Why Pipes and Dive reel are almost useless

PsyclonixPsyclonix Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217880Members
The Pipe and Dive reel items in subnautica are virtually useless as you can find better things to use very quickly.

Pipes are replaces by: Seamoth, Seaglide, Airbladder

Dive reel has no purpose as exploring caves for resources is no different to searching outside or in a volcanic vent thing.

If you disagree, please tell me why becausei have everything in the game and never used these items.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Pipes are currently being reworked by the devs and will play a bigger important role in the game once they make their changes. I think they'll be able to be attached to bases in order to provide oxygen instead of fully relying on power to generate oxygen in a base. As for the dive reel... I have no idea what to add to it. Cause yeah at this point it is sort of useless, most caves can be explored using the seamoth or the PRAWN suit now, though it still serves as a bread crumb trail so you don't get lost.
  • MadeMyDayMadeMyDay Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222267Members
    I must disagree. If i explore a huge wreck, most time i am lost without the dive reel. It's very helpful to find the way out, especially when the night has come.
  • QelsarQelsar Lansdowne, MD Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216536Members
    I agree with @hmciv , a few well placed light sticks make getting out of a night dive easy.
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    The dive reel will be reworked into a grappling hook :)
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    If you have a desire to live dangerously, you can use pipes to build a Reaper trap and lure one into it, then cage it...
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Pipes could be used to transport air int o caves... theoretically.
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    and the point of this is :/ your mostly underwater so that's useless and exploring the island isn't that hard at all
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I think I can still use pipes. Just have to set them up. Even having the Seamoth sometimes doesn't save me from drowning so my dive time inside is limited (I save 60 out of the 135 seconds I have just to swim back to my oxygen source). Setting up the piping would be a pain for really deep wrecks though...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    ech0gh0st wrote: »
    and the point of this is :/ your mostly underwater so that's useless and exploring the island isn't that hard at all

What my interpretation is is that it will work as usual (hook it at the entrance to a cave then follow it back), but you can have it auto-pull you back
  • InkOnTubeInkOnTube Serbia Join Date: 2016-09-27 Member: 222641Members
    I am still new to the game and haven't figured how to use pipes properly but what I saw today on YT makes me think placing them is really tedious work. Instead, last night I decided to try a different "natural" approach when exploring deep caves. I built Exterior Growbed and planted Purple Brain Coral. It was late at night so I had to save and go to sleep. Will check progress today though but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    For me pipes are still pretty much something I make a bunch of at the beginning of the game to fence in my lifepod from drifting and never use the recipe again. If titanium in this game isn't renewable, there's no way no how I'm using it on pipes.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    InkOnTube wrote: »
    I am still new to the game and haven't figured how to use pipes properly but what I saw today on YT makes me think placing them is really tedious work. Instead, last night I decided to try a different "natural" approach when exploring deep caves. I built Exterior Growbed and planted Purple Brain Coral. It was late at night so I had to save and go to sleep. Will check progress today though but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

It does work. @zetachron is a big fan of this method. You'll have to wait for it to grow though.