The Cyclops's walls and design suuuuuuuuck

RiggedRigged Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222333Members
There's so much I love about this game: The base building, exploration, lack of guns... and I love the Seamoth and Exosuit. But it feels like just about every part of the Cyclops' design is just made to be frustrating.

It's supposed to be a mobile base, but we can't put any kind of power generator in it so we have to constantly make pit stops at actual bases just to resupply (and yes, I know about the power cell charger bug, but it's obviously a bug). The Cyclops's interior is curved, which would be fine, but the way it's designed makes all the wall-mounted buildables weirdly hover in the air, and the only place this doesn't happen is that tiny room behind the bridge area. The entire engine room design is so cramped and curved and has the same wall issues, so it's a crazy mess trying to put anything in it. So I end up sticking everything close to the ceiling. And the most frustratingly-designed upper-deck room is the docking bay entrance; the little ramps eliminate our ability to put anything over a third of the floor and we can't put much on the walls at the open area just outside the engine room because it would block the doors.

The lower deck is even worse; if you stick anything in there at all you're going to have trouble walking through it.

And then there's piloting the darn thing. It didn't use to be an issue because we could just move the Cyclops to the surface high above whatever we want to explore and then deploy the Seamoth, but now that we have the Exosuit we have to keep the Cyclops within a reasonable height above the seabed so that we can thruster up there. And suddenly all the flaws in its exterior design become obvious; The side bits that jut out and the elongated design make it ridiculously easy to collide into things

And the entire lower half of the Cyclops seems to be designed just to stick out. Seriously, what purpose does the valley-shaped bottom serve? The engine, docking bay, bridge and just about everything are all in the upper deck; the lower deck is completely empty and filled with useless space except for the tiny lockers. Seriously, go in and take a look; The docking bay is just made of the doors and completely unusable area, and if the designer just removed the storage lockers (why not put those in the engine room or docking entrance?) the Cyclops would have a much slimmer look and be able to actually fit in some caves, not to mention being able to enter right into the bridge.

Which gives me a headache because if the devs really insist on the Cyclops being so unwieldy, a slightly more spherical or cylindrical design would remove most of the internal building issues and give us more space to really turn it into a proper mobile base!

And this is compounded by the fact that it's so agonizingly slow.

Right now the only reason I use the Cyclops is because it is really impractical to walk or grapple your way to a point with the Exosuit. Which really defeats the purpose because I really WANT to use it as a mobile base, but it's so annoying to!

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Rigged wrote: »
    The Cyclops's interior is curved, which would be fine, but the way it's designed makes all the wall-mounted buildables weirdly hover in the air,

Almost all wall-mounted items do that if you look closely.

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Keep in mind the Cyclops isn't done yet. We barely have any modules for it and with the Seamoth and PRAWN both having recharge modules (sunlight & heat), it is not out of the question the Cyclops would get something like that too, making the "no power generator" point moot. Furthermore, it appears to currently be the plan that the Cyclops's lower half will be the connecting point for a dock. Nothing that can't be adjusted for a redesigned Cyclops, but it adds more purpose to the lower half and further demonstrates your negativity is aimed at an unfinished product.

I disagree with the general design complaints. The Cyclops is a loot gathering vessel, not an exploration vessel. Its shape fits and serves its purpose and I have no doubt that once finished it will have several more perks compared to the other vehicles. Although I have to admit I currently have no experience with docking and undocking the PRAWN because my Cyclops is currently sky decoration and I won't bother making or spawning a new one.

Someone suggested that the devs implement external recharge modules. Something like the current power transmitters you can hook up to an energy source and then park a vehicle nearby (instead of build a base nearby) to recharge the vehicle. That way, we could built our own recharge points to make travel gradually easier if we so choose. I like that idea and it would certainly be an interesting benefit to the Cyclops.
  • RiggedRigged Join Date: 2016-09-15 Member: 222333Members
    Perhaps it's incomplete, but there isn't much on Trello about changes to the Cyclops.

I am not trying to use it as an exploration vessel. I am merely compelled to use it as a mobile dock, because I have to use it to bring the darn Exosuit where it needs to go. This means places like the Deep Grand Reef. And you have to keep it close enough to the sea floor so you can jump back into the dock.

What I want to use it for is its supposed purpose as a mobile base and loot locker, but unless you are willing to stick the floor cabinets right in the middle of room the only place you can put them along the walls is in the antechamber behind the bridge. So you end up having too stick wall lockers that very obviously float in the air.

And the issue with the curved walls is much, much more obvious with the Cyclops mainly because of the huge gap between the walls and the buildables.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    There's seven notes on the Cyclops in the roadmap page, 14 post-PRAWN notes on the development page, and a lot more on the playtesting page. They're not all super clear, whether what kind of changes to expect or when to expect them (and no mention on the wall matter, which I agree should be improved on), but you can tell the Cyclops is a point of focus.

Being without a Cyclops for the time being, I just walk my exosuit wherever I need to go. I don't get the storage benefit of the Cyclops, but I am more mobile and have found no problem getting anywhere as long as I have a grappling arm equipped.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    I love my Cyclops.

I even want a sticker for the rear of it that says the same.
  • drbrianzdrbrianz USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216293Members
    I Love the Cyclops DESIGN
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    edited September 2016
    I agree the design should says it's meant for 3 people but with all my storage needs since it's a base make it ment for 0.3 people Also the cyclops is hard to use when going down because u can't really see down. even with the cameras