Bigger world

kay_ziomalekkay_ziomalek ks@daklabor.com Join Date: 2016-09-13 Member: 222292Members
Fisrt : I dont know if this suggestion/idea is already so sorry

This is about that the world could be bigger because some of the concept arts are showing Bigger stronger cyclops.
And actualy almost everyone know the biome places so.....

P.S.
Im bad at English i came from Poland.
And you can see my other idea:
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145102/mods-in-subnautica#latest

Comments

• NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    I think a bigger map would be great, possibly randomly generated, but I doubt it will happen. Maybe as a mod or something, but it won't happen in the game.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    There are more biomes yet to be added (at least two, possibly three), but the world won't become larger than currently planned (ie, there won't be need or room for a larger sub). As much as I want more too, the game has enough trouble being its current size and it's more important that the devs ensure what we get works.
  • kay_ziomalekkay_ziomalek ks@daklabor.com Join Date: 2016-09-13 Member: 222292Members
    yea I know but why I have to play the SN when i know where are the biomes you know what i mean ... so thats why this is a suggestion

The Devs could make that when we make a world we can select if we want a small , medium , large , Giant map (they all always are randomized)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited September 2016
    That would require a lot of new programming the current model does not account for. It is a crafted world with story-relevant locations. You can't just decrease or increase that.

I understand the pressure for a "new" experience each time, but that makes for a severe impediment on the evolution of survival games. Very few games offer a new experience each time and they've still got fans playing and replaying, so why not have a survival game be static in favor of a story for a change?
  • 747snoodles747snoodles United States Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222259Members
    As everyone would love randomly generated that's sadly impossible, unless you want complete replicas of biomes we already have randomly spawned, otherwise one can't capture the beauty of Subnautica and detail with random generation
  • ArtoriusArtorius Indiana USA Join Date: 2016-09-02 Member: 221998Members
    As much as randomly generated maps are cool, I like the map being fixed in design. It allows people to share experiences. I hope that over time they can make the map larger. Maybe a second safe shallows and more kelp forests. I would like to see a large area where the water is at least 500 meters deep. This would allow for larger vehicles in mods or add-ons. What they are building is complex and detailed. But they may eventually be able to add more to the map or even alternative maps/story lines as add-ons. (would add replayablity) But IF they decided to do that, they would need to first finish the current game.

This game lends itself to alternate story lines and different situations. But its all time. Once the game is finished, more can be added. New things can always be added later.

So maybe we will see something in the future. For now the game is unfinished and finishing is the goal.
  • kay_ziomalekkay_ziomalek ks@daklabor.com Join Date: 2016-09-13 Member: 222292Members
    I understand that would be nice :smiley:
    P.S. To that chosing the big world of small medium etc. could be to chose too if we want a history or not
    because them the Devs musnt to work so much (f*** my english -.-)
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited September 2016
    The world itself is huge, if we move far beyond the game area we keep running above a bottomless abyss, i guess that it would make more sense to have a procedurally generated ocean ground...
    Since its Unknown Worlds policy to involve Subnautica users in this universe i can imagine how useful it would be to have a terrain editor that would allow us to craft our own biomes, and maybe the best ones could eventually be submitted and included in the game.
  • AntoninAntonin Montréal Join Date: 2016-05-08 Member: 216529Members
    I think the world could be less deeper and more large.
  • Starovoyovm20Starovoyovm20 141 Granite Drive Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216373Members
    What I'm thinking that they could do is Have the map that is currently in game right now, stay the same later, but Add more area outside that is randomly generated!
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    the only bad thing about that is more lag and the game is all ready lags alot and the game would have to be oped just to make it reasonable amount of lag
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    WSBurns wrote: »
    The world itself is huge, if we move far beyond the game area we keep running above a bottomless abyss, i guess that it would make more sense to have a procedurally generated ocean ground...
    Since its Unknown Worlds policy to involve Subnautica users in this universe i can imagine how useful it would be to have a terrain editor that would allow us to craft our own biomes, and maybe the best ones could eventually be submitted and included in the game.

maybe a work shop thing on the steam community page
    the only bad thing about that is more lag and the game is all ready lags alot and the game would have to be oped just to make it reasonable amount of lag

Not necessary due to content, many games including sandbox games use a LOD system (level of detail) the sandbox is divided in tiles, each tile loads or unloads itself from ram at different levels of detail, depending on player location, also, in an underwater game distant objects can be easily disguised with some sort of "fog" hiding lower LOD objects.

I always wondered why we keep seeing base objects at far distance, i noticed increased lagging when the base objects are in my field of view, meaning that its possible the LOD for base objects hasn't yet been correctly implemented.

Other causes for lagging occur when you travel too fast and LOD objects are loading and unloading from ram, i noticed this when going trough an area where 2 or more tiles try to compete to load in ram.

For example in Fallout 4 and other Bethesda games the LOD system works in radial mode having as reference the player location and already assumes a low LOD for the majority of the map. So you can set in options a radial distance for your LOD suitable for your current hardware.

From what i have seen in subnautica there is no radial distance LOD render that can be set, the tiles load or unload when we are present, and the lagging occurs mostly when you cross an area where 2 or more tiles bind together, you see this when one tile is loaded at full detail and the next one is still loading displaying only low detail.
    Antonin wrote: »
    I think the world could be less deeper and more large.

I like the fact that the world is very deep, i like that sense of awe when i accidentally found the mushroom cave or the blood kelps/deep river and rushing the seamoth pressure compensator upgrades only to be able to travel that deep.
    However we must not forget this is a low budget game, and already pretty damn good as it is, a kick-start project could allow them to go even further adding more content, but i guess we may only see this happening in a game sequel.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    How about a second map?

Have players build a floating barge, dock the Cyclops and both minisubs, grab a bunch of useful material, and head over. Barge serves as a minorly annoying base, because it's stuck on/near the surface. Also, you can have the second area be MUCH less hospitable, perhaps with rough seas, 24/7 rain, and whatever else, as the player is already established.
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    If you look at it like this fallout 4 and farcry 4 have big maps before addons they are around 20 gig's and those maps are huge and thats with all the basics of their game the foundation imagine how much you could do with all that room i asked the devs in the frequently asked questions section how big the game was gonna be no response lol