[Crash] Experimental v39349

JagaJaga Join Date: 2016-10-11 Member: 223051Members
edited October 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting

Game became slower and slower, finally reaching ~1-2 FPS and crashing.

Comments

• JagaJaga Join Date: 2016-10-11 Member: 223051Members
    Two additional crashes, same symptoms and in the same area. All three while driving the Seamoth. Seems like this version of Experimental has rendered the Seamoth lag-heavy for some reason, and mostly useless.
  • jrose78jrose78 MA Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221437Members
    Multiple crashes here. I switched graphics to minimum but still getting crashes and freezes for about 15 seconds or so. I am to lazy to post my logs ;-) .
    I can't seem to get out of the area where the crashes are occurring. Every time I try (even surfacing before moving horizontally) it fails and crashes.

And since there's no ability to revert to the last experimental patch(es), and no way to rollback to stable once the save schema updates, it makes the game unplayable.

My advice to anyone reading - if you are actively trying to play the game, don't use experimental for any reason.
  • jrose78jrose78 MA Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221437Members
    I agree with Jaga if you are thinking of experimental think of it as a job that you are not getting payed for because it is some rough going ;-) .
    Finally had enough of fighting with the game. Restored my only non-Experimental backup save from ~2+ days ago, and reverted the code to stable. Experimental is just a hot mess, and only worthy of testing a single change to the game (item/creature/etc). Not at all suitable for gameplay of any duration, much less a full play-through.

It was worth losing 2+ days of play to have it stable again. That should tell anyone just how inadvisable Experimental is/can be.
  • BacchatusBacchatus Join Date: 2016-10-12 Member: 223071Members
    I don't think that anyone should take this as a shot at SN specifically. This goes for any "bleeding edge" build in any piece of software or even drugs. By opting into using it, you're accepting that you could very well be signing up for an absolute headache. Experimental isn't for someone who just wants to get in and play the game. After I got over my frustrations with the crashes earlier, I figured out a way around the problem and will just continue playing experimental and reporting my issues until they get fixed.

If no one plays experimental, nothing ever gets fixed. :smile: If you don't want to participate, that's a choice. Not a dig at the product.
    You're preaching to the choir here Bacchatus.

I've worked directly with development teams in the past on other games. I read somewhere (Steam or these forums) that Experimental was "usually stable enough to play, and didn't have regular major issues". That statement was patently false, and I wanted to let anyone reading my bug report know that clearly, so they don't lose days of their lives as well.

It would be one thing if we had separate savegame management (>1 save), saving through a console command, and the ability to rollback to different experimental versions (other games have this on Steam). But with multiple builds per day, them being highly volatile, and only a single save slot accessible at any time, I can't recommend anyone who isn't a tester actually opt-in to experimental.
  • BacchatusBacchatus Join Date: 2016-10-12 Member: 223071Members
    I'm down with that, Jaga.

I'm personally finding the build playable, albeit while avoiding one specific area. I find that with frequent saves and occasional use of console commands, the version is acceptable enough for an experimental build.

I haven't seen the statement that you're referencing, but I'm new to the community. But I think we somewhat agree. If you aren't 100% committed to the possibility of losing a lot of work and dealing with a lot of potential crashing/bugs, don't opt into experimental. It's already an early release game, so why would you sign up for the early early release if you just want to play the thing?