Optimization Issue and Question

theycallmegunnytheycallmegunny Join Date: 2016-09-09 Member: 222177Members
I've been streaming this game for about 200 hours now, and I've run into an issue that's a little tricky.

The exact issue here is that as I play, my performance quickly drops. I start out perfect. But a little building and I start to notice drops. Once my base is really coming along, I'm getting very severe hits. At one point I even dropped to under 10fps at any map location.

However, I've done a few costreams with another streamer, and while he does not have the performance issues I have here with the same settings, when we stream other games together he has ten times the issues I do. Where my framerate may be lower than his in Subnautica, I'm getting 3-4 times his framerates in every other game, and I run a lot more outside software during streams than he does, so it's really just that a faster computer is having a very specific issue somewhere in this game.

So it's something either specific to my hardware or possibly to my playstyle that's messing up my game so bad..

I would love to continue streaming this game. It's a glorious game. But I have restarted so many times because of the FPS drops, and I just can't justify restart number 11 when I've never gotten to "finish" one of these bases I'd like to build. So if anyone has any tips for me.

My specifications and running environment:

i7-4790k (Stock, have 4.5GHz overclocking preset saved, but don't use it often.)
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB, DDR3 1600MHz (Also have OC preset to 2000MHz and 7-7-7-21 timings, but don't use it often.)
MSI Z87 Motherboard, can grab exact model if needed but memory is sketchy.
GTX 970 4GB (the 3.5+.5 one), EVGA, factory OC.
Headset throws a lot of tiny issues at me that are not audio related, so I'll list that: Logitech G930

Entire system is watercooled except the GPU, but it's always at a very safe temp.

Windows 10. Hate it but too much to reinstall to roll back just yet to W7 without explicit demonstration that it's the cause of some issues.

I stream with OBS and unless it's specific to this game, have no issues. Using X264 encoder, no beta-delay-reduction, 1850kbps +/-400, 30fps, 1280x720 resolution, lanczsos sharpening.
My outside programs running during stream are: Discord or Teamspeak, usually discord. Ankhbot R2, OBS preview is active at a resolution of appx 600 pixels wide, music through Pandora in a browser window, Twitch Dashboard in seperate window, Facerig as an overlay in OBS. My browser of choice is Google Chrome.

I tend to play the game at Maximum, 1080p/60hz. But I've started the last 2 at Recommended. I've even opened Minimum and done tweaks (changing LODdistance to 20 seemed helpful to a point) and it's the same thing. I start my playthrough with flawless framerates, and then after several hours of play, I end up with a noticable hit, and eventually I'm almost a powerpoint presentation (on a playthrough 46 hours long.)

Comments

• MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    edited September 2016
    You could try resetting your world data:

Another thing that helps is to have the game installed on an SSD -- it can spend quite a bit of time loading that terrain data from disk sometimes.

Some activities (like piloting the Cyclops or being anywhere near the Mushroom Forest biome) seem to be naturally laggy at the moment, but otherwise I generally don't have any issues.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    After a while progressing through the game and building things my fps will drops down to 20 and stay there.
  • FryerDevilFryerDevil Austrailia Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220657Members
    Have you got the latest drivers for your GPU? There was a major bug in Subnautica for a lot of Radeon cards which was fixed in an update.

(I don't know much about computers - just thought it might help).
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Funny thing is that I experience this same problem even if I don't build anything.

I could start a new game in creative mode at 45FPS and by the time I've swam to the lava zone I'll be down to 5FPS.