Subnautica PRAWN Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica PRAWN Update Released - Subnautica

A new update is available on Steam for Subnautica! Presenting: The Pressure Re-Active Waterproof Nano Suit, or PRAWN Suit. Check out the PRAWN Update site to see it in action....

Read the full story here

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The game is getting more and more fantastic and this Prawn suit rocks.

But if this update is build 36618, then I miss the new Prawn info and pic at the main menu which still reads power nap update.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    It still says "August 2016" in the upper right corner. Same thing happened with the machine update. The title screen never got updated for it.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I was hoping it also had a welder attachment, so I can rant about how NS2's exos don't have a welder attachment.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    It still says "August 2016" in the upper right corner. Same thing happened with the machine update. The title screen never got updated for it.

Just an update to this - the title screen showed PRAWN update as of 12:00 today.
  • xReixRei Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221645Members
    Been playing with the PRAWN suit on experimental version since late Sunday.. It's absolutely great. Normally exploring the deeps gives me anxiety in this game, but the PRAWN suit legitimately gives me a feeling of invincibility as the flavour text suggests. xP

I haven't played with all the upgrades and attachments yet but here are some initial thoughts:

Energy consumption rate on it's two power cells feels pretty close to balanced for me. It's definitely faster than the Seamoth which I like. I'd probably like it even a smidge faster personally. I like the idea of the suit(and I feel the same for the Seamoth) being limited on their range in some way, requiring trips back to a nearby base/cyclops a little more frequently than they do now. And yeah, Im probably in the minority on that.. : p

The basic grabby arms are a lot of fun on their own. Punching hostile fauna is great, too. The ability to grab and collect items is useful enough that I almost don't want to give up one of the upgrade slots and lose it.

Drill arm does what it says on the tin. You drill for resources and they fall to the ground. I do have one small complaint though and that is that the drill arm can't seem to collect resources into storage, leaving you to exit the suit and gather them or use the grabby arm.. which would be fine except it means I really do have to leave an arm unupgraded(though I havent had a chance to use propulsion arm yet, maybe it gathers?). But perhaps that is part of the balance they are seeking.

Grapple arm is a lot of fun to use, though it has a bit of a learning curve to it. I will admit that the physics of how the suit moves on the water in relation to the grapple and jumpjets does sometimes feel a little weird and unnatural. I can't honestly tell if it would benefit from more realism in that regard or not. As it stands now it's a great tool for maneuvering around the terrain though, and I've even used it offensively to cling to hostile creatures.

All in all, it's a great tool. I really appreciate that it has a very different feel and style than either of the other two vehicles, so it does stand on it's own. That said, it IS possible to acquire a PRAWN suit really quickly if you know what you are doing. For fun I started a new survival file and bee-lined for getting the PRAWN suit, stopping only to gather the technology and resources I needed to build one. It took me a little over 3 hours, and I expect that could be dramatically trimmed down with some more efficiency included in the run than I demonstrated.

Anyways, nice work! Looking forward to trying some of the other upgrades and features.

(Oh, and the expanded Aurora is great too)
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
  • JonJuan76JonJuan76 Gainesville FL Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221647Members
    Do i need to start a new game to access the updates? I went to a couple of the pod locations and they aren't showing up. I also can't find the access to the engine room now :(
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    JonJuan76 wrote: »
    Do i need to start a new game to access the updates? I went to a couple of the pod locations and they aren't showing up. I also can't find the access to the engine room now :(

The Devs advise us to start a new game whenever a big update happens and this PRAWN Suit update is one of them. You are not required to start a new game but as i have experienced (and so did many others as well) already created game updated to big patches are kinda buggy.

Some new features often dont work as intended, some land can possibly not display properly and so on .... You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to restart a new game to experience the new content to its fullest or keep you current game and possibly have some degree of bug to it with the new update.
  • MatthewdubyaMatthewdubya New Jersey Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213671Members
    edited September 2016
    Can you make a docking station for the cyclops? But also love the expanded Aurora.