anyone play overwatch?

amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
trying to see if anyone else has migrated over. by chance have seen a couple ns2 old-timers on, with distinctive names.

if anyone needs any people to play "competitive" with, let me know.

Comments

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I might've migrated to overwatch if it had community run servers with a server browser... But from what I've heard it's matchmaking only, and I've learned my lesson the hard way that matchmaking = unplayable..
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I might've migrated to overwatch if it had community run servers with a server browser... But from what I've heard it's matchmaking only, and I've learned my lesson the hard way that matchmaking = unplayable..

i'd say, the matchmaking is hit or miss for quickplay. ranked has its own issues, but at least people aren't messing around in it.

i also was looking in on this forum even after i stopped playing ns2. so yeah.

regardless, more or less harmless question. I've seen 2-3 people in overwatch quickplay, that i recognized from the ns2 servers, purely on name.

so i was curious to see if there were any ns2 vets had started up overwatch and wanted to rank up in overwatch, because it's a hassle to find a good group.

Absurdon wrote: »
    can u pls take this thread and GTFO of here? thx <3
    ... you know, if this is the quality of the people still left on the forums, i'm not sure if this is what i want.

ugh, just took a look at the playercount... i think this well is dry.
    amoral wrote: »
    ugh, just took a look at the playercount... i think this well is dry.

sooo... to celebrate that fact, you come on the dedicated forum for that game to recruit players for another game. not only that, but also act butthurt after getting called out for it :D

• AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    looks like we could get friends .trixX. :D
    Not really recruit/poach more see if there were people that were in both. But yeah, I didn't think the player base would drop this much after I stopped playing.

And I came here because the base was, when I left, older, dedicated and fun to play with. Eh well.

Regardless, you two weren't really who I was looking for either. Not because of your disposition, that doesn't help, but because I don't recognize your names. Definitely not active when I was I don't think.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I don't quite understand the extreme zealousness I'm seeing here. I play Overwatch... I also play NS2.
  • barniebarnie Join Date: 2016-07-26 Member: 220695Members
    Overwatch? that new Actiblizz shooting game?
    Played the beta, didn't like it.
    Shallow gameplay and overpriced for what it is.
    After all that hype i would have expected something better.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited September 2016
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the extreme zealousness I'm seeing here. I play Overwatch... I also play NS2.

HERETIC!

You're doing it wrong.
    BOW+TO+THE+MIGHT+OF+THE+GREY+KNIGHTS+HERETIC+_966ae12c65335252be934e3bac51436b.jpg

btw, I can't format the image sizes right?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see why people would disagree with the original post. Do they disagree that he saw people from the NS2 community playing overwatch? Or do they not disagree, but click disagree because they don't like what he said?
    hah, the kind of old fogies that don't like changing their names very often apparently.

turts at least, though i think he hasn't been on in a while since season 1, said he was in a group with some of the old upper division players from ns2, but again, not super active. another just the other day.

when i saw turts I was just like... wait a tick, ... ... ... i literally have to ask if it's the BEST FUCKING GORGE i've ever played against :)
    coolitic wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

HERETIC!

You're doing it wrong.
    BOW+TO+THE+MIGHT+OF+THE+GREY+KNIGHTS+HERETIC+_966ae12c65335252be934e3bac51436b.jpg

btw, I can't format the image sizes right?

... why in the hell would you want to format the image size? that's perfect as is.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2016
    Some ns2 teams organize groups in their discords. Might start with the ns2 discord and see if anyone's currently playing or ask there. Definitely more fun when you know you're playing with competent people.

I'm tussio#1758 (i think). You can feel free to add me, even though i think i only played one or 2 pubs with you over the years in ns2. I really don't play often, but I'd join if invited, why not. Think I'm a platinum scrub.

Uhhhhmmm haven't you been campaigning for match making in ns2 for a while now?

For the record, ow works. It's way easier and 100 times faster to get into a decent and fair match in a snap. There is no waiting for 40 min speccing a full server hoping you connect in time after map change to be able to hop on a team, no refreshing the server browser over and over hoping a slot opens. Its quick action. Teams are locked at 6 and balance is pretty much spot on, so really imbalanced matches are rare. If someone drops and a team is at 5, someone new is immediately brought into the match (not for competitive play.

