So building a base in the Lava Zones is a tricky proposition?

LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
So I'm watching IGP (Indie Game Promoter)'s latest Subnautica video...

Now I'm guessing we can't build a base down there without being fried to death? I know that the PRAWN suit is supposed to eventually protect you down there, and I thought a base would fulfill the same function. According to the video apparently not... it's just too hot down there?

Comments

• Midnight_TeaMidnight_Tea Join Date: 2016-08-27 Member: 221790Members
    I'd imagine the real hazard are mynocks lava larvae who attach themselves to structures and drain their power.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I feel like there should be a way to build down there, it should just be really hard. Reinforcement upgrades can be upgraded to keep Mynocks off (I know they're not called Mynocks but that's what I'm calling them forever now) you have another reinforcement style thing that you can put on your base to keep it cool, maybe air conditioning too. Building a base shouldn't be easy down there in my opinion, just very hard.
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    You can now build in there, apparently you weren't suppose to be burning when you're inside exosuit, cyclops, and seabase... they fixed it the next day of IGP's video.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    ILZ is still being worked on, this is the part of the game you shouldnt worry too much about yet :P
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    I watching IGP to and decided to try and do this I didn't fully finish the video but this only happened if temp is past 50
  • ech0gh0stech0gh0st CA Join Date: 2016-05-11 Member: 216637Members
    CaptainRon wrote: »
    You can now build in there, apparently you weren't suppose to be burning when you're inside exosuit, cyclops, and seabase... they fixed it the next day of IGP's video.

This hasn't been fixed yet I tested it and I still burn inside of my stuff
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Besides the video showing how bad it's to drive the cyclops through the dark, it shows the bug of heat damage inside the cyclops or prawn suit. But theoretically the reinforced diving suit should circumvent the heat damage, as it lifts the damage heat threshold from 50 to 70 and the suit implementation is almost done.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited September 2016
    CaptainRon wrote: »

I'll believe that once I hear that Stable Mode is fixed (if I remember right, IGP is in Experimental Mode). :)
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    The real issue is an old one: The game does not differentiate between internal and external temperatures.

Meaning that if the water outside your seabase is 70C, then the air inside your seabase is going to be 70C as well. For all their advanced technology we still seem to lack basic air conditioning.

:D
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Besides the video showing how bad it's to drive the cyclops through the dark, it shows the bug of heat damage inside the cyclops or prawn suit. But theoretically the reinforced diving suit should circumvent the heat damage, as it lifts the damage heat threshold from 50 to 70 and the suit implementation is almost done.

I'm gratified every time I see a demonstration of how ungodly awful it is to try to get the Cyclops down into the ILZ or even the Lost River - it's all but impossible. Too many YouTubers just cut to the end of the trip. The Devs need to hear how difficult that is and both fix the Cyclops lights so they aren't worthless and add a sonar upgrade like the Seamoth has. It's not like the Cyclops doesn't have 2 perfectly good, totally unused upgrade slots...
    orobouros wrote: »
    zetachron wrote: »

I'm gratified every time I see a demonstration of how ungodly awful it is to try to get the Cyclops down into the ILZ or even the Lost River - it's all but impossible. Too many YouTubers just cut to the end of the trip. The Devs need to hear how difficult that is and both fix the Cyclops lights so they aren't worthless and add a sonar upgrade like the Seamoth has. It's not like the Cyclops doesn't have 2 perfectly good, totally unused upgrade slots...

The devs know quite well how aweful it is and wish to make it difficult navigating down to the lava zone. It would be easy for them to give the Cyclops a clear vision and navigation like the Seamoth (maybe a bit more with lazy or physical simmy controls), but then you'd have no problems driving down there.

@DagothUr
    Exactly how difficult is it to implement an interior check function to implement internal temperature for an air conditioned system like a vehicle or base would offer? A minute for raw functionality, so how twisted has the engine gotten, that it's almost impossible to implement those interior/exterior checks? I mean it's not like a clipping problem with water or fish inside. They just need an extra shielded heat value, depending on the absorption value of the base or vehicle that derives from the rendered heat from the engine. And a simple inside check.
    I have no idea. I often get the feeling, however, that the game doesn't really differentiate between indoors and outdoors. Rather, the process of moving through hatches only changes the player state. Meaning that values get flagged for the player (Indoors - refill air, use walk animation. Outdoors - consume air, use swim animation) but the interior base itself is not actually differentiated from the exterior ocean. Which also explains why fish will clip through the walls and swim around inside your base: Your base is actually full of water, not air. The game just hides that fact with graphics changes (read: diving mask lens adjust) and player state flags (as previously stated).

It becomes most obvious if you build a base that touches the ocean surface, as you can see the water level of that surface floating around inside your base. It's pretty funny watching waist-high ocean waves inside an observation dome.

In conclusion, the temperature problem is just one facet of a much larger problem. Namely, the slip-shod way they try to pretend that seabase interiors are in any way separated from the ocean. Outside and inside are really just the same thing with different lighting. Only the player-state flags change.
    DagothUr wrote: »
    I have no idea. I often get the feeling, however, that the game doesn't really differentiate between indoors and outdoors. Rather, the process of moving through hatches only changes the player state. Meaning that values get flagged for the player (Indoors - refill air, use walk animation. Outdoors - consume air, use swim animation) but the interior base itself is not actually differentiated from the exterior ocean. Which also explains why fish will clip through the walls and swim around inside your base: Your base is actually full of water, not air. The game just hides that fact with graphics changes (read: diving mask lens adjust) and player state flags (as previously stated).

It becomes most obvious if you build a base that touches the ocean surface, as you can see the water level of that surface floating around inside your base. It's pretty funny watching waist-high ocean waves inside an observation dome.

In conclusion, the temperature problem is just one facet of a much larger problem. Namely, the slip-shod way they try to pretend that seabase interiors are in any way separated from the ocean. Outside and inside are really just the same thing with different lighting. Only the player-state flags change.

It should be easy from a programming standpoint. We have an external engine rendered heat (ext heat), that depends on the heat source and the players distance from the heat source, ignoring any inside/outside situations. Then, we set up an internal heat value (int heat), that is using a simple absorption formula (ext heat - air condition heat lowering = int heat). So using the already existing player checks for being inside a base/vehicle, we can look at the tech that's available for the inside and subtract to get the int heat. A base with std air conditioning might lower the heat by 30, the Seamoth maybe by only 20, the Prawn by 30, the Cyclops by 30. For the damage threshold or heat damage function, it has to read from the int heat value. Outside the int heat is the same as the ext heat, but the function must read the int heat. The reinforced diving suit allows another absorption, but still based on the int heat, as it can be worn inside and outside.

That system makes sense and is easy to implement (unless of course the devs already hardwired the code to ext heat and now would have to check their whole source for changes).
    It would be easy to implement if they had already coded in any actual separation between inside & outside in the main game engine. My point was that they have no done this. That coding would likely require a lot of work, and that work would be in parts of the code that they never want to look at again.

You may also notice that, again because there is no real inside/outside mechanic, your audio doesn't change when indoors either. So let's say you are outside near a volcanic vent and it roars at, say, 100db. Then you build a seabase in that area and go "inside" the base and stand in that exact spot as before. You will still hear the vent at the same 100db. Your seabase walls do not reduce the volume any more than they reduce the temperature.

Again, this saddens me because it seems like something buried deep within the game code and the effort of fixing it suggests that a fix isn't going to happen - ever. It's the kind of thing you either have on the to-do list from the start or just ignore forever & hope no one notices.