Glass roof

sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
Are there going to be glass roofs in the game. I recall they were in the multipurpose rooms picture. It would be so cool for my greenhouse part of my base to have these domes.
b4cwhf2zgpus.jpg

Comments

• yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    That's very cool! Where did you find this?
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    yomama wrote: »
    That's very cool! Where did you find this?
    from subnautica wiki

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Would be interesting to limit plant growth to MP Room with a glass dome and Observatories. And make it depth dependent.
  • BENSKIBENSKI Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221063Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    limit plant growth to MP Room with a glass dome and Observatories. And make it depth dependent.

Rather than limit entirely, a better approach would be to make plants grow less effectively/slower inside bases than they would otherwise outside ... but MORE effectively/faster (perhaps even exceeding the normal growth rate) in rooms with windows, glass domes and in observatories when sunlight is available.

This would eliminate the current loophole which enables you to power a base using a bioreactor fuelled by plant matter at depths where there is no sunlight by making the consumption of power faster than the rate of biomass production.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    BENSKI wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    limit plant growth to MP Room with a glass dome and Observatories. And make it depth dependent.

This would eliminate the current loophole which enables you to power a base using a bioreactor fuelled by plant matter at depths where there is no sunlight by making the consumption of power faster than the rate of biomass production.

Not entirely a loophole. Artificial lights can give off the same wavelengths that light from a star gives off and can be equal as far as the plant is concerned (especially given the level of tech in the game, it probably is fully equal to sunlight instead of a peg down like rl plant lights)

That said I would absolutely love this as a mechanic and being able to craft things that way. I love the sunroof design and making the equivalent of a larger observatory. But then, where does this leave the observatory? What purpose does it give that a multipurpose room does not? I imagine the only advantage the observatory may have is cost, especially if the glass roof for an mp room requires stalker teeth in its construction + cost of mp room + all the glass for the windows.

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I would love this to be a thing.
    Ralij wrote: »
    Not entirely a loophole. Artificial lights can give off the same wavelengths that light from a star gives off

The issue is where the energy for the base comes from.

If there is no sunlight and all the energy for plant growth is coming from artificial lighting powered by a bioreactor, which itself is fuelled by plant matter, then the implication is that plant matter produces more energy than its growth was able to utilise ... which sounds like a loophole to me.

Additionally, I think the aesthetic appeal of the observatory still makes it relevant even if a glass-dome MPR ultimately is given the same functionality. If someone wanted to keep the size of their base small but also boost plant growth (if this feature was added) then an observatory would still prove useful.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I don't care about any sort of limit for the glass roof as I'm sure the only thing they'll have at the beginning is base strength (which might be -12 if use the same variable of all the walls combined, maybe add another 4 for the sake of it), I would just love the option to have it and use it.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Not entirely a loophole. Artificial lights can give off the same wavelengths that light from a star gives off

The issue is where the energy for the base comes from.

If there is no sunlight and all the energy for plant growth is coming from artificial lighting powered by a bioreactor, which itself is fuelled by plant matter, then the implication is that plant matter produces more energy than its growth was able to utilise ... which sounds like a loophole to me.

Additionally, I think the aesthetic appeal of the observatory still makes it relevant even if a glass-dome MPR ultimately is given the same functionality. If someone wanted to keep the size of their base small but also boost plant growth (if this feature was added) then an observatory would still prove useful.

Ah, gotcha. I misunderstood. You're right about that, there should be an energy loss there somewhere.

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members

I made an entire thread about that before and people threw a fit. :)

Well that didn't take long ...

The very reason why we are discussing what potential mechanics this new addition might bring to the game is to ensure that it doesn't end up being redundant in the first place ...

... or worse, making already existing inconsistencies which undermine immersion (like plant growth without sunlight) even more obvious.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need actual sunlight to grow plants. You just need special lamps that imitate it. And who's to say we don't have such special lamps already installed by default in our habitat modules?

