2nd Day Playing

Summerbear5Summerbear5 Join Date: 2016-09-20 Member: 222442Members
So I've only been playing a couple days, I've watched only a handful of YouTube videos. However I'm having a hard time finding the Multipurpose room fragments. I've searched different crash sites, swam all the way to some island and explored it the best I could. Still couldn't find it. I also have a lot of debris floating above the water in the sky. Wasn't sure if that was aware and a fix in progress. A few debris areas that I was able to find there was nothing to really scan. No fragments. Only metal to pick up. Was hoping to find the mobile thingy so I could build vehicles. I'm probably going to watch some more YouTube videos...but does anyone know how I can at least find the multipurpose room fragments? I'm really running out of space and would really like to build my own base. I feel like I can't advanced further without it.

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Welcome. This is what the Wiki is for really.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Multipurpose_Room

You have to scan the room itself (in abandoned bases) not fragments.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can scan the room itself at an abandoned base, but you can also find it as fragments.
  • Summerbear5Summerbear5 Join Date: 2016-09-20 Member: 222442Members
    Welcome. This is what the Wiki is for really.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Multipurpose_Room

You have to scan the room itself (in abandoned bases) not fragments.

Yes I read the Wiki before. As I stated I've only been playing a couple days therefore I know it says to scan this that and the other...but I have no idea where to look. I have no idea where abandon bases are...I know the green area and the red grass area and the spawn area lol.
    I did go into the live chat and was able to get some more information. Thank you for responding.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    Hi, OP!

I'm also very new to this game so I know how you feel. Still scrambling to stay fed and watered, let alone exploring.

My friend told me to swim south (direction Aurora thrusters are pointing). There's a place called Floating Island. On it are three abandoned bases. You can scan a ton of valuable base building things there, including the multipurpose.
  • LysaLysa UK Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222420Members
    Hi Kaybe, I'm also new having played just 2 days and that info is going to be a great help. thank you :)
  • Summerbear5Summerbear5 Join Date: 2016-09-20 Member: 222442Members
    Thank you so much Kaybe =)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Hello all of you newcomers!

As a fellow community member that is a veteran of this game i have one very simple suggestion for you. Take your time, dont rush things, it will immensely add to a positive gameplay experience :smiley:

I know youre reading all sorts of cool stuff about the game and want to see it all in just a few days but believe me its much better to go out there blindly and discorver things by yourself. It adds alot to the sentiment of cool'ness when you come across beautiful places and its much more rewarding to find new cool tech by yourself when you hav'nt looked up the location beforehand on the net :wink:

Its a big world but its not that big once you know where everything is! Just dont forget to look in every lil cranny spot you come across and you'll come across everything eventually :smiley:
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    You missed it because it is a little buggy.

You went to the island. Right place to get this scan done. You can scan the rusty Multipurpose room by the fruit trees and planter that has the desk, a crab, and the wall panel with leaves on it. This gives you the Multi purpose room.

This is slightly buggy as some angles that you hold the scanner do not show the Scan graphic on this object.
  • CryleveCryleve U.S Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219723Members
    Oh no not again. :neutral: Since the game updated I need a bit of help getting started again!
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Also, the floating island has FOUR different edible plants on it. Get the indoor planter (or pots, mostly for Lantern) and you can grow very decent amounts of food. Potato for food, melon for water, and 2 others. One requires a knife, melon requires a knife to get seeds, but fruit and potato just give delicious food.
    The problem unfortunately with blind playing this game the first time is that it's incredibly unforgiving of newbies in Survivor mode. If you don't know what you're doing and where you're going, you will be spending most of your time in the first days of play just scrambling to get food and water. The stillsuit requires hard to find fragments. The Alien Containment now requires fragments found in a wreck around 200m below the surface in the radiation zone, so forget breeding your food. I still haven't found the Water Filtration.

What you DO get access to early on, from the lifepod 17 wreck and safe shoals, is the battery charger, seamoth, mobile vehicle bay, bioreactor, solar panels, seaglide. All of those are incredibly good to have, but still depend on spending a good chunk of time trying to find loads of copper and silver and running from Stalkers and Sandsharks. While still scrambling for food and water. And of course, that depends on players even realizing those fragments are there in the first place. I actually missed a couple on my first pass around that wreck.

My recommendation to devs: Change some of the early blueprints around so that the Stillsuit or Water Filtration, or other fabricated items that provide for food and water are found early on. We don't need the bioreactor right away as we're close to the surface where solar panels work fine. Let the player stop constantly and desperately worrying about food and water so they can get to the exploration part which is really the main reason to play this. Otherwise, if you want to keep things as they are, then maybe slow down how quickly you get hungry and thirsty.

