Cyclops: Modifications and Additions

CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
The Cyclops adds some amazing elements to the game that I love, including being a major player objective, but I feel like it can be expanded. The more I play, the more I feel like the Cyclops is just being used for moving things around, and is not really necessary for the player to use until they need to go places with the PRAWN Suit. I think its utility as a massive transport vessel could be used a bit better. So far, the player can transport the Seamoth and PRAWN around, as well as have some ability to store items and fish. I think that It would be neat to use the Mobile Vehicle Bay to choose some add-ons to the Cyclops when building it, and I’m thinking most about variation in the dock area and behind the bridge. More specifically, I’d like to be able to sacrifice areas in order to use it for a different purpose.
• Storage: I’d like to have a gigantic tank where I can keep a whole bunch of fish, kind of like an Alien Containment Unit in the Multipurpose Rooms. I know I can put a bunch of fish tanks in there and hold fish, but I want them to be able to breed, and I want to be able to put eggs is there and watch them hatch. This makes more sense to me than putting a giant fish egg in a locker until I get home and hoping it makes the trip. It might even be cool to set up something like gravsphere type mechanism for small fish, where it sucks them in as I am driving and I can sort them out later. It might even be cool to have a gigantic locker that I can access by just swimming up to the side of the sub (automatic crafting?). I know I can build lockers in there but I have to go inside very time to drop of my stuff.

• Transport: I’d like to modify my submarines ability to surfacing and diving speed, or add some structural stability to take less damage from collisions.

• Power: Can I sacrifice the Seamoth area and put in a bioreactor? I’d like to see a thermal generator put in. That way I can recharge my sub by parking it over a thermal vent for a few minutes and go exploring. I can also free up upgrade slots that I normally use for power efficiency modules. At some point, having a lot of power in there is going to be useless. I can’t see myself needing a nuclear reactor in my Cyclops without being able to put a Seamoth in it either.

• Scanner: If I’m not using my Cyclops for transportation of other vehicles, I am using it to gather mass amounts of resources to bring back to base. The scanner room really helps me find resources around me, but because resources can be exclusive to certain biomes, I am going to have to build a scanner in each area to find resources as easily. If I can have a shorter range scanner in my Cyclops, maybe behind the bridge, or utilizing one of the consoles in the bridge. If I am looking for lithium, I can set the scanner to search for it, and then I can be alerted at the helm that the scanner has detected some. That way I know where to stop. If combined with a massive storage modification underneath, this can be the ultimate grinding machine!

• Aesthetics: I’d like to put in some windows behind the bridge, just because. I can’t really think of anything else here but optional windows would be nice…yeah

In summary, I think the Cyclops sub could use some more task specialization. We have a moonpool to modify the smaller vehicles, and the Mobile Vehicle bay for the Cyclops. I think that we should be using that to modify the sub rather than the builder. Having the same equipment in your sub as your base is cool, but I like to think of my seabase more as my home than my sub. I think there is a lot of space that can be used, and more things that the players can enjoy here, as well as more fragments to find. I hope that other people think of cool stuff to put in this thread that I couldn’t think of.

Comments

• badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    The Cyclops would definitely benefit from having some added utility
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    The more I read on the forums, the more I see that players want scanning capability from the Cyclops. But I don't think the cyclops should have the full capability of the scanner room, otherwise why build it onto the seabase? Considering the full capability of the scanner room at the moment, I'm not sure what can be done to make a difference other than mobility. There has to be some incentive for building the room though, if we have both, right?
  • JeffGerdesJeffGerdes USA Join Date: 2016-10-01 Member: 222754Members
    I would kill for this thing to have sonar, driving anywhere that's dark is a real pain.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    The more I read on the forums, the more I see that players want scanning capability from the Cyclops. But I don't think the cyclops should have the full capability of the scanner room, otherwise why build it onto the seabase? Considering the full capability of the scanner room at the moment, I'm not sure what can be done to make a difference other than mobility. There has to be some incentive for building the room though, if we have both, right?

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145448/base-and-cyclops-scanner-rooms-cyclops-for-resource-base-for-wrecks

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/144702/cyclops-and-other-subs-power-and-upgrade-potential-and-a-wishlist-and-why

I've thought about this. I've also posted about this. XD
    RIght on. Thats a lot more specific than I was going and I think it sounds really cool. Do you have any other ideas we can add to this thread?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members

I know I had something typed out in a comment elsewhere, but I can't refind it. This would be my suggestion for the scanner room, camera drones, and cyclops.

I suggest that drones get their own function to mark loot of interest. This way, they work in cooperation with the scanner room instead of being somewhat superfluous. The scanner room can search a wide area for one specific resource, so what if drones could be used to scout out a hotspot to mark any other loot in the area that would be a nice grab-along? Then if those drones have their own function, they can be made compatible with the Cyclops. The Cyclops would therefore not have the scan function of the scanner room, but it would have scouts to manually mark loot with.
  • kajisorakajisora Join Date: 2016-09-27 Member: 222646Members
    JeffGerdes wrote: »
    I would kill for this thing to have sonar, driving anywhere that's dark is a real pain.

This. Just... this.
    I've taken my Cyclops to the lava zone by the Cove Tree a few times now. It's been a pain each and every time because of poor lighting combined with the 'clops being friggin huge. Adding the seamoth sonar capability would solve that. I rarely even use it on the seamoth itself: Aside from a few tiny tunnel systems, the moth can get by fine exploring with just the spotlights.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    lighting upgrade and better glass that is not practically opaque also maybe the cameras already on the cyclops could be scanner room drones
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    • Power: Can I sacrifice the Seamoth area and put in a bioreactor? I’d like to see a thermal generator put in. That way I can recharge my sub by parking it over a thermal vent for a few minutes and go exploring. I can also free up upgrade slots that I normally use for power efficiency modules. At some point, having a lot of power in there is going to be useless. I can’t see myself needing a nuclear reactor in my Cyclops without being able to put a Seamoth in it either.

Usual game thermal vents seems too narrow for Cyclops. Parking in lava zones seems useless too because of dat lava larva which attaches to hull and drain enormous amount of energy.
    I mean
    Talissera wrote: »

Usual game thermal vents seems too narrow for Cyclops. Parking in lava zones seems useless too because of dat lava larva which attaches to hull and drain enormous amount of energy.

I understand that. I mean more like the Deep Grand Reef and the little volcano by the Koosh zone. The ones that stick up a lot. I want to be able to park my sub over it so it can recharge, and explore.