Who is the real bad guy

phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
In the game the player is tasked with freeing the sea emperor because they are infected with the disease known as "Carar" and the only cure is produced by the creature

But to a precursor's point of view the player makes the ultimate d*** move and destroys what might be a lifetimes worth of work to save 5 sea emperors and themselves from death. The reason they needed to capture the sea emperor was to save an entire highly advanced species from extinction because (according to the data download for the bacterial infection) it has cause the life's of 143 billion precursors which would show they have an empire because since the earth only has about 7 billion people i don't think that amount of people living on a single planet wouldn't leave only 1 structure on the surface. so if the player didn't show up and release their sea emperor the precursors might of found a way to replicate the enzyme used as the cure and save their whole friggin empire from carar instead of harvesting emperors instead release them back into the wild.

Conclusion: the player basicly destroyed an entire laboratory used to cure space AIDS because some lab mice were used during research.

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited September 2016
    If the virus is only isolated to the one planet then I am assuming that very high number of casualties is not just referring to their species. They were likely monitoring all life on the planet, and that number is the total casualties of themselves and the organisms that inhabit their world.

If it is not that then I find it unlikely they would have an empire within our galaxy, since by the lore of the game, humans have explored a lot of the galaxy and would have probably run into them already. So maybe they came from somewhere else?

It could also be that the virus has already escaped and they are monitoring the damage to the galaxy somehow. If it is the Kharaa from NS2 and Subnautica is not a prequel then maybe those casualties are the damage that can be seen in NS2.

Though I do believe that the precursors do likely have more planets they inhabit since their activity on 4546B seems to only be around scientific and military fields, no civilian habitats have been found. Though that could be that, since we are likely near the north pole due to the temperature and the way the moon revolves around the planet, so they could have cities elsewhere on the planet that won't be found in game, and activities on our poles do tend to be scientific or military based here on earth.

Either way, that number is intriguing and I am sure we will find out more
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    where are you guys finding this specific information these days? trello or the wiki?

I thought most of this was under wraps still? but I'm really excited for anything that ties in SN to Natural Selection 2

but to stay on topic, I think we are the bad guy, after all we fix a giant radiation leak to just turn around and build our own personal reactors and toss the rods back into the ocean when were done haha
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I'd love to see the devs not actualy leaving any trace of dead precursors except for strange teeth on the ground much like sharks. Since shark bones are more biological than other animals only their teeth are left behind as fossils and in corpses.

I think this would be good to further show the "mysterious-ness" of the race by not showing any depiction of what they look like and leave it up to the player to actualy think and use their imagination.

P.S I'm tired of calling the precursors by that name please can we think of a new one so I won't feel stupid when I say that the precursors should have more humanity (or precursority) to make the player question who was in the right or wrong.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    @ComicalSkate, Maybe their cities are located at the bottom of the void! But, if the precursors were trying to cure the virus just by harvesting something than why did ALL of them DIE?! Wouldnt they give the cure to a group so they can continue the project if the others die. And whats this 'We just technically killed an alien race' stuff that @phantomfinch was talking about. By the time the game co-menses it seems that all the precursors have already died of! Sorry if it sound like im hating, cause im not. Im stating the facts.