My recommendation to newbs: If you want to blind play, then start a game in Explorer mode rather than Survival. Get a feel for the game and find out where things are. I started in Survival myself and felt frustrated until I started Youtubeing and Wiki-ing the hell out of everything ;)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Kaybe wrote: »
    The problem unfortunately with blind playing this game the first time is that it's incredibly unforgiving of newbies in Survivor mode. If you don't know what you're doing and where you're going, you will be spending most of your time in the first days of play just scrambling to get food and water. The stillsuit requires hard to find fragments. The Alien Containment now requires fragments found in a wreck around 200m below the surface in the radiation zone, so forget breeding your food. I still haven't found the Water Filtration.

What you DO get access to early on, from the lifepod 17 wreck and safe shoals, is the battery charger, seamoth, mobile vehicle bay, bioreactor, solar panels, seaglide. All of those are incredibly good to have, but still depend on spending a good chunk of time trying to find loads of copper and silver and running from Stalkers and Sandsharks. While still scrambling for food and water. And of course, that depends on players even realizing those fragments are there in the first place. I actually missed a couple on my first pass around that wreck.

My recommendation to devs: Change some of the early blueprints around so that the Stillsuit or Water Filtration, or other fabricated items that provide for food and water are found early on. We don't need the bioreactor right away as we're close to the surface where solar panels work fine. Let the player stop constantly and desperately worrying about food and water so they can get to the exploration part which is really the main reason to play this. Otherwise, if you want to keep things as they are, then maybe slow down how quickly you get hungry and thirsty.

My recommendation to newbs: If you want to blind play, then start a game in Explorer mode rather than Survival. Get a feel for the game and find out where things are. I started in Survival myself and felt frustrated until I started Youtubeing and Wiki-ing the hell out of everything ;)

There's definitely some tweaking left to be done. One help would be if you could sit in the lifepod's chair so food/water doesn't decrease and you aren't forced out at night when you're still vulnerable. It'd also give newbies a chance to recollect and read up on what they've scanned.

However, the alien containment is not only in the radiation zone. It's also way off in the West through 100% safe biomes. The only thing keeping you from fetching it is the discouragingly long trip, but that's part of exploring. And if you go there, you'll also find the stillsuit and likely come across filtration fragments too. All you need is the Seamoth. So pretend you're Sun Wukong and get going.

Not to mention, the filtration machine is useless without the mp room, which right now requires roughly as much work to find, if not more, as the filtration machine. I'm a tad confused water management would be a problem though. Once you've got the knife, +40 bottles are very easy to make and filtration bottles are only 25% better than that. If we're taking manifacturing time into account +40 bottles are arguably superior to +50 bottles.
    Yes, but the +50 bottles are automated and are crafted while you're doing something else. And that's my point ... in the early game, looking for food and water is a significant time sink. Having a stillsuit, Alien Containment, and/or Water Filtration means it can be crafted in the background while you're spending your time exploring and mining silver and copper. Plus, if you have enough raw materials for both the filtration system and solar panels, you can have an MP room absolutely loaded with filters.

Although good point on the multipurpose room. The fish tank and filter both require it, and I would never have known where to find the multipurpose room without my friend telling me about Floating Island, although the comm does tell you about it fairly early. Assuming you remember as it's not saved as an inventory comm like lifepods ones are.

But the stillsuit *really* should be available early on as it cuts your water dependency by a reasonable amount.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    The problem unfortunately with blind playing this game the first time is that it's incredibly unforgiving of newbies in Survivor mode.

Then don't do that.

• LysaLysa UK Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222420Members
    My take? The problem is the speed of day/night cycle. A normal 'real' day you would expect to eat 3 meals. Spend a few hours in game and several days have gone by in that time. Just think how many means that would be, and all in the space of a few hrs game play. If the days were longer there would be slower progress in hunger and thirst and therefore less pressure to spend all your time catching fish.

I really want to play the full experience of survivor mode but I am older than many and my reflexes are not so good so the darn fish are too fast and unpredictable. To the point where I'm considering going for freedom mode instead and thereby spoiling the experience as I love the idea of self-sufficiency with growbeds etc.

So I really love this game but it is extremely frustrating too. I just can't believe I have only had the game since Saturday, feels like I've been living it for weeks (steam says 42 hrs game time)
    Longer days, perhaps ... but that would mean longer nights too ;)
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Longer days, perhaps ... but that would mean longer nights too ;)

A binary star system could easily have more daylight hours than night. Of course, binary stars make life pretty impossible, too.

