Such a stupid community, gonna quit playing

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    It was not a comm restriction but a restriction on hive skill. Only players between ~880 and ~1580 hive skill could join.

So what has that to do with what Wob suggested.

Wob suggested:
    Wob wrote: »
    There needs to be more environments between rookie servers and TTO (higher skilled). Perhaps @SupaFred can make artifical environments for commanders so that:

A 1k skill player can only command in an avg skill <1.3k game?
    A 1.5k skill player can only command in an avg skill <2.0k game?
    etc etc

There are two possible ways that I can think of in which one could accomplish what Wob suggested. The first is to have hive skill segregated servers. The second is to have some arbitrary rule such that a player can not command if their hive skill is XX% below the servers average skill. I was speaking to the former because it actually creates the in between environment that Wob was suggesting.. Heavily skill segregated servers are not realistic at this time because the playerbase is too small.

Then Mofo comment prompted me to go into full explanation mode. It was probably unnecessary.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    We had a good System that marked Servers by the skill-level. So i could always see how the skill level on a servver was in relation to my skill. the range was from 3 red arrows to 3 green arrows:

3 red arrows: skill is a lot higher than yours.
    3 green arrows: skill is too low for you.

why not bringing this back?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There needs to be more environments between rookie servers and TTO (higher skilled). Perhaps @SupaFred can make artifical environments for commanders so that:

etc etc

There is no way for me to configure the check that way and even though it could be a good idea in theory I don't think it would work. It would confuse a lot of people if they were allowed to command one day but not the next.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members

@Mofo, oh yes you did too know about it. Don't give me that. I just wasted a stupid amount of time finding the following comments.
    You could restrict it to just the middle 50% skill between 998 to 1560 skill. That would cut out lower skilled and the higher skilled players. This would result in better team shuffles.

Otherwise I don't understand what you mean by headroom?

As this sounds rather interesting i was so free to host a server following this concept. It's avaible as Ghoul's Box #Casuals Only ;)
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Having god-like pros stomping every single round seems to me like it would also kill off the community...

Frankly I'm just tired of seeing games completely ruined by 1-3 high skill players... Yesterday there were six populated servers in NA and they all had 2-3 high skill pros. That's more than enough for them to play against each other instead of ruining game after game after game (after game after game...) across six servers...

I guess 1200 (or even 1000) would still be better than nothing. I'd just be forced to intentionally play like crap on the high skill servers so I can get under 1000..

Anything to play without high skill pros skewing the balance of every single game...

@ghoul. Any chance that server is in NA?? My ping to Euro servers is too high...

My bad @Nordic I remember now.. I never saw it in the browser... and I don't think I ever got an answer as to whether it was a US server or not (but I could very well be wrong on that)
  • JolniJolni Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58231Members
    Rammler wrote: »
    We had a good System that marked Servers by the skill-level. So i could always see how the skill level on a servver was in relation to my skill. the range was from 3 red arrows to 3 green arrows:

yep, i liked that too, but to be fair, right now it's not like you could choose from tons of different servers, you just connect to the one with a free slot no matter the skill level... ;)
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2016
    etc etc

This could indeed be a good idea.

But still not feasible given the player size. 50% of the players are between 880 and 1580 hive skill. If you filled a server with players in this skill bracket, it would have a standard deviation of about 200. Theoretically such a server would have the most balanced public games imaginable.

Ghoul tried making a server like this. We tried seeding it for a few days but we never could. Not many people joined, and most of those who did were not a fan of the restriction.

I also want to note, that you need to consider joining behaviour. Most ppl always join a server with the highest success of getting a “good“ game quite quickly... so a server with less than 9 people looks rather unattractive, since you dont know what to expect, since you rather wait for a slot on the usual suspects which have established themselves.
    So I think your experiment isn't relevant or wasn't executed good enough. Since the hiverestriction let's people join slower than on other servers which leads to people waiting for another slot, because you're time is limited including you're patience..

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited September 2016
    Jolni wrote: »
    Rammler wrote: »

yep, i liked that too, but to be fair, right now it's not like you could choose from tons of different servers, you just connect to the one with a free slot no matter the skill level... ;)

That was taken out due to not being precise. It only showed the average skill, so a single 3000+ player could skew it significantly.
    I'd rather have nothing than a misleading hint.
    I think the server skill thing was very helpful... But it should've been set to show whatever the highest skilled players in the server are...

