Having someone to talk to in game

thatoneswimmercarlthatoneswimmercarl Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222471Members
Say for instance, instead of the system that we have in our suit to warn us about dangers to us (Like how much O2 we have left)why don't we have another AI in our suit. it could Serve the purpose of helping us deduce what happening with the story. Might also add a little more life to the game. or somwwthing around thoses lines. What I'm saying is, is that it would add to the story

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, the whole feedback system seems to need something. *I* know to go haul off and get some silver, and since it wasn't near the vent, to check in kelp forest. But a new player might be a lot more leery of Stalkers, and choke their own progression because they don't know where to go, and nothing tells them.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Plus it can, you know, actually get pretty lonely down there.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole feedback system seems to need something. *I* know to go haul off and get some silver, and since it wasn't near the vent, to check in kelp forest. But a new player might be a lot more leers of Stalkers, and choke their own progression because they don't know where to go, and nothing tells them.

It seems to me that's kind of the whole point though, isn't it? You're lost on an alien world. You're not supposed to know right where to find everything you need to survive, so you have to actually explore to find it. Yes that means an inexperienced player is going to progress more slowly than us early access vets. But our rate of advancement is not the standard. If the AI holds the players' hands too much the game won't be a lot of fun.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    You're lost on an alien world. You're not supposed to know right where to find everything you need to survive

Speaking of which, do any of you keep a companion animal around? Or anthropomorphize an object as a companion? If so, what? I remember I used to have a bunch of domesticated stalkers swimming around my seabase, until one of them bugged out and attacked me... After that a little "repulsion cannon relocation" was necessary.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    You're lost on an alien world. You're not supposed to know right where to find everything you need to survive

Speaking of which, do any of you keep a companion animal around? Or anthropomorphize an object as a companion? If so, what? I remember I used to have a bunch of domesticated stalkers swimming around my seabase, until one of them bugged out and attacked me... After that a little "repulsion cannon relocation" was necessary.

Well, soon enough we'll have the cutefish for companionship. I keep a group of rabbitrays outside my base.
  • thatoneswimmercarlthatoneswimmercarl Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222471Members
    I just wanted an AI similar to Cortana or EDI, Just someone talking to me occasionally would take the loneliness out of the game a bit and moving the story forward. A companion is fine but idk i just want something talking to me.
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members

I've got me two friendly Reefbacks. My base is on top of the big pillar in the Grassy Plateaus, near Lifepod 17, so they hang around frequently. The one closer to the surface is called 'High-George' and the one closer to the bottom 'Low-George'. High-George's tentacles often clip inside my base. It used to freak me out a little bit before I got used to it. The constant rumbling noise they make is very soothing, I enjoy it very much. It's the perfect spot for my base.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members

I anthropomorphize the lifepod. Its circles are eye-like enough for it, so all I need to do is build a base on the surface level to get the effect.
    Yeah, the whole feedback system seems to need something. *I* know to go haul off and get some silver, and since it wasn't near the vent, to check in kelp forest. But a new player might be a lot more leers of Stalkers, and choke their own progression because they don't know where to go, and nothing tells them.

It seems to me that's kind of the whole point though, isn't it? You're lost on an alien world. You're not supposed to know right where to find everything you need to survive, so you have to actually explore to find it. Yes that means an inexperienced player is going to progress more slowly than us early access vets. But our rate of advancement is not the standard. If the AI holds the players' hands too much the game won't be a lot of fun.

Well yeah, but it's perfectly reasonable that people might start avoiding kelp forest a little the first time that a Stalker rushes them. They're easy to dodge and slash, but everyone makes that first unarmed trip in for pods to make silicone, for that first knife.

How is a new person going to know that they need to go and swim down into kelp trenches for silver? How is a new person going to know that oxygen tanks stack? Something needs to tell them, and console players probably aren't going to read wikis before they just shrug and return the rented game.

It doesn't have to be obvious, having a lifepod scanner for basic resources makes perfect sense for game lore, since you're told to go get local resources for your toys. People will find most things pretty quick, then probably get stuck on bleach, silver for circuits, magnesium from salt, something.
    We get to go 1.5 kilometers deep and a little beyond, and tangle with Reaper Leviathans and dragons in lava caves.
    Giving people a nudge in safe shallows to get them rolling is not unreasonable.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Well yeah, but it's perfectly reasonable that people might start avoiding kelp forest a little the first time that a Stalker rushes them. They're easy to dodge and slash, but everyone makes that first unarmed trip in for pods to make silicone, for that first knife.

How is a new person going to know that they need to go and swim down into kelp trenches for silver? How is a new person going to know that oxygen tanks stack? Something needs to tell them, and console players probably aren't going to read wikis before they just shrug and return the rented game.

It doesn't have to be obvious, having a lifepod scanner for basic resources makes perfect sense for game lore, since you're told to go get local resources for your toys. People will find most things pretty quick, then probably get stuck on bleach, silver for circuits, magnesium from salt, something.

