Probably stupid questions that I need answered... :/

DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members
Where is the spot to put upgrades in my cyclops... got my pressure compensator but don't know where to put it

Also... do animals/resources respond after being mined or killed?

And to top this post off with all of its stupidity, I give you the best question yet.... Why is the bloodkelp zone called the bloodkelp zone?

Comments

• Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I cna answer both. For the 1st question about the modules, you can find the panel through the right door to the engine room at the back of the cyclops.
    For the blood kelp thing, it is called blood kelp biome because of the kelp that grows there. Small red pustules grow on it and it looks like they're full of blood.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Animals do currently respawn. Or at least the edible ones do. Pretty sure most preds do too - the only reason I'm not sure every animal does is because the spiders and the bleeders in the Aurora do disappear after a while. But that might be a trait of the Aurora, not of the critters.

Resources do not respawn. I believe the exceptions are sandstone in the vents and the footprints of sea treaders. Everything else stays gone.
  • DaAngryCheeseDaAngryCheese Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222374Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Animals do currently respawn. Or at least the edible ones do. Pretty sure most preds do too - the only reason I'm not sure every animal does is because the spiders and the bleeders in the Aurora do disappear after a while. But that might be a trait of the Aurora, not of the critters.

Resources do not respawn. I believe the exceptions are sandstone in the vents and the footprints of sea treaders. Everything else stays gone.

Well... if that include scrap metal, then there goes my plan to build a base that spreads into every biome using resources I find and not spawned in...

• Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    edited September 2016
    I've heard conflicting reports on whether scrap continuously spawns or whether things like quartz respawn. The developers are kind of put in a tricky position here because ideally you should be able to build your base as big or as ambitious as you want it to be. You shouldn't be forced to consider the world's total amount of resources. That seems too much to put on the player's head and it can become a beginner's trap.

On the other hand, you should be forced to go further and further out to get the resources you need. That is by design. You've not had the real Subnautica experience until you find yourself harvesting stuff and you hear the telltale distant roar of a certain monstrosity.

My recommendation is to build as if you do have infinite resources. The game isn't even released yet so future releases might jank up your save file anyway. A nice note is that very few of your resources are "consumed". If you deconstruct something, you usually get the same amount of resources you used to construct it. So it's more like your pool of resources doesn't shrink through construction so much as it gets applied .
    If you really somehow managed strip the game completely of its resources, I personally think you deserve to be able to console spawn in anything you need for your megaproject. Whatever that's worth.

(For the record, I'm in the camp of thinking certain resources should respawn in the final version, but at an extremely slow rate that it's not worth checking back in old areas for a very long time. Alternatively, create a system which monitors how much resources are in the world total and if they drop below a certain threshold, sporadically respawn some of them.)
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited September 2016
    Where is the spot to put upgrades in my cyclops... got my pressure compensator but don't know where to put it

Also... do animals/resources respond after being mined or killed?

And to top this post off with all of its stupidity, I give you the best question yet.... Why is the bloodkelp zone called the bloodkelp zone?

Lies, these are not stupid questions. Not great questions, but not stupid.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Subnautica_Wiki - you can get many information from here, and it's more or less up to date with experimental.

Also, don't forget the Cyclops efficiency upgrade in the Aurora reactor room. I use the console and load 3 of the things in, for happy fun infrequent recharging.

I haven't bothered much with gathering/building. I just slap in "nocost" and "fastbuild" and go with it. Maybe in version 1.0 I'll go legit, but I've deleted a few savegames already anyway.
  • ThosarThosar Join Date: 2016-08-14 Member: 221302Members
    In my experience, scrap metal does spawn, most quickly around the aurora. It does take time, but it does happen. Also, the sea treaders spawn chunks by their feet which can be broken for copper, lead, or titanium.
    Quartz, lithium, and other things you find stationary on the ground do not respawn as far as I can tell, nor do rock chunks which are not from sea treaders.
  • cheetored20cheetored20 cheetored20 Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218564Members
    i believe quarts respawns when you reload the game (quit to menu and then load game again)