Simply because a server with a couple 3k players is a high skill environment even if all the other players are under 500... Also because a server that shows as low skill could deter other high skill players from joining)

It wasn't the feature, it was the way they implemented it..

Much like hp bars.. A feature that wouldn't be so bad if they didn't track the target in real time. (unlike the damage numbers which stayed wherever you landed the hit)
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can&#39;t work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    I too, have played this game for quite a long time. The night NS1 came out, in fact.

My opinions have been similar, in some ways, many times. It doesn't take many to turn a potentially good game, into a horrible one. There are jerks in every game, however, because NS2 relies so much on teamwork and strategy, it's easier for people to be one.

Keep playing, remove any reason someone would have for ejecting you (connectivity, strategy, skill,) and you'll find that in time, these problems occur less and less.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    edited September 2016
    Can't deny the intelligence comment...

Alien com yesterday would echo out base harvester and not re-drop until he wanted to echo out another. Then would drop it drifter build it and echo it to a gorge. Next game we start with 3 gorges, and he still drops a shift/drifter and refused to not echo RT. When we're trying to "help" him he comments "all I do is command I got this"....

I look at his skill; 800 ouch, look at his hours; +2000 WTF!!! Yes that's an 8 with two 0's and a 2 with three....

Maybe we need a skill score to hours ratio to determine intelligence...
    maD maX wrote: »
    Maybe we need a skill score to hours ratio to determine intelligence...

How would that even work?

You could have over 9000 hours, be the most intelligent player ever to play NS2, and still have low skill score if your aim/reflexes are bad enough.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Plus ppl idle in menu or servers to seed for days at a time. Not reflective of actually experience time.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Um guys, I think he's already gone :open_mouth:

This is the most relevant remark in this topic.
    It's both funny and sad tho.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    edited September 2016
    Just checked now. Some people seem to have misread or skipped to read what actually happened. I kinda overreacted yes, but for those who didn't properly understand, i just quickly write down some things.

1. I do always use voice chat on every single multiplayer game, even in Battlefield. Don't worry about that.

2. My micro with RTS game is overall pretty good (was once top3 on COH2 on three factions for example) and NS2 commanding for me is technically nothing more than easy task, but of course highly interesting and communicative, which i loved.

3. I said i have played as commander in NS from 2003-2014. Many people seem to have understood that i played only around 2003. Guys, seriously, it is 11 years and NS2 came out on 2012. I even had early access version of it. I played 250 hours on NS2 in early-mid 2013 exclusively, also mostly as commander. So please read carefully, before you say "you only played NS1, you don't know about NS2"

4. After long break with NS2, i came back recently, learned the new meta and tech in some rookie servers. I easily won simply every match as commander.

So this means, i didn't get ejected twice because of my skill. It wasn't this typical "No medpack? Eject!" kind of story at all, lads. It is about stupid attitude and prejudice of those "newer" oldbies who think that they are good veterans and allowed to eject everyone who they don't know, within 20 secs, even before the commander does something at all.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a counter point, the other day I had a marine commander we could not eject. It was a russian rookie who did not speak any english. He gave no meds and no ammo. He had some odd build order where he did sentries and armories but no upgrades. We were losing and we just could not seem to eject him. It goes both ways.
    @MisterYoon

I don't think there was any confusion... You admitted to making a mistake the first time, then you were lagged the second time..

Can you honestly say you wouldn't vote to eject if your comm messed up in one game, then seemed to be afk or lagging out in the next game?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Gotta let it roll off your back, mang.

It's really not that big of a deal, you shouldn't let it get to you or prevent you from comming again.
    As much as I've commanded over the years, and taught probably hundreds and hundreds of players how to, either in person (PAX events) or in game.. I still occasionally make mistakes.

The other day no one would command and I said the only way I would was if they were okay with a crazy strategy.
    I rushed exos.. everything was going swimmingly (A3 Exos pressuring their hive at 13 min) and we were clearly winning... until I got baited into jumping out of the chair (obs showed only one red dot on the obs, doing very little damage so i assumed skulk) - it was a fade that killed me, and then once I was dead 4 gorges came into base bile bombing.

We lost.. when we really shouldn't have. I knew better, but got baited anyways, and all I could do was apologize to my team. *shrug*
    edited September 2016
    @MisterYoon

I don't think there was any confusion... You admitted to making a mistake the first time, then you were lagged the second time..

Can you honestly say you wouldn't vote to eject if your comm messed up in one game, then seemed to be afk or lagging out in the next game?