Things like stacking O2 tanks are as simple as a message on the PDA when you build your first one that says "Consider carrying multiple tanks for longer endurance" or something like that. That's perfectly reasonable. I don't think the game should tell people where to go to find the resources though. That's something they should have to hunt for. The game already highlights a limestone node and says "break limestone" or something like that to show you that those funny lumps on the ground are things you can break for resources. There should be an indicator that you can knife coral tubes for samples, much like the game will already highlight a creepvine and tell you to cut it. But I also think that people will look around the safe shallows (and bear in mind you CAN find silver in the safe shallows caves) and if they can't find what they want to find right by the lifepod, sooner or later they will go further away.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members

I just talk to myself. Its hard to get lonely when there's like three of you stuck inside your own head. Its a little weird when you start using words you aren't familiar with and then have to explain it to yourself, but loneliness isnt really a problem. (I assume the character has gone a little crazy after a few weeks)

Things like stacking O2 tanks are as simple as a message on the PDA when you build your first one that says "Consider carrying multiple tanks for longer endurance" or something like that. That's perfectly reasonable. I don't think the game should tell people where to go to find the resources though. That's something they should have to hunt for. The game already highlights a limestone node and says "break limestone" or something like that to show you that those funny lumps on the ground are things you can break for resources. There should be an indicator that you can knife coral tubes for samples, much like the game will already highlight a creepvine and tell you to cut it. But I also think that people will look around the safe shallows (and bear in mind you CAN find silver in the safe shallows caves) and if they can't find what they want to find right by the lifepod, sooner or later they will go further away.

Kind of what I mean. The game could offload those indicators onto a "survival resource scanner" in the pod, so that people could get a bit of tutorial, or ignore it and go their own way. People can and will get stuck at weird places, and having a good hint system in place could help <span style="font-size:1px">console babbies</span>.

It's not going to help much with bacterial infections, though, probably...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I just wanted an AI similar to Cortana or EDI, Just someone talking to me occasionally would take the loneliness out of the game a bit and moving the story forward. A companion is fine but idk i just want something talking to me.

Find a Soccer Ball and paint a face on it.
    B)
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

WIIILSOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited October 2016
    DaveyNY wrote: »

B)

WIIILSOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if it's allowable for the Dev's to actually add something like that to the game?
    Would it be stepping on somebody's toes, and thus a no-no?

Maybe a Basketball instead...

OH, I know!!!

A MARBLEMELON on a STICK (Flare?)
    B)
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    There is this stuffed animal thingy you find in the aurora. You can even put a cap on it.
    Heh...
    I've got that sitting on the headboard of my bed in my Seabase.
    But I call it "Morris".
    B)
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    @EvilSmoo I started playing this game as a console player ( recently migrated to pc ) and never once did I shrug and go to something else, nor have a ever been stuck....EVER....

Even in the begining I found the game extremely easy.. after you scan an object a nifty little thing happens.. there is a discription of said thing in your PDA, which is hand holding enough imo.

What you can't learn from scanning simply taking a quick glance at your fabricator will at the very least give you a nudge.. then it's a matter of looking..

Now with all that said what I think would be a great addition is, the things we scan instead of going to another screen all together (in real time) is the pretty voice in our heads actually speaks and gIves us a rather brief discription of what we scanned. An example is

Creeper vines

"It's edible as is and can be fed into the fabricator to produce fiber mesh, lubricant and silicone."

This way you can still get the jist of it and if you want to delve deeper later (while safe) you can, and as a added bonus it limits the hand holding that people keep asking for AND you get the feeling that your AI is actually there for you.

Truth be told tho, I fall into the group of people that wish this game was more in your face with the struggle to survive against the creatures... even the big scary ones are teddy bears..
    I have a feeling that adding a voice-over for each individual item, would be a bit of a memory hog.
    B)
    @EvilSmoo I started playing this game as a console player ( recently migrated to pc ) and never once did I shrug and go to something else, nor have a ever been stuck....EVER....

Even in the begining I found the game extremely easy.. after you scan an object a nifty little thing happens.. there is a discription of said thing in your PDA, which is hand holding enough imo.

What you can't learn from scanning simply taking a quick glance at your fabricator will at the very least give you a nudge.. then it's a matter of looking..

Now with all that said what I think would be a great addition is, the things we scan instead of going to another screen all together (in real time) is the pretty voice in our heads actually speaks and gIves us a rather brief discription of what we scanned. An example is

Creeper vines

"It's edible as is and can be fed into the fabricator to produce fiber mesh, lubricant and silicone."

This way you can still get the jist of it and if you want to delve deeper later (while safe) you can, and as a added bonus it limits the hand holding that people keep asking for AND you get the feeling that your AI is actually there for you.

Truth be told tho, I fall into the group of people that wish this game was more in your face with the struggle to survive against the creatures... even the big scary ones are teddy bears..

Congratulations, you didn't have a problem. Neither did I. Goooo us?

However, games should be designed with as many people as possible in mind. Same reason they changed blood color: they want to sell as many copies as possible. And more guidance until the player has a base and a good start won't hurt that. Full tutorials are frequently annoying, but getting stuck on rubber, or silver, or whatever, could be sidestepped. No reason to force people to use it, but including it could help people out, as well.