We don't have much variety in our base modules, especially if you consider that habitat building is a large and important part of Subnautica experience. For example, we could use a small room with the ability to place a bed or desk in, we could use more building angles for the corridors... and so we could definitely use a version of the multi room with a glass roof. I think what Victor32 and others mean is - again, I can be wrong - that we'd just like to have more options without piling up a lot of extra work on the devs, because the more complicated an idea, the less probability it will make into the game before 1.0 and even after. They've already ditched the idea of plants providing O2 for the base because it was too much work, so I'm guessing coding plant growth/sunlight dependency would be equally time and resources consuming.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    It looks awesome and would work great! I would love having a see through roof in my bedroom so I could watch the fish swim by as I go to sleep.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need actual sunlight to grow plants.

Nobody is saying that you should only be able to grow plants in sunlight. What is being proposed is that the glass dome (and windows and observatories) should increase plant growth rates when sunlight is available (as a function of depth). This would give these base components functionality, instead of them just being decoration.

Habitat building/management is a huge part of Subnautica, but several aspects do need improvement. Adding new base components which introduce novel functionality could help to address some of these issues.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    the more complicated an idea, the less probability it will make into the game before 1.0 and even after.

Maybe ... but I don't think that means we shouldn't discuss these issues. The game is in early access because the developers want our feedback and suggestions, and I am sure that most of us would prefer Subnautica to be more functionally polished and immersive in its 1.0 form (not just a prettier version of the experimental mode) ... even if this means delaying the release.
  • Dj0219Dj0219 Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217102Members
    sabin77 wrote: »
    Are there going to be glass roofs in the game. I recall they were in the multipurpose rooms picture. It would be so cool for my greenhouse part of my base to have these domes.
    b4cwhf2zgpus.jpg

This will be great for my plants
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    The pictures also show glass floors, is that going to be a thing?
    The glass floor would be interesting tooo, imagine if you would having the floor look down at the grand reef or the lava zone looking down at the live moving around under your feet. It would be so cool.
  • logician93logician93 Netherlands Join Date: 2016-08-31 Member: 221931Members
    That would actually be awesome, lately while expanding my bases i notice all the multipurpose rooms look a bit bland when there's a bunch of them hooked together, being able to give some of them a glass roof or floor would really help make it more aesthetically pleasing imo
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Thing is... once you've added eight glass walls, a glass roof and a glass floor you've just made the observation room completely redundant.

Considering that you need five enameled glass to build the observation room (i.e. it's a PITA), this creates a bit of a problem unless you want to give people some other reason for building it.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Glass on the MP room doesn't make the observatory obsolete. It inherently is a fancy extra so it doesn't need a purpose. I like to attach one to my offices (which are also largely useless but a fun dressup for the base nonetheless) as if "business person me" could take a quick break from paperwork to enjoy some soothing tunes. It's also lovely to use as bedroom (yes, a wide bed fits), especially if you've built it somewhere dangerous.

It's only three pieces of enameled glass for the observatory, btw. That's six pieces of quartz and three teeth which are a lot easier to collect now that we've got the PRAWN. Meanwhile, a fully windowed MP room would cost six pieces of titanium by default, about 14 pieces of quartz for the walls + whatever is needed to make an entrance, and then another 4 pieces of quartz for the ceiling and floor in the cheapest scenario.
  • TetrapodTetrapod Wastelands of California Join Date: 2016-08-04 Member: 220973Members
    It looks awesome and would work great! I would love having a see through roof in my bedroom so I could watch the fish swim by as I go to sleep.

Or freak you out if the shadow of a reaper blots out the light.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    I use the observation room as my green house, fits perfectly for what I need... seen lots of people use it for other things as stated above so I don't think it would render it obsolete. If anything, it adds variety.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Having a glass dome for the top of the MP room would be awesomesauce. Even if it cost enameled glass to build or something.
    I hope the domes are going to be in the game.
This discussion has been closed.