Putting armory instead of Armslab in the base is a "messed up"? Some players are really getting odd. Firstly, it is not that bad thing to have on the beginning, secondly, i just recycled it right after everyone whined about it. Just 2 resources wasted. Is it a "Messed Up"? Seriously?

That kind of attitude makes many new players leave the game. Firstly, anyone who would like to command will lose interest to play as commander. Then there will be no more commander ingame which means game doesn't start / play well at all. (AI seems good but never enough)

Just support commander, lads, instead of whining and ejecting in 20 secs without any proper reason. If you think that a commander should get ejected in the beginning because of 2 resources wasted, you all should quit playing game as soon as you get killed by enemy 2 times in a row. This is what i want to say. Help them, not whining towards to them and ejecting them.

Me myself getting ejected was actually not a big deal but i was angry because i could instantly imagine all the other matches where actual rookie commanders got/get ejected all the time, just cos of some tiny mistakes and prejudice. You understand what i mean?

This attitude really kills the game. This killed NS1 a lot as well. So be gentle to commanders, unless he has bad attitude and doesn't give fk to anything you ask for.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2016
    MisterYoon wrote: »
    @MisterYoon

Putting armory instead of Armslab in the base is a "messed up"? Some players are really getting odd. Firstly, it is not that bad thing to have on the beginning, secondly, i just recycled it right after everyone whined about it. Just 2 resources wasted. Is it a "Messed Up"? Seriously?

Clearly you're still caught up on it tho. Everyone's really just trying to encourage you to forget about it and move on because your op seems kind of pointless. What did you hope to accomplish with it? Nobody is as surprised as you that you were ejected, everybody thinks it sucks for you, but that's it cuz it's happened to everybody at one point or another. 2 in a row? So what? Has it happened again? That's just how ppl work in an online multiplayer game, I've done it too:

Comm makes a mistake or is perceived to make a mistake in one round and is ejected hops in again in the very next match. You know what people think? This guy screwed up last round (whether you did or not is irrelevant) , not gonna let him do it again this round. . . *vote eject*

That's as much thought as ppl put into it. Meaning it's nothing to take personally or so much that it drives you to want to quit the game. It's nothing. Let it go :)

Edit: i can see you've added more since i began this reply. New approach is that you think ejecting deters rookies?

Well do any steam reviews say something like "i stopped playing because i got ejected as commander" or "my feelings got hurt a lot"? In asking honestly, i don't know, but i highly doubt it based on the word cloud of steam reviews @nordic compiled a cpl weejs ago.

Also when i was a rook i got ejected a few times, didn't quit. Still get eject votes as a vet on infrequent occasions. I think the rookie thing is a weak argument, but... never know i guess.
    edited September 2016
    Then i just got confused with key binding(which is my fault, yes), and dropped armory instead of arms lab in the base. I immediately said sorry, explained that i got wrong key binding and just told them to move out and play regardlessly. Still, they complained about this tiny mistake massively a lot, as if i did some kind of big crime. And yes, i got ejected within 15 secs, directly.

I was pretty surprised and got a bit angry but i thought i would just ignore and play.

I joined comm chair again to do what i can do. But after the countdown, right on the beginning of the round, the game was frozen like for 7 secs on my screen. Everything disappeared and frozen while i was spamming X to drop arms lab not to make these arrogant idiotics angry again.

I seriously doubt you got ejected simply for dropping an armory in base first. It's possible, but unlikely. Chances are you made other mistakes (like maybe dropping an arms lab, or recycling the armory) or you got defensive/hostile when they complained... It's one thing to say in an apologetic tone "sorry guys wrong key binding, move out" and another entirely to yell in a defensive tone "sorry I just hit the wrong key, shut up and get out of base"

Also regardless of whether their first ejection was justified or not.. The second one was justified because you yourself admit you were lagging out.

I command from time to time, and I couldn't even begin to count how many times people have raged at me (and ejected me) because I wasn't doing everything perfectly enough... I just say **** em and move on...

And honestly sometimes you can't win no matter what you do..
    Get weapons 1 first = You're bad for not getting armor 1 first.. armor more important than weapons
    Get armor 1 first = You're bad for not getting weapons 1 first.. weapons more important than armor
    Get hand grenades = You're bad for wasting res on useless hand nades
    Don't get hand grenades = You're bad for not getting OP hand nades

In the end you just need to not care as much what they think.. If they eject you just say "ok whatever, your loss" and if they complain just jump out and say "fine you do better" and don't let it worry you.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    I suppose in a scenario where the entire team can consistently have twice or three times the above average accuracy, weapons first might have an edge over armor.