You can set up custom matches very easily and invite your friends or play against bots, so in a way you've got done executive power if you want, would be closest thing to a pub. But there is absolutely no need for community servers in ow, and they'd just be a wrench in the works if they existed. It runs so smoothly without them, and would fuck with the balance that match making creates (kind of the opposite of ns2, ironic to hear that matchmaking is the reason up haven't given it a chance - a pretty stupid reason)

Really though, i also don't get the hostility. A ton of us play multiple games, i think the timing of the breakdown of comp and some communities with ns2 updates months ago when ow was being released just left bitter tastes in the mouths of ns2 purists.

Why can't you play both games? Someone mentioned the price.. $40 is an extremely fair price for a brand new, triple-a title that is full of players, interesting gameplay, and devs who are committed to constantly improving the game, adding new heroes and maps, facilitating competitive play, and truly listen to the feedback the community at large gives.
    2cough wrote: »
    Some ns2 teams organize groups in their discords. Might start with the ns2 discord and see if anyone's currently playing or ask there. Definitely more fun when you know you're playing with competent people.

I'm tussio#1758 (i think). You can feel free to add me, even though i think i only played one or 2 pubs with you over the years in ns2. I really don't play often, but I'd join if invited, why not. Think I'm a platinum scrub.

Uhhhhmmm haven't you been campaigning for match making in ns2 for a while now?

For the record, ow works. It's way easier and 100 times faster to get into a decent and fair match in a snap. There is no waiting for 40 min speccing a full server hoping you connect in time after map change to be able to hop on a team, no refreshing the server browser over and over hoping a slot opens. Its quick action. Teams are locked at 6 and balance is pretty much spot on, so really imbalanced matches are rare. If someone drops and a team is at 5, someone new is immediately brought into the match (not for competitive play.

You can set up custom matches very easily and invite your friends or play against bots, so in a way you've got done executive power if you want, would be closest thing to a pub. But there is absolutely no need for community servers in ow, and they'd just be a wrench in the works if they existed. It runs so smoothly without them, and would fuck with the balance that match making creates (kind of the opposite of ns2, ironic to hear that matchmaking is the reason up haven't given it a chance - a pretty stupid reason)

Really though, i also don't get the hostility. A ton of us play multiple games, i think the timing of the breakdown of comp and some communities with ns2 updates months ago when ow was being released just left bitter tastes in the mouths of ns2 purists.

Why can't you play both games? Someone mentioned the price.. $40 is an extremely fair price for a brand new, triple-a title that is full of players, interesting gameplay, and devs who are committed to constantly improving the game, adding new heroes and maps, facilitating competitive play, and truly listen to the feedback the community at large gives.

oh, you've probably played with me more than you realize, my name was never consistent

think i used amoral a long long time ago, was also faceButt, poop, bibidibobidiboop... and literally whatever else floated my boat that particular instant.

I'm Amoral#1271 I will add you
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It is not a stupid reason to not buy a game because it got matchmaking. Everyone can make his own decision on what is pro and contra. For me no community servers is almost a no go too on PC. But it depends on the genre of course. Besides I think Overwatch does too many things wrong anyway so I do not play it.

But hey, everyone having fun with it should play it.
    edited September 2016
    I will say this, it feels like, if nothing else that there's also hidden MMR for quickplay. So i notice my results increasing when playing quickmatch with less skillful friends, vs when i'm playing quickmatch alone.

the major difference between quickmatch vs ranked is that in ranked people will do more to win. but the teams in either should essentially have similar mechanical skills.

that being said, i think what 2cough was trying to say wasn't that "matchmaking is a stupid reason not to try overwatch"

i think he was saying "matchmaking is a stupid reason not to try overwatch when you've been arguing for matchmaking in NS2"

which... you know... is a pretty fair position if true.

feels similar to that time when i was warning a friend that his toast was too black, and that overly charred food was carcinogenic... and he just gave me a look and pointed out that I smoked... so i stfu and let him eat his toast :)
    I'd dissociated one situation from another and upon being reminded of their similarity, was reminded of my own position.
    edited September 2016
    For the record.. I have never argued or campaigned for matchmaking in any way..

I consider matchmaking to be by far the worst thing ever introduced to online gaming...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2016
    amoral wrote: »
    i think he was saying "matchmaking is a stupid reason not to try overwatch when you've been arguing for matchmaking in NS2"

which... you know... is a pretty fair position if true.

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant. Was posting from phone earlier, hence the typos, was not taking time to explain myself very well.

And yeah, there's definitely an mmr for quick as well as comp play.