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    The problem unfortunately with blind playing this game the first time is that it's incredibly unforgiving of newbies in Survivor mode

ejsbpf8ykedk.jpg
    My recommendation to newbs: If you want to blind play, then start a game in Explorer mode rather than Survival. Get a feel for the game and find out where things are. )

... So that everything is spoiled for you by the time you play properly? I think the only way to play a game, especially the first time, is as the game is "meant to be played".
    JC.jpg 124.5K
    Except that currently, the game 'as is meant to be played' is a desperate constant struggle for resources. Food, Thirst, Battery, and now Power Cell (as of this update) usage is scary high. I'm all for survival games (I play Minecraft exclusively in survival), but a good balance needs to be sought.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Except that currently, the game 'as is meant to be played' is a desperate constant struggle for resources. Food, Thirst, Battery, and now Power Cell (as of this update) usage is scary high. I'm all for survival games (I play Minecraft exclusively in survival), but a good balance needs to be sought.

Minecraft is a survival game on a technicality. If that's the kind of experience you're looking for, just play in Freedom mode.
    I'm not trying to be a dick here and argue just for the sake of it, but I think most people would strongly disagree that it's a "constant struggle" for anything. Water has always been a bit of a problem, because farming salt and coral is just a chore, but I wouldn't call putting time in (grinding, essentially) a struggle. And as for food there's literally thousands of meals swimming around everywhere you go.

I do happen to agree that it would be great if we didn't have to do these chores quite so frequently, though.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I did not have much of a problem as a newbie on survival back before things respawned. Now its much easier to survive. There is something of a limit on harvesting since coral still can't be grown (both common coral for bleach and table coral for computer chips) but basic survival isn't difficult once you figure out how to make food and what fish net the biggest return in the starting area.

Just my two cents. Some people struggle more than others I guess.

I support a longer day/night cycle provided the beds allow you to speed through the night as an option.
    edited September 2016
    Agreed on the beds idea. Given it's a single player game, it would be a good idea.

Overall, my concern is the difficulty involved for new players. Once you have a good feel for the game, and have gained enough blueprints and materials to become totally self-sufficient, you can start to relax and get about exploring at will. But for the new player, discovering all these new things to craft and try out, the experience is sour because they may not even be aware of upgrades and fabricated base add-ons that will help in the later game. The game doesn't do a great job of showing you how things work and where the goodies are. You have to figure it out, and fast. Some of us have friends who play. Or we're cool with being spoiled by checking out Youtube or the Wiki.

Think about it. New player gets excited because he suddenly has the plans for a Seaglide, scattered throughout the newbie area. Then he discovers that it costs him one copper and two shrooms for every *two minutes* of usage. This is before he gets the charging station of course. He finds the experience frustrating as it may take him a minute or two to even find that piece of copper (and climbing ... fish respawn, but resources don't). He puts it away and stops using it and goes back to swimming slowly again. New player then finds plans for Seamoth a day or two later... yay! Then discovers that it costs him two copper, four acid shrooms, and two creepvine seed clusters for one power cell ... for every five minutes he uses the little submersible (welcome to today's update!).

And through all that, he STILL needs to scrounge for food and water.

I get that some of you may really be into this very grindy kind of survival game where you spend more time collecting mats to keep playing than actually exploring. But the vast majority of folks out there aren't. And you're right that Survival Minecraft isn't that difficult. But MC and this game are at the two extremes and a good balance needs to be found that mixes the stay alive grind with the fun exploration side of things. No one's asking for Creative/Freedom. We just want to spend more time exploring and getting eaten by Reapers than pecking at limestone rocks, grabbing salt, and chasing fish all night.

Seriously, If it wasn't for the fact that the internet told me exactly where to find that power cell charger tonight, I might have rage quit after discovering my shiny new Seamoth haemorrhaging energy like a hemophiliac. And I'm really digging this game. That's not cool, man.

Try a little experiment if you'd like: Park your Seamoth outside your moon pool. Don't bring it in at all. Put a fresh power cell in it, and carry two more on your person. Play for the rest of the night using only that and whatever new cells you craft with copper you find tonight only. Make sure to unequip all your upgrades too. Have fun. Feel free to use your Cyclops or PRAWN suit using the same rules if you wish.

LATER EDIT: Appears to be tied to the new bug (please be a bug and not a feature!) where oxygen consumption burns through vehicle and base energy reserves (not positive on the latter, though) at a fairly frequent pace. If that's the case, the Seamoth energy issues should go back to normal again once that's dealt with.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    My first time playing the game, the biggest problem with getting food was realising that I could actually catch the fish by hand. Heck, I had already built a seaglide and half a base before I discovered that one. (Water was less of an issue since you can make that with basic fabricator components.)