Though in most games you'll want to give your players all the padding they can get.
    Get armor 1 first = You're bad for not getting weapons 1 first.. weapons more important than armor

Wait, what? Who actually says that?

I see people get upset over me going W1 before A1. It has been this way for well over a year now. I have not seen W1 first be a common or desired strat in years now.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Wait, what? Who actually says that?

I see people get upset over me going W1 before A1. It has been this way for well over a year now. I have not seen W1 first be a common or desired strat in years now.

Yes. And I would be upset with you, too. Being able to take that parasite is really crucial early game.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    When I do go W1 first I often say over the mic "Because I believe in you guys"
    edited September 2016
    2cough wrote: »
    @MisterYoon

Comm makes a mistake or is perceived to make a mistake in one round and is ejected hops in again in the very next match. You know what people think? This guy screwed up last round (whether you did or not is irrelevant) , not gonna let him do it again this round. . . *vote eject*

That's as much thought as ppl put into it. Meaning it's nothing to take personally or so much that it drives you to want to quit the game. It's nothing. Let it go :)

You got the exact point thx. I was upset and wrote the thread a bit inaccurately. But that is what i want to say. Wasting 2 res on the beginning is NEVER EVER a "screwed up". But people think it is because their minds are screwed up. More problem is, most of people who whine against commander cannot even command.. that is what made me angry a lot at the moment.

Btw. the first game where i got ejected because i dropped armory by mistake and recycled it, ended within 2 minutes because Alien had no commander at all. Alien had no commander so they lost, marine was unthankful and acting like asssholes to volunteering commander. There were hell lot of community-based problems within this 2 minutes of matches. That nobody wants to command has been the biggest problem of Natural Selection franchise(i am sure i spent hundreds of hours to wait for game to start, as nobody could or wanted to command. This is also the main reason why i played as commander so many times.) And for me this is why they should be thankful to anyone who gladly play as commander, especially with voice chat communication.

So for me, ejecting "him"(on this case, me) within 15 secs is completely wrong. They can ask him politely if somebody else, who is also a good commander, could command instead of him. But whining and ejecting is really wrong. Imagine that this happened to a actual rookie, he would quit playing instantly, because, as i said, even i did lose all the interests instantly to command again then..

And yes, you got that right that i don't need to quit because of this, but as i said, i really lost all my interest to play NS2 on that moment. That was kinda serious for me because NS is the game that i have played for longest period of time. And is for me the best game among with Day of Defeat (HL1) and Company of Heroes 1 :smile:
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2016
    amoral wrote: »
    So you got ejected twice and that's grounds to quit the game and vomit?

Pro tip: don't let the Internet get to you that much. I feel like that should go without saying. I'd say you need to develop thick skin, but i think even thin skin would be a good place to start for you.

Edit: for the record, everybody gets ejected. Whether by trolls or ppl who dont recognize you or whatever, it happens all the time. After literally thousands of hours and matches played, one ejection is a drop in the ocean. It's really not a big deal, just move on to the next.

i remember a game a long time ago, we ejected every comm until finallly there was literally nobody that could get into the chair... but yeah, it was amusing.

each comm lasted about 30 seconds. until we realized that there was someone in the chair, then we ejected.

i think we were in a trollie mood that game.

A prime example of the stupid sh*t that happens on the internet. Grown men acting like children.

Ah, but surely you see how its your fault?
    So you got ejected twice and that's grounds to quit the game and vomit?

Pro tip: don't let the Internet get to you that much. I feel like that should go without saying. I'd say you need to develop thick skin, but i think even thin skin would be a good place to start for you.

Edit: for the record, everybody gets ejected. Whether by trolls or ppl who dont recognize you or whatever, it happens all the time. After literally thousands of hours and matches played, one ejection is a drop in the ocean. It's really not a big deal, just move on to the next.

I think his point is that its really easy to get ejected. How often does the pregame drag on for up to 10 minutes because no one wants to comm? If that isn't evidence of this I do not know what is. People probably don't want to comm because the expectations are not reasonable.

Also there is no need to act up, no one is impressed.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    If you get ejected, DO NOT get in the chair the next round. People have short memory but not that short, the last thing you should do is reinforce it by reminding them.

Give it a round or 2 and try again, in the mean time get some kills and show your not a total scrub... then after the server is bitching about whoever f*%*^d and lost the last game, feel free to jump in.