these issues. It seems like while you played with bots a critical error occurred causing the performance to drop drastically. I would like to ask you to try to play a round with bots at Veil and see if you run into the same situation again.
    I would like to ask you to try to play a round with bots at Veil and see if you run into the same situation again.

Ok, I updated the post. In short, the 6-8 fps problem did not occur but I got stuttering in certain spots (especially readyroom) . Do I need to re-upload a new tech_support.zip or any other log files?
    I would like to ask you to try to play a round with bots at Veil and see if you run into the same situation again.

Ok, I updated the post. In short, the 6-8 fps problem did not occur but I got stuttering in certain spots (especially readyroom) . Do I need to re-upload a new tech_support.zip or any other log files?

Switch to DX11 just to see if that resolved the stuttering (could be texture streaming related) and make a screenshot with r_stats enabled when the stuttering happens.
    so, after switching to dx11, the stuttering still occurs, but it is much less noticeable. I still got some stuttering in nano grid of Ns2_veil and facing south, (towards cargo), seems to make it worse. Screenshot: 4F92FAB60086A5316BC966A714AAFDD2881622AA
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2016
    Archie wrote: »
    Pretty sure it has to do with your idle being under 20, when hosting your own server some people get a low idle which causes stuttering and even red plugs, one way to fix this is increasing your moverate and tickrate, however this can negatively impact your performance on your local server and put more stress on your CPU, though PM me if you want to try it out, i can walk you through it on Steam.

His hitches are mostly caused by frame spikes of the D3D render calls and have nothing to do with the UpdateWorld job or with the network interface.