Really though my curiosity is piqued as to what the downsides are to having matchmaking a standard in an online, competitive (in the sense that there's 2 opposing teams trying to win w/e) multiplayer game? In my own head, I can only see benefits to it, so please someone explain well what you mean. Keep in mind that you're still able to play with or against your friends very easily if that's your desire over quick or competitive play.
    edited September 2016
    Downsides to matchmaking...

Well they all stem from having no control whatsoever over which game it places you into.

You can't choose to join the lowest ping server
    You can't choose to leave and find a different server (every matchmaking title I've tried throws you back into the same game you just left 99% of the time)
    You can't see who is in a server before joining, so it's much harder to avoid a_hole problematic players.
    No admins of any kind mean no rules for behavior also..

Then there's no customization of any kind.. Like having custom maps on the server, or a server mod, or certain maps removed from rotation..

Then of course there's the waiting for players in lobbies... So much waiting.

It's just an inferior system in every conceivable way..

Oh and let's not forget you can't pick a server based on map either.. So if you hate a popular map good luck not being constantly placed in games running it... I remember in my early days of NS2 I'd simply leave and join another server whenever tram came up, something that is extremely difficult (bordering on the impossible) to do with matchmaking because you have zero control..
  • ReconDKReconDK Sweden Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212797Members

Well they all stem from having no control whatsoever over which game it places you into.

You can't choose to leave and find a different server (every matchmaking title I've tried throws you back into the same game you just left 99% of the time)
    You can't see who is in a server before joining, so it's much harder to avoid a_hole problematic players.

Then there's no customization of any kind.. Like having custom maps on the server, or a server mod, or certain maps removed from rotation..

Oh and let's not forget you can't pick a server based on map either.. So if you hate a popular map good luck not being constantly placed in games running it... I remember in my early days of NS2 I'd simply leave and join another server whenever tram came up, something that is extremely difficult (bordering on the impossible) to do with matchmaking because you have zero control..

If you are talking MM in general I guess some of the points are semi-valid. But in OW Most of those issues are adressed.
    ReconDK wrote: »

If you are talking MM in general I guess some of the points are semi-valid. But in OW Most of those issues are adressed.

connecting from texas.

-never had an issue with latency, except when blizzard is getting ddos-ed.

-at least right now, i've rarely, rarely been placed in the same lobby. more often than not, they can't find another couple players and we all get booted from the lobby even though I kinda wanted to see if we could win in a rematch.

- nope, you can't... never really been an issue.

- can't voice comm with the enemy team anyway so you need to type at them to be rude. and you have to actively choose to join voice comms to hear and speak to your own team... so effectively it defaults to you muting everybody.

- also true

- wait times for me range from 10 seconds on the inside to 2.5 minutes on the outside. with the median probably being in the 30-60 second range. don't know what everybody else's experience is. i was on when blizzard was being ddos-ed. someone said that they were waiting for a ranked match for something like 8 minutes so far.

ranked seems to have a longer wait than quickplay. seems to generally fall in the 60-90 second range for me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Evolve put a really bad taste in my mouth for matchmaking.
    Even if I were to ignore the constant shuffling of players into and out of a lobby, the actual time it takes to get in game is like 5 minutes.

That's stupid. There's no reason for that length of time, especially considering you could be picking whatever perks you want while the map is loading the in background.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2016
    For people that dislike matchmaking, I'd be interested to hear how you feel about the "Play Now" button in NS2. I tried to design its ranking function to be as close as possible to how I manually pick a server to join in the browser. Give it a try next time you join and see if you are satisfied with the result.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    moultano wrote: »
    For people that dislike matchmaking, I'd be interested to hear how you feel about the "Play Now" button in NS2. I tried to design its ranking function to be as close as possible to how I manually pick a server to join in the browser. Give it a try next time you join and see if you are satisfied with the result.

My honest opinion: I believe people who dislike matchmaking are not the audience for the play now button. Especially in NS2 there are only a handful of servers populated at a time, so there really isn't the problem that you would be overwhelmed from all the options you have.

But from avaiable servers there is still a, even if small, decision to make. Play now button doesn't ask what preferences you have so there is not much use for matchmaking haters.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I always check the server browser first. If I don't see anything I specifically want to play on I will go to Play now in hopes it puts me with the more skilled players.
    edited September 2016

I've never ever in my life clicked on that button - not even accidentaly.
    Im a control freak :(
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »

I've never ever in my life clicked on that button - not even accidentaly.
    Im a control freak :(

I clicked it to get that achievement. And that was the end of my very brief relationship with that button.